The Student Room Group

Listening to a song overnight changes the way it sounds completely.

Scroll to see replies

i had 4 songs on repeat last night, and i wome up around 8 with them still playing. they were drunk, my ordinary life, love i need, and sunburn, all by the living tombstone... love i need and my ordinary life sound different, i can't hear the high pitches very well anymore, but drunk and sunburn sound pretty normal. i really like all of those songs and i hope if i just don't listen to them for a few days, they'll go back.
Original post by ummm
I've found on many occasions that if I listen to a specific song on repeat whilst I sleep, it sounds very different when I play it again the next day. I usually have to check that it actually is the same version of the song. I can't pinpoint what specifically sounds different. It just sounds like a cover of the song. It's hard to describe.

I googled it and others have had similar experience.

It happened to me last night with "Power of Love" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Have any of you found this?

Despite this being 5 years ago, I feel relieved to know that I'm not the only one that's been through this!!! Haha
Original post by AnimeAmie
Yea, I've had this same experience while listening to 1-800 Logic overnight. I was completely weirded out when it sounded really bad the next day. I absolutely love the song but now I can't bare to listen to it anymore. The Rs sound like L's and the whole song sounds like a jumbled mess.

All of Logics music sounds like L's tbh...
Am I the only one wondering why tf everyone's playing a song on loop overnight?
If it's a calming enough song (Or like Marconi Union's
Yes same but I also can’t remember the words it’s like the lyrics are now mix match
(edited 3 years ago)
Maybe :biggrin:
Reply 27
lol i listen to all my favorite songs overnight just because i like the way it sounds after, it usually wears off after a day.
This happens as well, I sleep with the same song on loop (agoraphobic-corpse husband, playboy ****-black bear), and everyday in general, and each time I listen to it just sounds different, some words are pronounced differently, the melody differs as well, different pitches and it confuses me. I'm glad I ain't the only one. Right now I'm listening to Agoraphobia and it sounds different each time it starts playing again. Playboy **** sounds different as well all the time.... it's confusing ngl.
For new people here worried about whether it will get better, for me it did eventually. (It just happened to me for the fourth time so I have experience)What I did was just not listen to the song for at least 3 months, then see if it's still a jumbled mess/distorted/unharmonic or whatever it was. Worked for my first and third time and I can normally listen to it now. The song from the second time still has some distorted tendencies of which I don't know whether it is just the song or my brain. Fourth just happened 10 minutes ago so we'll see.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ummm
I've found on many occasions that if I listen to a specific song on repeat whilst I sleep, it sounds very different when I play it again the next day. I usually have to check that it actually is the same version of the song. I can't pinpoint what specifically sounds different. It just sounds like a cover of the song. It's hard to describe.

I googled it and others have had similar experience.

It happened to me last night with "Power of Love" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Have any of you found this?

yes yes.
i once set one of my songs as a morning alarm. The alarm however rings for long before i actually hear it.
I started feeling something quite different about the song in just 3 weeks.
The whole song just sounds utterly weird.
I use over-ear headphones which fall off quickly, but regardless this happens a lot to me, depending on how much you have listened to the song and how the song sounds to begin with it can be a day to a few weeks, basically once you forget about it, and as to falling asleep to songs works because you don’t think when listening to songs, it helps induce dreams which besides being a bit harsh for your ears is better than medicine. Any distracting sounds can work. Earbuds are the worst. Having your music stop after a while can help a lot, most phones and music apps have features like this built in.
To everyone experiencing this, it can be fixed, some methods might work better for others or they might not work at all. Method 1, already mentioned several times, wait. This is the slowest and least effective, I have waited over a year and nothing. 2 put the song on repeat and sleep again. This might distort it more or reverse it. 3 listen to the song at high volume while ONLY concentrating on the song and your task. If it’s working out then only focus on your workout and the song. Final method, most extreme but has most likely the highest success rate, I do not recommend you do this though as it’s very extreme. Knockout, concussion or coma. This will effectively reset all songs and distortion. NEVER EVER TRY METHOD 4 UNLESS YOU LITERALLY CANT LIVE WITHOUT THE SONG. At least one of the 3 safe methods should work but it will take time. Good luck to you all and I hope you regain the joy of your songs.
Oh btw a lot of you seem to be confused, this is caused by REM (rapid eye movement) in your sleep, which also causes dreams, blocking out the song because it just thinks it is regular background noise, it essentially memorized it, breaks it down, and messes up the sounds, which causes the distortion. For example, the song might sound slower, some instruments might be deeper or more noticable etc
That literally just happened to me today, boys don't cry by the cure, the guitar is completely wrong, a whole chord has changed, the singing is completely off aswell, I now hate it its been completely ****ed up
Sorry, but this is identical to what happened in Crowley's Bentley (Good Omens) ...
yes it goes away after you don't listen to the song for a long time. But kind of, it won't sound like complete 🗑️ but it will still sound a little weird but not as bad as before. Just don't listen to the song for a very long time I this happens, then your mind will forget about then it will sound kind of normal.
Reply 37
Bruh I Listened To Loafers By BoyWithUke Overnight And Now It Sounds Like A Doo-Doo Song.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 38
I Found A Solution
All You Have To Do Is Listen To The Instrumental Version
Then Listen To The Original Version
Hope This Helps (:
Reply 39
Original post by Jib381
I Found A Solution
All You Have To Do Is Listen To The Instrumental Version
Then Listen To The Original Version
Hope This Helps (:

i have a friend who experiences this and this helped it for him. also, listening to each of the tracks in the song, listening to the song unmixed/a lot less mixed than original, any melodies or sounds played in a different instrument/tone also helped fix it. having him listen to a slowed down and reverbed version also helped a lot in recovering the original version. listening to covers also helped

does anyone know the name of this phenomena?
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest