The Student Room Group

OCD/Anxiety Issues and Student Accomodation

Hello!
I've been browsing this form looking around but I've not found much in regards to what I'm curious about - most discussions are in regards to DSA which is not what I'm after at all.

Having OCD and living with strangers!
Or general anxiety issues, I feel that I'm going to have to cast a wider net here. :tongue:

And before the well intentioned soul wanders in looking to lend a kind word, it's appreciated! But there's a great deal of difference between "being very 'OCD'" about your living space and "having unavoidable and sometimes self destructive compulsions" about your living space. I'm on the "it's 2 AM but I must remove all traces of contamination from my room lest the demon bugs eat my toenail clippings" (haha! :rolleyes: ) end of the scale, so it's a slightly different ball park. :colondollar:

To all of the students that have OCD or other anxiety issues, how have you managed to deal with student accomodation?
:confused:

I've had major issues with it myself, the first time I attempted university I stayed in halls in a galaxy far, far away from home.
Whilst I enjoyed the general environment, due to unfair situations I found my OCD building from mild (like background noise!) to dominating my every day life and becoming notably severe (like a heavy metal mosh pit you never wanted to be in!).
This became such an issue that due to that and other circumstance, I had to leave my initial university and have since began a new course at a local university with a foundation year.

For the foundation year I've been at home, which is nice, but I feel as though I am missing out on the friendship groups that form and experiences that I had access to when I was in halls. I know that you can still make friends when you're at home, but I find it's a bit different when you miss out on the spontaneous parties and late night trips to the local supermarket or playing stupid games with the flat opposite. Some people manage making friends without being involved with that, but sadly I am not one of those outgoing souls!

But! It's not just as simple as going back into student accommodation.
I now have more prerequisites than students without mental health issues would have. I mean an ensuite is nice indeed, but when having access to your own is a fundamental part of your mental well being it stops being as much fun as it could be. :redface:
I'm already in contact with my university about my mental health issues, but as I'm looking to move into local private halls due to their smaller capacities. I mean there's nothing wrong with uni owned halls, but living with like 1000 other people isn't what I'm about, y'know? I'll need to barter with each hall on an individual basis about my circumstances.

So I'm curious - to those that have had mental health issues of similar or the same classification dealt with the issues of trying to live with people who think every day is freshers week?
Any thoughts or anecdotes on the situation will be much appreciated, good or bad.
:cool:

(And just to throw this out there, I have a sense of humour on the issue of my own OCD. Sometimes all you can do is laugh, ya get me?)
Original post by Mouarf
x

Oh gosh, my OCD during first year was terrible. Lived with some incredibly messy people who felt that keeping raw chicken on the kitchen surface for 3-4 days was acceptable :frown:. Had a fair share of arguments, but then eventually met a really good group of friends and we ended up moving into private accommodation together!

I felt that being straight off the bat with people and letting them know was the best way forward. Most people tend to be quite accepting and it wasn't that bad other than the chicken incident......doesn't help that I'm a vegetarian either lol.

(Ps still awake because I've just tiered the entire flat....twice!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by PharmingDoc
Oh gosh, my OCD during first year was terrible. Lived with some incredibly messy people who felt that keeping raw chicken on the kitchen surface for 3-4 days was acceptable :frown:. Had a fair share of arguments, but then eventually met a really good group of friends and we ended up moving into private accommodation together!

I felt that being straight off the bat with people and letting them know was the best way forward. Most people tend to be quite accepting and it wasn't that bad other than the chicken incident......doesn't help that I'm a vegetarian either lol.

(Ps still awake because I've just tiered the entire flat....twice!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was acceptance the general trend? I've never been upfront about my OCD among my peers, only with members of authority. Still a bit skittish as I don't really know how most people without the equality training would react. :redface:

I'd just worry about people taking offence with stuff if an argument did start, but I suppose if they know in the back of their minds the reasons behind it they wouldn't be too upset!

Although raw chicken? You don't even need OCD to think that's bit gross! :eek: Someone obviously didn't pass food tech!

I hope that you got enough sleep! :smile:
Original post by Mouarf
Was acceptance the general trend? I've never been upfront about my OCD among my peers, only with members of authority. Still a bit skittish as I don't really know how most people without the equality training would react. :redface:

I'd just worry about people taking offence with stuff if an argument did start, but I suppose if they know in the back of their minds the reasons behind it they wouldn't be too upset!

Although raw chicken? You don't even need OCD to think that's bit gross! :eek: Someone obviously didn't pass food tech!

I hope that you got enough sleep! :smile:

Only thing that puts me to sleep are sleep pills when I have an OCD moment lol. Yeah to be honest once they got past the "what's ODC...is it even real?" questions they were fine.

Yep the chicken situation was horrible, at one point they used it as a drinking game....don't ask :frown: lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending