The Student Room Group

Completed 2 years at university, now considering another course, is funding available

I've had a bit of an interesting past with university. I have completed two years of a Biology degree in London but I have come to the conclusion that my interests and passions lie firmly within economics and philosophy, and for that reason a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics strongly appeals to me.

Halfway through second year depression got the better of me, affected my grades and so I took an interruption of studies. I am now in the second year of this interruption (ie four years since the start of education at university). I am now in a stable place and I am very happy, in a great relationship and feel like I have a clearer idea of my life priorities, goals and ambitions. Prior to my thoughts about this, the plan would be to go back to university in September/October 2015.

Aside from the fact that my parents might not necessarily be happy with the decision to change courses so far into a degree, it seems illogical to continue with something I don't see a future for me in.

My questions are:

1. Is funding still available to me from student finance england to start a new 3 year bachelors, is it for the full term, and how do I contact them about this?

2. My A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Is it necessary to gain qualifications in the relevant subjects for the course and if so which are the more important ones?

3. I am competent at self-teaching/autodidact, so if I were to have exams for said subjects in June, what sort of process should I pursue to apply for new universities?

4. Similar to 3, what is the best way to apply for universities, when should I apply. Should it be through clearing? Should I study abroad? Should I wait until next year?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am at a fork in the road in my life and any advice you give to me will be tremendously important. I really appreciate it and I will pay it forward

:smile:
Original post by Bark
I've had a bit of an interesting past with university. I have completed two years of a Biology degree in London but I have come to the conclusion that my interests and passions lie firmly within economics and philosophy, and for that reason a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics strongly appeals to me.

Halfway through second year depression got the better of me, affected my grades and so I took an interruption of studies. I am now in the second year of this interruption (ie four years since the start of education at university). I am now in a stable place and I am very happy, in a great relationship and feel like I have a clearer idea of my life priorities, goals and ambitions. Prior to my thoughts about this, the plan would be to go back to university in September/October 2015.

Aside from the fact that my parents might not necessarily be happy with the decision to change courses so far into a degree, it seems illogical to continue with something I don't see a future for me in.

My questions are:

1. Is funding still available to me from student finance england to start a new 3 year bachelors, is it for the full term, and how do I contact them about this?

2. My A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Is it necessary to gain qualifications in the relevant subjects for the course and if so which are the more important ones?

3. I am competent at self-teaching/autodidact, so if I were to have exams for said subjects in June, what sort of process should I pursue to apply for new universities?

4. Similar to 3, what is the best way to apply for universities, when should I apply. Should it be through clearing? Should I study abroad? Should I wait until next year?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am at a fork in the road in my life and any advice you give to me will be tremendously important. I really appreciate it and I will pay it forward

:smile:

1) as you've started you second year you would need to send in evidence of compelling personal reasons e.g. note from a doctor to get your first year of a new course funded.
2) No PPE doesn't require specific subjects and in fact some unis like if you have maths for economics courses.
4) You can email now and see if the universities you want to apply to are still accepting applications and if so you can apply as soon as they say, you don't need to wait until clearing. Study abroad might sound great but you need to fund that yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending