The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Bunny2014
Thats a good idea, what do you think the exam is likely to be on?

I think probably Nazi consolidation of power :smile: but not sure about the other question

Nazi consolidation of power and Kaiserreich are my predictions - probably social and economic problems :smile:
Original post by CD223
Nazi consolidation of power and Kaiserreich are my predictions - probably social and economic problems :smile:

How do you think they'd phrase a question about the economy? Definitely likely as the specification specifically mentions 'economic modernisation' as one of the main key themes in the 2nd reich, 1900-14.
Reply 182
Original post by tggfootymad
How do you think they'd phrase a question about the economy? Definitely likely as the specification specifically mentions 'economic modernisation' as one of the main key themes in the 2nd reich, 1900-14.

I'd say they'd ask something along the lines of:
"To what extent did Wilhelmine Germany undergo economic transformation in the years 1900-14?"
Reply 183
Does anyone have access to a topic by topic set of questions for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here is a series of questions that will help you prepare for the find of questions that might appear on the exam paper.

The Second Reich

June 2012 part a) question:

To what extent was Germany a parliamentary democracy in the years 1900-1914?

June 2013 part a) question:

To what extent did the social and political tensions that existed within the Second Reich increase during the First World War?

‘The political establishment in Germany succeeded in maintaining the political status quo through a policy of moderate reform’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘The First World War increased rather than narrowed Germany’s political divisions’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘The impact of the First World War merely heightened existing social and political tensions which had divided Germany before 1914.’ How far do you agree with this judgement?

The Weimar Republic

June 2011 part a) question:

To what extent was the effective government of Germany in the years 1919-33 handicapped by the nature of the Weimar Constitution?

How far do you agree that the new Weimar Republic was seriously threatened by political extremists in the years 1919-24?

‘By May 1919 the German revolution had brought about remarkably little change in Germany’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

To what extent would it be true to say that the payment of reparations was the main cause of Germany’s post-war economic problems?

How far would it be true to say that the German economic collapse in 1923 was self-inflicted?

‘Between 1918 and 1923, the governments of the Weimar Republic were largely successful in coping with Germany’s economic problems.’ How far would you agree with this view?

How valid was Stresemann’s view that, from the mid-1920s, Germany was ‘dancing on a volcano’?

‘It had fundamental weaknesses and these meant that it remained a fragile institution throughout the period 1919-32.’ How far do you agree with this opinion of the Weimar Republic?

‘The main threat to the stability of the Weimar Republic in the period 1919 to 1923 came from the political violence of the extreme right’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘Doomed from the beginning’. How far do you agree with this assessment of the Weimar Republic?

‘Germany experienced a period of political calm, economic development and social progress in the mid-1920s’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

The Rise of the Nazi Party and Consolidation of Power

June 2010 Part a) question:

‘Hitler became Chancellor in January 1933 because he was the leader of the most popular party in Germany’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

June 2012 Part a) question:

‘The transformation in the fortunes of the Nazi Party in the years 1930-33 was largely because of Hitler’s remarkable talents as a politician’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

‘No more than a fringe irritant in German politics’. How far do you agree with this view of the strength of the Nazi Party in the years 1920-9?

‘Hitler came to power legally and within the system. He used a system that was seriously flawed.’ How valid is this interpretation of the means by which Hitler was appointed Chancellor of Germany?

‘People voted NSDAP more out of dislike for Weimar’s democracy rather than support for Hitler’s policies.’ To what extent do you agree with this view?

To what extent was Hitler personally responsible for the Nazis gaining power in Germany in 1933?

In what ways did the economic depression of the years 1929-33 help to increase support for the Nazi Party?

‘The strength of Nazism lay in the Protestant and predominantly rural area of the North German plain rather than in the big cities and in the industrial areas.’ To what extent do you agree with this view?

To what extent did Hitler consolidate his Chancellorship by the end of 1933?

‘Nazi consolidation of power in 1933 was primarily due to the use of terror and violence’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘The role played by the traditional elite was the main factor in bringing Hitler to power in January 1933’.
How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘Hitler came to power because of conservative miscalculation’.

‘Hitler came to power, not because of the strength of the NSDAP but because of the weakness of the opposition’.

‘Propaganda was the most important factor in the growth of support for the Nazi party in the period to July 1932’.

The Third Reich during the Second World War

‘The Final Solution evolved because of the chaotic nature of the Nazi regime in the years 1939-42’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

June 2011 Part a) question:
To what extent did the Nazi regime face serious opposition within Germany during the years 1939-45?

‘The Second World War made the Final Solution inevitable’. How far would you agree with this view?

To what extent might it be claimed that the military represented the only real threat to Hitler’s regime?

To what extent was the economy geared for war during the years 1933-9?

‘The handling of the economy was poorly co-ordinated and this accounts for the weaknesses in German war production in the years 1939-45’. How far do you agree with this view?

‘Systematic extermination emerged as the Final Solution to the Jewish Question as a result of the chaotic nature of the Nazi state’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

Part b)

WWI Controversy

June 2010
‘German aggression was responsible for the outbreak of a general European war in August 1914’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2011
‘To what extent was the nature of the Schlieffen Plan responsible for the outbreak of a general European war in August 1914? How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2012
‘The First World War did not arise primarily as a result of planned German aggression’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2013
The First World War arose primarily as a result of German aggression’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

Nazi Controversy

June 2010
To what extent do you agree with the view that Hitler was a ‘non-interventionist dictator’ (Source 4, line 32)? How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2011
How far do you agree that Hitler’s Regime was a ‘consensus dictatorship’ (Source 4, line 36)? How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2012
‘Hitler was a dictator who did not dictate’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

June 2013
How far do you agree with the view that ‘After 1933 most Germans readily accepted the Fuhrer, Adolf Hitler’ (Source 4, line 30)?
Hope that helps !! Is it possible if anyone can PM me with essay plans for some of the questions above and any possible essays done for Part B on Nazi consolidation of power!! How is everyone revising for this subject as really struggling, I have my revision notes book and the edexcel student support book!! Are you doing essay plans or just notes ?!! Please help, thank you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by Finnskilongmuir
Here is a series of questions that will help you prepare for the find of questions that might appear on the exam paper.

The Second Reich

June 2012 part a) question:

To what extent was Germany a parliamentary democracy in the years 1900-1914?

To what extent did the social and political tensions that existed within the Second Reich increase during the First World War?

‘The political establishment in Germany succeeded in maintaining the political status quo through a policy of moderate reform’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘The First World War increased rather than narrowed Germany’s political divisions’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘The impact of the First World War merely heightened existing social and political tensions which had divided Germany before 1914.’ How far do you agree with this judgement?

The Weimar Republic

June 2011 part a) question:

To what extent was the effective government of Germany in the years 1919-33 handicapped by the nature of the Weimar Constitution?

How far do you agree that the new Weimar Republic was seriously threatened by political extremists in the years 1919-24?

‘By May 1919 the German revolution had brought about remarkably little change in Germany’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

To what extent would it be true to say that the payment of reparations was the main cause of Germany’s post-war economic problems?

How far would it be true to say that the German economic collapse in 1923 was self-inflicted?

‘Between 1918 and 1923, the governments of the Weimar Republic were largely successful in coping with Germany’s economic problems.’ How far would you agree with this view?

How valid was Stresemann’s view that, from the mid-1920s, Germany was ‘dancing on a volcano’?

‘It had fundamental weaknesses and these meant that it remained a fragile institution throughout the period 1919-32.’ How far do you agree with this opinion of the Weimar Republic?

‘The main threat to the stability of the Weimar Republic in the period 1919 to 1923 came from the political violence of the extreme right’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘Doomed from the beginning’. How far do you agree with this assessment of the Weimar Republic?

‘Germany experienced a period of political calm, economic development and social progress in the mid-1920s’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

The Rise of the Nazi Party and Consolidation of Power

‘Hitler became Chancellor in January 1933 because he was the leader of the most popular party in Germany’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

June 2012 Part a) question:

‘The transformation in the fortunes of the Nazi Party in the years 1930-33 was largely because of Hitler’s remarkable talents as a politician’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

‘No more than a fringe irritant in German politics’. How far do you agree with this view of the strength of the Nazi Party in the years 1920-9?

‘Hitler came to power legally and within the system. He used a system that was seriously flawed.’ How valid is this interpretation of the means by which Hitler was appointed Chancellor of Germany?

‘People voted NSDAP more out of dislike for Weimar’s democracy rather than support for Hitler’s policies.’ To what extent do you agree with this view?

To what extent was Hitler personally responsible for the Nazis gaining power in Germany in 1933?

In what ways did the economic depression of the years 1929-33 help to increase support for the Nazi Party?

‘The strength of Nazism lay in the Protestant and predominantly rural area of the North German plain rather than in the big cities and in the industrial areas.’ To what extent do you agree with this view?

To what extent did Hitler consolidate his Chancellorship by the end of 1933?

‘Nazi consolidation of power in 1933 was primarily due to the use of terror and violence’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

‘The role played by the traditional elite was the main factor in bringing Hitler to power in January 1933’.

‘Hitler came to power because of conservative miscalculation’.

‘Hitler came to power, not because of the strength of the NSDAP but because of the weakness of the opposition’.

‘Propaganda was the most important factor in the growth of support for the Nazi party in the period to July 1932’.

The Third Reich during the Second World War

‘The Final Solution evolved because of the chaotic nature of the Nazi regime in the years 1939-42’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

June 2011 Part a) question:
To what extent did the Nazi regime face serious opposition within Germany during the years 1939-45?

‘The Second World War made the Final Solution inevitable’. How far would you agree with this view?

To what extent might it be claimed that the military represented the only real threat to Hitler’s regime?

To what extent was the economy geared for war during the years 1933-9?

‘The handling of the economy was poorly co-ordinated and this accounts for the weaknesses in German war production in the years 1939-45’. How far do you agree with this view?

‘Systematic extermination emerged as the Final Solution to the Jewish Question as a result of the chaotic nature of the Nazi state’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

Part b)

WWI Controversy

June 2010
‘German aggression was responsible for the outbreak of a general European war in August 1914’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2011
‘To what extent was the nature of the Schlieffen Plan responsible for the outbreak of a general European war in August 1914? How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2012
‘The First World War did not arise primarily as a result of planned German aggression’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2013
The First World War arose primarily as a result of German aggression’. How far do you agree with this judgement?

Nazi Controversy

June 2010
To what extent do you agree with the view that Hitler was a ‘non-interventionist dictator’ (Source 4, line 32)? How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2011
How far do you agree that Hitler’s Regime was a ‘consensus dictatorship’ (Source 4, line 36)? How far do you agree with this judgement?

June 2012
‘Hitler was a dictator who did not dictate’. How far do you agree with this opinion?

June 2013
How far do you agree with the view that ‘After 1933 most Germans readily accepted the Fuhrer, Adolf Hitler’ (Source 4, line 30)?

That's brilliant!, thank you.

I will attempt to start planning these soon. I'll get back to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cuppa
I just tried to answer the controversy question for B From June 2011 for homework, and at 750 words it translates into just under 3 sides written out by hand. The teacher tells us the goal is about 5 or 6 sides -- I can't believe how little I have to say about this haha. PLEEEENTY of room for improvement it seems :biggrin:

I hope your teacher's wrong, don't think it's possible for me to write that much in the time if I did it non-stop plus with time to think and highlight sources! lol

I've tried controversy B questions twice on Germany war blame under timed conditions, and both times managed to do 4 sides only :frown:
Original post by pearl_rose
How has everyone been revising for this exam? I'm a bit undecided on how best to revise... I think I might order the 'myrevisionnotes' book soon though

I've been doing overview diagrams to organise info in each area e.g. hyperinflation and then typed up notes to expand on headings I've put in there

When I've finished my notes and get time to, i'll try uploading them to here
Original post by WilliamSlim
Doing past papers for my teacher to mark (only 2 students in class) and answering the key questions in the Collier and Layton books, as well as mindmaps for the different periods and possible exam questions.

I thought our class was small! We have 4 people :biggrin:
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
I thought our class was small! We have 4 people :biggrin:

haha yeah, tbh i'd prefer a larger class, it made AS more fun discussing it with the class imo.
Reply 191
I hope your teacher's wrong, don't think it's possible for me to write that much in the time if I did it non-stop plus with time to think and highlight sources! lol

I've tried controversy B questions twice on Germany war blame under timed conditions, and both times managed to do 4 sides only :frown:

Quantity is not a clear sign of quality!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
I've been doing overview diagrams to organise info in each area e.g. hyperinflation and then typed up notes to expand on headings I've put in there

When I've finished my notes and get time to, i'll try uploading them to here

That sounds great! If you do happen to upload them - would you mind if I added them to the first post?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by WilliamSlim
haha yeah, tbh i'd prefer a larger class, it made AS more fun discussing it with the class imo.

My class is 20 people which does drag class time out. We've not finished the syllabus and that's even with skipping the Nazi controversy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I think that is why my teacher is making us only answer the WW1 controversy. We're skipping the other one which apparently saves us around 5 weeks revision which I quite like.

How are you finding the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're all so lucky, I have to do both controversies! :frown:
Original post by CD223
That sounds great! If you do happen to upload them - would you mind if I added them to the first post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, that'd be fine :smile:
Reply 196

Not to worry to be honest -- like CD223 said, quantity isn't quality. The exam paper seems to fit less writing in it anyway, so that's fine! As long as we make enough good points to be honest.
Reply 197
Original post by angellayerr
You're all so lucky, I have to do both controversies! :frown:

Oh no! We didn't get the choice - my teacher made us do the World War One controvery - which do you find easiest? Have you finished the course?

No, that'd be fine :smile:

Oh cool - thank you! Drop me a PM or quote me on here and I'll be sure to add them. When my notes I've been making are complete I'll also be adding mine!

Original post by cuppa
Not to worry to be honest -- like CD223 said, quantity isn't quality. The exam paper seems to fit less writing in it anyway, so that's fine! As long as we make enough good points to be honest.

The paper isn't very generous on space I must admit. But it's a good indication that they're looking for shorter, concise answers that have specific detail rather than long answers that waffle! :rolleyes:
Original post by CD223
Oh no! We didn't get the choice - my teacher made us do the World War One controvery - which do you find easiest? Have you finished the course?

Oh cool - thank you! Drop me a PM or quote me on here and I'll be sure to add them. When my notes I've been making are complete I'll also be adding mine!

The paper isn't very generous on space I must admit. But it's a good indication that they're looking for shorter, concise answers that have specific detail rather than long answers that waffle! :rolleyes:

I find the WW1 controversy easier, but we haven't done the other one fully yet :frown: so behind!!! Wish we had just done 1 to be honest!
Reply 199
Original post by angellayerr
I find the WW1 controversy easier, but we haven't done the other one fully yet :frown: so behind!!! Wish we had just done 1 to be honest!

Oh right! I would read ahead into the chaptor on wartime Germany if I were you :smile:

In terms of revision - just make sure you choose one controversy to revise. That may well be WW1 if it's easier for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending