The Student Room Group

Psychology question on hippo-campus and neuroscience

I was reading a paper earlier from UCLA about neuro-scientists & their theory of how long-term memory was stored in synapses, anyway, it was disproved and they've now progressed onto the hypothesis that they think long-term memory is now stored in the nucleus of the neurons...My question is that if there has been evidence of the hippocampus having a vital impact on memory, why do neuro-scientists still believe it is stored in the neurons?

Any explanation would genuinely be great, it's not for school or anything, I was just curious to know :smile::smile:
Original post by HanaaDavis
I was reading a paper earlier from UCLA about neuro-scientists & their theory of how long-term memory was stored in synapses, anyway, it was disproved and they've now progressed onto the hypothesis that they think long-term memory is now stored in the nucleus of the neurons...My question is that if there has been evidence of the hippocampus having a vital impact on memory, why do neuro-scientists still believe it is stored in the neurons?

Any explanation would genuinely be great, it's not for school or anything, I was just curious to know :smile::smile:

Not entirely sure I understand your question completely forgive me if I don't but I can say two points: 1) The hippocampus is made up of neurons 2) If you mean neurons more generally throughout the brain, the hippocampus is not the only part of the brain involved in memory, memory is thought to be non-localised and across the brain.
I'm also a bit confused so I'm going to explain a few things and hope it answers your question -

A neuron is a cell that transmits information via synaptic connections to other neurons. Have a look at the diagram below:

synapses.jpg

The brain is made up of around 100 billion neurons; think of it as how the brain passes information along. The hippocampus will be made up of these neurons and will also have connections to other areas of the brain, such as the amygdala, which has also been strongly connected to memory (particularly fear). Memory isn't just stored in the hippocampus, which could be why those scientists were looking into where it's stored on a cellular level? Could you post a link to the paper you read please? I'd be interested to see their research :smile:
Original post by tígertíger
I'm also a bit confused so I'm going to explain a few things and hope it answers your question -

A neuron is a cell that transmits information via synaptic connections to other neurons. Have a look at the diagram below:

The brain is made up of around 100 billion neurons; think of it as how the brain passes information along. The hippocampus will be made up of these neurons and will also have connections to other areas of the brain, such as the amygdala, which has also been strongly connected to memory (particularly fear). Memory isn't just stored in the hippocampus, which could be why those scientists were looking into where it's stored on a cellular level? Could you post a link to the paper you read please? I'd be interested to see their research :smile:

I'd like to see it, I don't understand how they'd prove or disprove memory being stored in the synapses. Or the nucleus either.
Reply 4
Little update: My brother posted this thread, and I've given him a little science lesson on the brain! I have managed to get the paper which he read for you guys and it's pretty cool, using a marine snail they've improved their knowledge of long term memory. The paper is here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141220104133.htm
Original post by HanaaDavis
Little update: My brother posted this thread, and I've given him a little science lesson on the brain! I have managed to get the paper which he read for you guys and it's pretty cool, using a marine snail they've improved their knowledge of long term memory. The paper is here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141220104133.htm

They've been using that snail thing for like the last 100 years to study the brain. Their neurons are bigger so its easier to take measurements. Also, invertebrates aren't protected by any government regulation on animal experimentation. I guess PETA dont care about snails either :/

Also, its worth mentioning that its only hypothesised that the hippocampus stores EPISODIC / SPATIAL memories, none of which were tested in this invertebrate (invertebrates don't have hippocampi as far as i know!, or episodic memories).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending