The Student Room Group

opinions on the Myer-briggs (MBTI) personality test

After doing multiple online tests myself, my socials started to get flooded with an amalgam of 'mbti' pages consisting of memes, artwork, or just people who use their result to find people similar to them in one way or another. At uni, I've been asked which type I am a few times, prompting me to think whether this is seen as a legitimate way of finding out more about yourself or someone else, or whether this is the new 'zodiac' of personality types. Personally, I think it's a bit of fun and slightly useful at developing intrapersonal intelligence, but it shouldn't really be taken too seriously.

What do people think of the MBTI? Generally curious, that's all.
Well-described but very unreliable.
Yeah, bit of fun but like you say it's pseudoscience at best really. About as specific and reliable as a horoscope with loose behavioural traits that could reasonably describe anyone, especially if you answered lots of prerequisite questions so they could hone in on something less generic but still reasonably generic. A good test is to look as objectively as you can at other personality type's descriptions, do you feel some or most of it could apply to you too? If so, it's probably not very reliable.

I'm apparently an INFJ, but yeah - certainly don't live my life by it.
Yeah I see it as a bit of fun tbh, I'm an INFJ apparently which is fun to read about bc of course a lot will fit you as its kinda just reading your answers to the test back haha
Reply 4
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
Well-described but very unreliable.

Agreed. It outlines personalities well, but to say that everyone fits perfectly into one of sixteen personalities seems quite far-fetched and unreliable.
Astrology for middle class w@nkers with LinkedIn accounts.
It doesn't really have any psychology behind it. I don't like using it. To suggest that everyone in the world can be categorized into 16 subtypes of personality is absurd, and to live your life by four letters even more so. We like breaking it down into ashes during psych class :smile:
Reply 7
Yes, there is definitely an overlap in the qualities that each 'type' seems to have. I looked into other types before first posting this thread so I completely agree with your last statement. I'm an INTJ, tried it on multiple sites and got it on every single one except one which gave me ISFJ. I'd say that the INTJ description is (scarily) accurate for me, but I certainly wouldn't say that I'm an epitome of a single type, nor would anybody be.
Original post by Charles III
Yeah, bit of fun but like you say it's pseudoscience at best really. About as specific and reliable as a horoscope with loose behavioural traits that could reasonably describe anyone, especially if you answered lots of prerequisite questions so they could hone in on something less generic but still reasonably generic. A good test is to look as objectively as you can at other personality type's descriptions, do you feel some or most of it could apply to you too? If so, it's probably not very reliable.

I'm apparently an INFJ, but yeah - certainly don't live my life by it.
Bit of fun. Often I get the INTP (logician) :tongue:
(edited 1 year ago)
i remember when i was 16 i was literally so obsessed with mbti to the point where i studied the function pairs and enneagrams and i would literally assign every single person i knew irl and on shows an mbti. when it came to shows i would have some sort of game where i would guess their mbti based off of "dominant" and "inferior" function pairs as well as the enneagram and then i went on the personality database website to check if i was "correct" (by that i mean that the users on the website would create a profile for that character and assign them the exact same thing that i said). it was fun but i realised it was kind of weird after some time. and, its also kind of not true at all

also there are a lot of 'mistyped' people. especially when it comes to intj. like ik a friend who said he was intj but he was the most isfj person i have ever met, and isfj has completely different functions to intj. overall it can be cute and fun but the people that take it seriously and see it more than a joke are embarrassing
(edited 1 year ago)
I went to an event recently basically everyone were strangers and we did one of those tests. Everyone who had that type of personality sat together with the logic - similar people get on with similar people but it doesn't really work. To create a group to work together, you need a bit of everyone - variations of introverts and extroverts who brings different ideas and perspectives to the table. Otherwise it's just a bunch of people who largely think the same.
Original post by myanchovies
i remember when i was 16 i was literally so obsessed with mbti to the point where i studied the function pairs and enneagrams and i would literally assign every single person i knew irl and on shows an mbti. when it came to shows i would have some sort of game where i would guess their mbti based off of "dominant" and "inferior" function pairs as well as the enneagram and then i went on the personality database website to check if i was "correct" (by that i mean that the users on the website would create a profile for that character and assign them the exact same thing that i said). it was fun but i realised it was kind of weird after some time. and, its also kind of not true at all

also there are a lot of 'mistyped' people. especially when it comes to intj. like ik a friend who said he was intj but he was the most isfj person i have ever met, and isfj has completely different functions to intj. overall it can be cute and fun but the people that take it seriously and see it more than a joke are embarrassing

I've looked into function pairs too! I agree that with functions or not, it's still not backed by any real science and should just be seen as a bit of fun
Bit daft really given that apparently there's no such thing as ambiverts as a result.
Load of old ****
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by flâneuse
After doing multiple online tests myself, my socials started to get flooded with an amalgam of 'mbti' pages consisting of memes, artwork, or just people who use their result to find people similar to them in one way or another. At uni, I've been asked which type I am a few times, prompting me to think whether this is seen as a legitimate way of finding out more about yourself or someone else, or whether this is the new 'zodiac' of personality types. Personally, I think it's a bit of fun and slightly useful at developing intrapersonal intelligence, but it shouldn't really be taken too seriously.

quite fun! there are many instances where people lie on the test to get the one mbti they like tho- so not entirely accurate.. im an entp btw :biggrin:
I'm an ambivert so I don't think it captures me well.

It also fails to acknowledge multi-facetedness, or context behind who you're around. I'm an ESTP, but I'm not always an ESTP. :yep:
Original post by flâneuse

i'm an ISFP 4w3 486 and strangely i do find it accurate. i think it can be quite accurate if u do research into it and actually work it out properly for urself using cognitive functions etc, tests online r unreliable (i always get INTP but i am most definitely ISFP). however in the grand scheme of things i think it's wrong to just put people in boxes like that. society is so obsessed with labelling and categorising everything all the time. overall i agree, it's good to use to understand urself on the basis u do it correctly and can be fun, but it's rlly not that deep
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by user01906002
i'm an ISFP 4w3 486 and strangely i do find it entirely accurate. i think it can be quite accurate if u do research into it and actually work it out properly for urself, tests online r unreliable (i always get INTP but i am most definitely ISFP). however in the grand scheme of things i think it's wrong to just put people in boxes like that. society is so obsessed with labelling and categorising everything all the time. overall i agree, it's good to use to understand urself on the basis u do it correctly and can be fun, but it's rlly not that deep

Ultimately it's to do with how you use it. Obviously there aren't just 16 types of people. Everyone has all the functions and enneagram types in them to some extent because people are extremely nuanced. For example, while I am INFP 4w5 471, it just means I relate to Fi and Ne functions and those enneagram types more than the others (and obviously I don't relate to ALL the descriptions of those types because people come in lots of variations). I know they don't define me as a person, because they only look at extremely specific aspects. I am also someone that does it out of interest/fun, not because I believe in it having scientific value or anything like that

Quick Reply

Latest