The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Ooo thank you for that!! Very helpful. I prefer the causation questions, mainly because I'm used to structuring them from AS last year.
Also, regarding the judgement question, do you have to give a solid yes or no answer? What if I don't come to a solid conclusion, only stating that the Stresseman years had it's successes and failures and had supporting evidence of this showcasing that it was not successful but not a complete failure either? As this would be your judgement?
(I know someone who did this in an exam and came out with a B then got it remarked for an A)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would always recommend making a solid yes/no conclusion rather than sitting on the fence. You can, however say "whilst ... to a certain extent, overall the extent (of change etc.) was limited" or vice versa.

I'm pretty sure the mark scheme awards a high mark for a clear conclusion rather than simply appreciating both sides of the argument but not judging which is most convincing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by Tow
AQA does Maths? What? I didn't even know they did anything aside from science xD

Everyone does Edexcel maths!!!

But yeah Maths is fine. Although I have a feeling I've been underestimating it. I've seen a few weird questions that would put off even the best mathematicians. I'm definitely going for an A* in Maths and it would be a real shame if I got anything below simply because of my progress through the year xD

Well we'll have to wait and see!

RE is the hardest subject I do. I'm going for an A for that one because A* is very unlikely. I could get it, but it's just so damn hard xD something like that wouldn't put me off but there's another issue: examiners in RE are like retarded...

I got marked down by 20 marks because I used asterisks in a paper. It's out of 90 so I got 67 which was a scrape A in one of the papers.... I know. My teacher complained but we all know the exam board don't give a **** xD so I had to suck it up.

Then you have people like this girl in my class who wrote EVERYTHING WRONG! Like didn't even answer the question and she got 88/90. That's right. 88/90. Again, that's right. 88/90.

K.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol yeah they do maths. Humanities subjects are so subjective, it's awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I would always recommend making a solid yes/no conclusion rather than sitting on the fence. You can, however say "whilst ... to a certain extent, overall the extent (of change etc.) was limited" or vice versa.

I'm pretty sure the mark scheme awards a high mark for a clear conclusion rather than simply appreciating both sides of the argument but not judging which is most convincing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.

If you don't show a coherent line of argument you won't get the top band.

Thing is, there's not much difference between an A grade and A* grade essay, even a B grade sometimes. The only thing is the links made and the intro/conclusion. The content would be expected to be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Lol yeah they do maths. Humanities subjects are so subjective, it's awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did English last year and they wanted me to take it as a 4th A-level. I swear I was gonna stick my middle finger up at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow
You shouldn't sit on the fence. That's considered bad. You need to show a line of argument and the ONLY way to do this is by stick on one side. This is of course if you're aiming for that top A/A*. I'm surprised you're friend got marked up, a B is quite high for someone who sat on the fence for the essay. XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys!! That really helped. :biggrin:
Yeah I think the reason he got the higher marks was because he did have a line of argument but worded in a way that basically correlated with his conclusion, if that makes sense?

But yeah I always make a solid judgement, I was just wondering in case the question that does come up blind sides me and I won't have enough points/evidence for both supporting sides haha. Hopefully that won't happen. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 585
Original post by Tow
Exactly.

If you don't show a coherent line of argument you won't get the top band.

Thing is, there's not much difference between an A grade and A* grade essay, even a B grade sometimes. The only thing is the links made and the intro/conclusion. The content would be expected to be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any examples of an A^ essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Original post by Tow
I did English last year and they wanted me to take it as a 4th A-level. I swear I was gonna stick my middle finger up at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing 4 A2s and maintaining a part time job and a social life has been near impossible this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
Thanks guys!! That really helped. :biggrin:
Yeah I think the reason he got the higher marks was because he did have a line of argument but worded in a way that basically correlated with his conclusion, if that makes sense?

But yeah I always make a solid judgement, I was just wondering in case the question that does come up blind sides me and I won't have enough points/evidence for both supporting sides haha. Hopefully that won't happen. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries!

I think we all fear that haha! Hopefully it doesn't happen though.

My teacher personally thinks German revolution 1918-1919 and Nazi consolidation of power 1933 for part a. What are your/your teacher's predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Doing 4 A2s and maintaining a part time job and a social life has been near impossible this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but doing English as that 4th A2 is a whole new level. English isn't like any other extra A level, it should be considered 2 A levels for the amount of work you have to put in. Very hard xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Do you have any examples of an A^ essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have my essays, some are A*s. I don't have them though, I gave them to my friends xD I'll write another one soon and get it marked for you guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries!

My teacher personally thinks German revolution 1918-1919 and Nazi consolidation of power 1933 for part a. What are your/your teacher's predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my teacher doesn't think Weimer will come up. But who knows! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
Original post by Tow
Yeah but doing English as that 4th A2 is a whole new level. English isn't like any other extra A level, it should be considered 2 A levels for the amount of work you have to put in. Very hard x
Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol computing coursework has been the bane of my life this year. Had to create a ticket booking system for my local theatre, on top of preparing for a 3 hour theory exam :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
Original post by Tow
I have my essays, some are A*s. I don't have them though, I gave them to my friends xD I'll write another one soon and get it marked for you guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thanks!

I'll ask what I got in my Hitler consolidation essay and post it here if it's good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Cool thanks!

I'll ask what I got in my Hitler consolidation essay and post it here if it's good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm home-schooled but my tutor thinks Nazi Consolidation will come up as it hasn't come up before (as far as we can tell anyway lol) and maybe the Kaiser Reich so basically the same as you! I'm pretty confident with Nazi Consolidation but still refreshing on Kaiser-Reich. I doubt Weimar will come up this year as it's the last year of the spec and it comes up quite a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 595

Found out I'm not getting it back until 20th May -,-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 596
I'm home-schooled but my tutor thinks Nazi Consolidation will come up as it hasn't come up before (as far as we can tell anyway lol) and maybe the Kaiser Reich so basically the same as you! I'm pretty confident with Nazi Consolidation but still refreshing on Kaiser-Reich. I doubt Weimar will come up this year as it's the last year of the spec and it comes up quite a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's quite funny that there's a collective push for Nazi consolidation questions this year. I'll be gutted if it doesn't come up now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It's quite funny that there's a collective push for Nazi consolidation questions this year. I'll be gutted if it doesn't come up now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh gosh, I was just thinking this! But I'm not taking that risk, I'm just trying to learn all that I can :smile: making essay plans after my exams this week! What stage of revision are you in now, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 598
Oh gosh, I was just thinking this! But I'm not taking that risk, I'm just trying to learn all that I can :smile: making essay plans after my exams this week! What stage of revision are you in now, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Yeah no point putting all eggs in one basket! I'm just reading my revision guides and going through flash cards I've made :smile: planned essays but I don't personally find writing them useful haha.

My first exam is 5th June so I like this stage atm. Hoping time goes slowly the next couple of weeks lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imagine if Edexcel was watching this post and saw that we predicted Nazi consolidation and then decided to change it last minute xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending