The Student Room Group

Geography A-Level Help!

Hi,
I'm currently doing my GCSE's and have chose my options for A-Level options. Geography was one of my options and I have found GCSE geography quite boring atm. I'm very good at geography as I just find it common sense but I don't if I should pick it based of that. I don't know if the A-level is more interesting or if it's pretty much the same? I have also heard that the coursework for geography is a killer?
Thanks in advance and all help is good!!:smile:
which exam board would it be? we didn't have coursework per say, but in A2 we went on a field trip and recorded some data to use in the Skills paper, but it certainly wasn't a killer haha

It's really up to you, I found GCSE fairly standard, and stuck it out into A level since I though it was common sense, and it was a very welcome break from 2 sciences and maths. It's all about what modules you'll be taking as to whether you'll find it enjoyable, for example we're now doing Climatic Hazards and I couldn't be happier!

tbh i'm probably biased since i've applied for a degree in it, but i'd definitely check out the A level modules you're going to have to study, since they can often be pretty different from GCSE topics.
Reply 2
Original post by BanishedKree
which exam board would it be? we didn't have coursework per say, but in A2 we went on a field trip and recorded some data to use in the Skills paper, but it certainly wasn't a killer haha

It's really up to you, I found GCSE fairly standard, and stuck it out into A level since I though it was common sense, and it was a very welcome break from 2 sciences and maths. It's all about what modules you'll be taking as to whether you'll find it enjoyable, for example we're now doing Climatic Hazards and I couldn't be happier!

tbh i'm probably biased since i've applied for a degree in it, but i'd definitely check out the A level modules you're going to have to study, since they can often be pretty different from GCSE topics.

Thanks for the reply! I've chose the exact same options as you too! I believe the exam board is edexcel? Also a quick quesgion for you. Was chemistry a big step up from gcse?
Original post by zweeden99
Thanks for the reply! I've chose the exact same options as you too! I believe the exam board is edexcel? Also a quick quesgion for you. Was chemistry a big step up from gcse?

Ah now Chemistry.. *takes a shot and slams it back on table* that's a different story altogether. It's the A2 giving me the most trouble at the moment, there's just so much to know and unless it's something you want to go into in the future, the info can seem quite abstract. I would talk to AS students about this, as far as I can remember, it is definitely a noticeable step up, but nothing you won't be able to handle unless you really dislike the subject or did not do well at gcse.

Honestly, although sometimes it breaks my soul, it's leaving me as a better student for university. It compliments a lot of subjects very well, and in my experience, everyone feels like they're in the same boat in class; when something's confusing, nearly all of us are confused. If I had to go through it all again, i'd still choose Chemistry.

If you don't mind me asking, if you have any plans for university yet, what are you thinking about studying?
Reply 4
Ah now Chemistry.. *takes a shot and slams it back on table* that's a different story altogether. It's the A2 giving me the most trouble at the moment, there's just so much to know and unless it's something you want to go into in the future, the info can seem quite abstract. I would talk to AS students about this, as far as I can remember, it is definitely a noticeable step up, but nothing you won't be able to handle unless you really dislike the subject or did not do well at gcse.

Honestly, although sometimes it breaks my soul, it's leaving me as a better student for university. It compliments a lot of subjects very well, and in my experience, everyone feels like they're in the same boat in class; when something's confusing, nearly all of us are confused. If I had to go through it all again, i'd still choose Chemistry.

If you don't mind me asking, if you have any plans for university yet, what are you thinking about studying?

Oh, I don't mind you asking at all! I'm thinking something to do with science or law. Atm I don't know which one I would prefer so it's hard what subjects I should pick! I have heard a lot of people say that about chemistry. Some people have said that everything you learn at GCSE isn't relevant at A-level? Whereas, at Biology they expand on things you learnt at GCSE? I don't know if this is true though.
Oh, I don't mind you asking at all! I'm thinking something to do with science or law. Atm I don't know which one I would prefer so it's hard what subjects I should pick! I have heard a lot of people say that about chemistry. Some people have said that everything you learn at GCSE isn't relevant at A-level? Whereas, at Biology they expand on things you learnt at GCSE? I don't know if this is true though.

I wouldn't say that, I think you're definitely learning different things, but you do use the concepts of GCSE to help you in AS level, it's more like finding out things are more complicated that GCSE made it out to be. I haven't done Biology, but i'd pick the one which compliments your other choices. It's been nice having similar information between Physics and Chemistry over the years haha
And idk about your school, but we were given the option to change courses for a few weeks into AS levels, if we really didn't like the course!
Reply 6
I wouldn't say that, I think you're definitely learning different things, but you do use the concepts of GCSE to help you in AS level, it's more like finding out things are more complicated that GCSE made it out to be. I haven't done Biology, but i'd pick the one which compliments your other choices. It's been nice having similar information between Physics and Chemistry over the years haha
And idk about your school, but we were given the option to change courses for a few weeks into AS levels, if we really didn't like the course!

I'm pretty sure my school can do that. Well, i hope they do anyway lol. In a way i wish you could pick more than 4 options. I find it so hard to choose!
Hi,
I'm currently doing my GCSE's and have chose my options for A-Level options. Geography was one of my options and I have found GCSE geography quite boring atm. I'm very good at geography as I just find it common sense but I don't if I should pick it based of that. I don't know if the A-level is more interesting or if it's pretty much the same? I have also heard that the coursework for geography is a killer?
Thanks in advance and all help is good!!:smile:

Hey there, if your exam board is Edexcel for the A level then don't worry there is no coursework (hooray). I hate coursework so that's why I like edexcel so much :smile:

I certainly find the A level more interesting, especially the climate change related stuff in the AS.
Reply 8
Original post by DaveUncle
Hey there, if your exam board is Edexcel for the A level then don't worry there is no coursework (hooray). I hate coursework so that's why I like edexcel so much :smile:

I certainly find the A level more interesting, especially the climate change related stuff in the AS.

Really! Theres no coursework? That's great. I think i will keep it as an option because a lot of people have said its intresting. Plus of theres no coursework thats even better! Thanks for telling me this!
Really! Theres no coursework? That's great. I think i will keep it as an option because a lot of people have said its intresting. Plus of theres no coursework thats even better! Thanks for telling me this!

If you do aqa geography there is an option to coursework or not. But it's up to your teacher! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep no coursework! During my Geography GCSE the coursework stopped me from getting an A* overall (despite A*s in both exams) so to step into A Level Geography and find that there's no coursework is great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending