The Student Room Group

Slowly going under (debt/uni worries)

Hello People

I'm in a bit of difficulty... wondered if anyone could give me some advice (I've tried everything else).

I'm at University in my second year - I don't enjoy it, and I haven't yet been in this year. No-one in my house knows, they think I've been missing the odd lecture but haven't cottoned on yet. I know I need to sort it - I can't afford to miss university, and I do want a degree, I just hate it. Ideally I'd like to start a business instead, but I can't afford to do that whilst I've got this much debt. My parents seem to think a university education is critical as well.

I'm scared to go in now because its been too long. What possible excuse could there be for not turning up for 4 weeks? I can handle the work, coursework and exams are always easy for me to do, but I've still missed labs, and I'm terrified of what my tutor or lecturers will say if I tell them I didn't feel like coming in.

Secondly, I'm getting snowed under with debt - last year I didn't manage to get a job and propped myself up with overdrafts and credit cards (rent took all my loan). I've now got a second overdraft (so a total of £4605 credit) but this has quite quickly been used up - I'm crap with money, but trying to improve, but I don't even have the money to pay next months rent. I've been applying for jobs again, but so far the only one to offer me an interview was woolworths and they don't seem to be very interested.

Basically, I don't know where to turn - I can't tell my parents or friends any of this, because they'd all have an 'I told you so/how could you disappoint us so much' attitude, and I don't know where to start trying to fix it all.

Help? :smile:

By the way, I will add that I'm a very positive person so I'm not actually depressed, which could be part of the reason I can't seem to face up to the reality of the situation...

Thanks for reading...
Reply 1
You don't need a degree to start a business, and if you manage to start one successfully, that debt will be eradicated in no time.
The trouble is you would probably need to shack up with your family or friends while you're doing it, and you would probably need to get into more debt in order to set up said business.
Maybe visit a careers advisor at the uni, and talk to your parents! Richard Branson didn't go to uni, after all :biggrin:
Reply 2
Maybe you should defer the second year if that's still possible? Then sort out your money problems, and see how you feel about carrying on.
Reply 3
Have you tried speaking to someone at the uni such as a welfare officer/ phoned a confidential student advice line? They deal with this kind of thing every year and will have really good advice. If you decide you want to go back but are worried about having missed so much, you might have to tell the teachers you were really ill/had serious personal problems and ask them to help you catch up, but once again welfare officers can help you with this! I know it's depressing not gatting any job offers but it's really good that you're trying so keep at it and sometime (hopefully soon) it will pay out!
Hope this helps a bit!!! :smile:

And I know it's hard but you should really try to talk to your parents, they only want you to be happy and they're much more experienced when it comes to financial matters!
Reply 4
Anonymous
Hello People

I'm in a bit of difficulty... wondered if anyone could give me some advice (I've tried everything else).

I'm at University in my second year - I don't enjoy it, and I haven't yet been in this year. No-one in my house knows, they think I've been missing the odd lecture but haven't cottoned on yet. I know I need to sort it - I can't afford to miss university, and I do want a degree, I just hate it. Ideally I'd like to start a business instead, but I can't afford to do that whilst I've got this much debt. My parents seem to think a university education is critical as well.

I'm scared to go in now because its been too long. What possible excuse could there be for not turning up for 4 weeks? I can handle the work, coursework and exams are always easy for me to do, but I've still missed labs, and I'm terrified of what my tutor or lecturers will say if I tell them I didn't feel like coming in.

Secondly, I'm getting snowed under with debt - last year I didn't manage to get a job and propped myself up with overdrafts and credit cards (rent took all my loan). I've now got a second overdraft (so a total of £4605 credit) but this has quite quickly been used up - I'm crap with money, but trying to improve, but I don't even have the money to pay next months rent. I've been applying for jobs again, but so far the only one to offer me an interview was woolworths and they don't seem to be very interested.

Basically, I don't know where to turn - I can't tell my parents or friends any of this, because they'd all have an 'I told you so/how could you disappoint us so much' attitude, and I don't know where to start trying to fix it all.

Help? :smile:

By the way, I will add that I'm a very positive person so I'm not actually depressed, which could be part of the reason I can't seem to face up to the reality of the situation...

Thanks for reading...

Get help - now! This is getting too big for you to sort out on your own, and help is there. Start with Student Welfare as beeboo suggests. They will support you in approaching your tutors and sorting out the academic side of things. They will also help with the finances, by helping you to work out your budget, talk to the bank, whatever. You are not the first to get into this mess and you won't be the last. It is scary, but it won't go away unless you tackle it.

You say you want to get a degree but you don't seem to be happy with your choice of subject. That is a big downer, for anyone. Please please get in touch with Student Welfare - or your personal tutor, if your uni has such a system - and start sorting out what you really want to do from what you think you ought to do. And do consider talking to your parents - you might be pleasantly surprised by their reaction.

Good luck -
Reply 5
Talk to your parents - tell them it's all going wrong and ask for help.

Yes, you'll get an ear-bashing, yes - they'll go ballistic but they can prob help you sort it and if you don't tell them things will get worse and worse...

I mean how could you face seeing everyone at Xmas if you are living a lie?

Being honest means short term pain for long term gain
Reply 6
*knowitall*
Talk to your parents - tell them it's all going wrong and ask for help.

Yes, you'll get an ear-bashing, yes - they'll go ballistic but they can prob help you sort it and if you don't tell them things will get worse and worse...

I mean how could you face seeing everyone at Xmas if you are living a lie?

Being honest means short term pain for long term gain

Speak to somebody at College, personal tutor preferably you need to talk about either changing courses or maybe re-sitting the year, plus all of the above. Good luck;console;

Latest

Trending

Trending