The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

High calibre students at London Met, UEL, London South Bank or similar

Do you know anyone that has been to lower ranked universities such as these with straight A*s/As at GCSE and GCE A level?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Raymat,

I personnaly made a thorough study of London Met to advise one close friend's kid .
This well located uni has a very diverse pool of students ,from all the corners of the earth to all different backgrounds
I advise you to visit it by youself and forge your own opinion
Some departments (IR,food science,archiecture) are well ranked and staff is top notched.
It is not a classical UK university with a campus surrounded by beautiful gardens and adorned with dome shaped building but it definitely deserves your attention if you are open minded !
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Original post by trump1
Hi Raymat,

I personnaly made a thorough study of London Met to advise one close friend's kid .
This well located uni has a very diverse pool of students ,from all the corners of the earth to all different backgrounds
I advise you to visit it by youself and forge your own opinion
Some departments (IR,food science,archiecture) are well ranked and staff is top notched.
It is not a classical UK university with a campus surrounded by beautiful gardens and adorned with dome shaped building but it definitely deserves your attention if you are open minded !

Do you think it is a good uni? I only live a few minutes away from London Met and I always walk pass it when I go Job Centre about every week. I'm assuming it has a high proportion of mature student. Am I right? Are you choosing to go London Met? What other universities have you applied for?
Reply 3
1.Do you think it is a good uni?
As I said, some departments are very competitive (Architecture, food science, creative writing,International relations, Law)
On a general note,this uni used to lag behind in UK ranking but with the arrival of a new Vice Chancellor, many positive developments are expected ( 2nd year and 3 rd year tutors for the beginners,more internship and placement opportunities,"horizon" program).A huge brand new laboratory will improve prospects in science studies
Therefore,I am pretty confident the whole uni ranking will improve in the near future.their admission criteria were more lenient than others but might change soon
Go and visit the place during open days, talk with students, professors and get your own opinion despite the opposing opinions from other people on this site
Study hard,try to get a 1st or a 2.1 BA degree and many opportunities might appear
Besides,you are in central London and candidly speaking,you are very close to potential recruiters...
2. I'm assuming it has a high proportion of mature student.
Indeed,it may be a disadvantage if you are young and want to meet new young friends but conversely,interacting with older people will make you understand the way you must study and look for a job
.London Met has also a high percentage of EU and beyond students
Advantages: meeting people from different countries will widen your views in fields like science,finance,International relations
Drawbacks:some students used to have a bad level of English but London Met has drastically toughened up their demand for enrollment
3. Are you choosing to go London Met
I was asked to advise a kid who is currently doing well at London Met
4.What other universities have you applied for?
Through UCAS, you may apply for 5 unis and he got offers for Kingston,East London,London Met
London location was a prerequisite for personal reasons
East London is rather remote (Canary wharf and next to London City airport for one campus),Kingston is a beautiful town with a decent uni ,South of London but too far away from London for him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending