The Student Room Group

Completed 2 years at university, now considering another course, is funding available

I've had a bit of an interesting past with university. I have completed two years of a Biology degree in London but I have come to the conclusion that my interests and passions lie firmly within economics and philosophy, and for that reason a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics strongly appeals to me.

Halfway through second year depression got the better of me, affected my grades and so I took an interruption of studies. I am now in the second year of this interruption (ie four years since the start of education at university). I am now in a stable place and I am very happy, in a great relationship and feel like I have a clearer idea of my life priorities, goals and ambitions. Prior to my thoughts about this, the plan would be to go back to university in September/October 2015.

Aside from the fact that my parents might not necessarily be happy with the decision to change courses so far into a degree, it seems illogical to continue with something I don't see a future for me in.

My questions are:

1. Is funding still available to me from student finance england to start a new 3 year bachelors, is it for the full term, and how do I contact them about this?

2. My A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Is it necessary to gain qualifications in the relevant subjects for the course and if so which are the more important ones?

3. I am competent at self-teaching/autodidact, so if I were to have exams for said subjects in June, what sort of process should I pursue to apply for new universities?

4. Similar to 3, what is the best way to apply for universities, when should I apply. Should it be through clearing? Should I study abroad? Should I wait until next year?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am at a fork in the road in my life and any advice you give to me will be tremendously important. I really appreciate it and I will pay it forward

:smile:
Original post by Bark

My questions are:

1. Is funding still available to me from student finance england to start a new 3 year bachelors, is it for the full term, and how do I contact them about this?

2. My A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Is it necessary to gain qualifications in the relevant subjects for the course and if so which are the more important ones?

3. I am competent at self-teaching/autodidact, so if I were to have exams for said subjects in June, what sort of process should I pursue to apply for new universities?

4. Similar to 3, what is the best way to apply for universities, when should I apply. Should it be through clearing? Should I study abroad? Should I wait until next year?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am at a fork in the road in my life and any advice you give to me will be tremendously important. I really appreciate it and I will pay it forward

:smile:

1. Usually, you are entitled to funding for the length of your degree course +1 extra year. As you've used up 2 years of funding, it's unlikely you'd get full funding for another course. You'd probably be entitled to two years of full funding and have to self-fund the other year. As far as I'm aware, you usually have to self fund the first year of the course in this case. You won't get any student finance funding if you study abroad- although other funding may be available, especially within the EU.

2. For subjects like politics, philosophy and economics, where A-levels are not offered by all sixth-forms/colleges, you're not required to have A-levels in these subjects. However, after a change of direction from science to the humanities, you would be expected to show where this interest has come from in the PS, and demonstrate extra reading in the PS (this would also apply to any interviews you had).

3. Due to the above answer, this isn't really relevant.

4. How you apply is up to you. If you see a course you like the look of in UCAS Extra or clearing, then it's worth applying. You'll only have a full choice of courses if you apply for 2016 entry. I think it's only really worth studying abroad if you have a strong desire to do so- and studying politics in a political context you're unfamiliar with might be difficult.
If you can provide evidence of your depression eg. From a GP or counsellor or previous university statement you may be able to claim compelling personal reasons and get a years funding back and hence would be able to claim finance for the duration of your course. If you can't provide evidence the post above is correct. The evidence must clearly state the reason and how/why/that it did effect your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending