The Student Room Group

Scientific proof for astrology

Scroll to see replies

Its categorically not real.Seriously you do realise that constellations are just random pictures in the sky drawn by ancient peoples.If they'd seen different pictures in the sky then the constellations would be completely different.Plus the fact that due to the precession of the earth the stars arent even in the same places as when the constellations were made.The idea that somehow random connections drawn between stars that are trillions of miles from each other can affect your life is ludicrous and the very worst kind of pseudoscience.You know what does work for predicting the future though?Science.We can predict to the day exactly when halleys comet will appear again.
Original post by nulli tertius
If you tell me that you are going to the seaside with a girl, merely by looking at the heavens I can tell you whether it is likely you will go for a moonlit stroll on the beach.

And that is how astrology started.

If I know the tide is in or the moon is new, I know you won't be going for a moonlit stroll on the beach.

If I can tell Pharoah when the Nile will flood, Pharoah will ask me the most auspicious time to start building his pyramid.

Hmm well if this is astrology then yes it certainly does have its uses... but that sounds more like astronomy/astrophysics to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Implication
Hmm well if this is astrology then yes it certainly does have its uses... but that sounds more like astronomy/astrophysics to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something is only science once you know how it happens; otherwise it is magic.
I believe in astrology as natal charts never lie, and have never lied so far :P Plus, the planets in the solar system have some sort of influence to Earth, let's say, with their gravity, energy, and stuff. (I'm not an expert in science but I believe that universe has some kind of order, and each substance is interconnected) :smile:

Indeed, any magic that exists must have rules governing how it works, and the investigation of those rules would be considered science. So I guess the question is how you define the distinction between astrology and astronomy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that is true. Quantum mechanics probably counts as magic by that definition.

Science is a method. The method is to propose a model that produces a consistent set of predictions, then test them against observations.

If you have a model that makes no apparent sense, but correctly predicts tides, then fine.

Astrology is not scientific because it either produces predictions that don't match observations, or it produces predictions that are too vague to compare with observations, and no one in astrology is making a good faith effort to fix these problems.
Original post by Observatory
I don't think that is true. Quantum mechanics probably counts as magic by that definition.

Science is a method. The method is to propose a model that produces a consistent set of predictions, then test them against observations.

If you have a model that makes no apparent sense, but correctly predicts tides, then fine.

Astrology is not scientific because it either produces predictions that don't match observations, or it produces predictions that are too vague to compare with observations, and no one in astrology is making a good faith effort to fix these problems.

QM is not really any more magical than classical mechanics, except it's less intuitive. Asking 'how' something happens in physics is a sure-fire way to get confused. Are you asking for the set of proximate causes that can lead to an event, or our current best model for how the universe behaves wrt said event? :holmes:

edit: but i agree
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Implication
QM is not really any more magical than classical mechanics, except it's less intuitive. Asking 'how' something happens in physics is a sure-fire way to get confused. Are you asking for the set of proximate causes that can lead to an event, or our current best model for how the universe behaves wrt said event? :holmes:

I am making the opposite argument to the one you are criticising.
I am making the opposite argument to the one you are criticising.

See edit :tongue:
Original post by Tamuna10
I believe in astrology as natal charts never lie, and have never lied so far :P Plus, the planets in the solar system have some sort of influence to Earth, let's say, with their gravity, energy, and stuff. (I'm not an expert in science but I believe that universe has some kind of order, and each substance is interconnected) :smile:

The planets and the stars are much too far away to effect events upon the earth.The only thing that does have an effect is the moon which effects the tides.You are right that substances in the universe are interconnected for example the majority of the atoms that make up the human body were made in the cores of stars.But thats real science,real astronomy and its definitely more interesting than the cheap psuedoscience that is astrology.
Original post by Robby2312
The planets and the stars are much too far away to effect events upon the earth.The only thing that does have an effect is the moon which effects the tides.You are right that substances in the universe are interconnected for example the majority of the atoms that make up the human body were made in the cores of stars.But thats real science,real astronomy and its definitely more interesting than the cheap psuedoscience that is astrology.

Astrology is treated as pseudoscience, but its mysteries are definitely very interesting and worth to learn. Those who don't know too much of it say it's not worth anything, but that's not true :wink: I know much of astrology and I recommend everyone to make their natal charts with astrologists, you will find out many good and bad things about yourself that need to be known
Reply 91
Well of course astrology exists, you're talking about it aren't you. Doesn't make it any less of a joke though.
Welcome to the world of irrational beliefs, how do we know they are irrational? Good question Doze! Unlike our rational beliefs they have no evidence of truth, and they don't work.

The OP's comment is wholly simplistic.

If someone is asking for proof that Taurus being in Uranus means that you will go on a long sea journey, then the question is wholly facile.

In their origins astronomy and astrology are indistinguishable. Men stared at the stars and predicted things that did come to pass. The Nile flooded, tides were high, the moon rose when these men said that it would.

As they predicted things accurately, they were asked to predict other things and, and if they continued just to look at the stars, they could not predict these things. So then they started looking at the world around them and particularly at the faces of the men who asked the questions, and they found that if they looked deeply enough at the people who asked the questions, they could still predict the future.

The reason they could still predict the future, is because they made that future. Although astrology starts as synonymous with astronomy, it ends up, as all systems of divination do, as part of psychology.
Original post by Pra99
I wouldnt say astrology is ludicrous. The fact that correct predictions have been made in the past shows that astrology is onto something. I dont think its fair to label an idea as ludicrous just because its not easy to comprehend. We live in a weird place.

What predictions are you talking about?

If you're not an expert, you're not really qualified to making statements about what's possible and what isn't then are you?
I would not even call it pseudoscience it is just a load of nonsense
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Farm_Ecology
What predictions are you talking about?

If you're not an expert, you're not really qualified to making statements about what's possible and what isn't then are you?

Um, you want to test if astrology is true or not? :smile: I'm not an expert but I know quite a lot about this 'pseudo' science. Let's bet then: I will make your approximate natal chart (real natal chart you should do with a professional astrologist). If I tell you your exact personality, and also inform you of what you should do and shouldn't, and if it turns out true (majority of the information at least), then I win. If not, then I lose. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Um, you want to test if astrology is true or not? :smile: I'm not an expert but I know quite a lot about this 'pseudo' science. Let's bet then: I will make your approximate natal chart (real natal chart you should do with a professional astrologist). If I tell you your exact personality, and also inform you of what you should do and shouldn't, and if it turns out true (majority of the information at least), then I win. If not, then I lose. :wink:

Ok then, deal.

What percentage of information do you expect to get correct?

If this is to work, the information about myself would need to be unique to my birth date, something that cannot be applied to everyone.

My DoB is March 17th. Go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending