The Student Room Group

Can I still get funding?

Hi,

I have completed a foundation year at a University that was apart of a 4 year integrated course. I then switched university’s going into first year of a 3 year course. Again, I then switched university’s again going into my 2nd year of a 3 year course. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons and family health it is looking like I am going to have to retake my 2nd year. Will I still be able to get funding for this? Each time I switched university, it was to do the same course as my original foundation year, I only switched 2 times to be closer to home as a family member has been struggling with an illness and this allowed me to return home easier.

I know that if I stayed at the original university I would have had an extra year because it would have been a 4 year course + 1. Does this carry considering I switched university’s? I struggled to understand why I would lose the extra year when I am on course to completing the same degree in the same amount of time.

Thanks
Original post by Gbbb19
Hi,

I have completed a foundation year at a University that was apart of a 4 year integrated course. I then switched university’s going into first year of a 3 year course. Again, I then switched university’s again going into my 2nd year of a 3 year course. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons and family health it is looking like I am going to have to retake my 2nd year. Will I still be able to get funding for this? Each time I switched university, it was to do the same course as my original foundation year, I only switched 2 times to be closer to home as a family member has been struggling with an illness and this allowed me to return home easier.

I know that if I stayed at the original university I would have had an extra year because it would have been a 4 year course + 1. Does this carry considering I switched university’s? I struggled to understand why I would lose the extra year when I am on course to completing the same degree in the same amount of time.

Thanks

Hi there,

The calculation would be 3+1-2=2 years if you have 2 years previous study and are now taking a 3 year course, which would mean that you would be eligible for funding for year 2 and 3 of a new 3 year course. If you require funding for year 1 of the new 3 year course, you can provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons for that. We can accept evidence from a professional 3rd party that confirms what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

The calculation would be 3+1-2=2 years if you have 2 years previous study and are now taking a 3 year course, which would mean that you would be eligible for funding for year 2 and 3 of a new 3 year course. If you require funding for year 1 of the new 3 year course, you can provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons for that. We can accept evidence from a professional 3rd party that confirms what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies.

Thanks, Clare

Thanks for your response. I would have had 3 previous years of study. My foundation year, 1st year and now second year. What I want to be able to do is retake my 2nd year as unfortunately I didn’t get the grades I need. I have completed foundation at one university, 1st year at another and 2nd year at the last one and I want to retake my 2nd year at the same university and then move on to third year. What sort of evidence is necessary? I will be able to get a note from the doctor about the issues a family member has been suffering with but I’m not sure if I can get much more than that as I have never seen a professional for help myself. I have just been caring for a family member.
Original post by Gbbb19
Thanks for your response. I would have had 3 previous years of study. My foundation year, 1st year and now second year. What I want to be able to do is retake my 2nd year as unfortunately I didn’t get the grades I need. I have completed foundation at one university, 1st year at another and 2nd year at the last one and I want to retake my 2nd year at the same university and then move on to third year. What sort of evidence is necessary? I will be able to get a note from the doctor about the issues a family member has been suffering with but I’m not sure if I can get much more than that as I have never seen a professional for help myself. I have just been caring for a family member.

Hi there,

Just to confirm, have you made an application for the 23/24 year yet? If so, did you indicate that you'll be repeating 2nd Year there?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
No I haven’t, as it isn’t confirmed I am retaking second year as I have the opportunity to do resits. I would like to retake if possible as it would give me a better chance to get a good grade. I have submitted my application though but I wanted to see if funding would be possible before I confirm my repeat of second year

Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Just to confirm, have you made an application for the 23/24 year yet? If so, did you indicate that you'll be repeating 2nd Year there?

Thanks, Graeme
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Should i indicate that I am retaking then?
Original post by Gbbb19
Should i indicate that I am retaking then?

Definitely, yes - that way our assessors can tell you for sure if you're entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan for the repeat year. It sounds like you won't, but it would be best to know for sure.

In terms of evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) we'd want to see a letter from yourself (signed and dated) explaining what happened, and a letter from a professional person (like a doctor) confirming this.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending