The Student Room Group

Observation study permissions required?

Hi

I'm in my final year of PGDip psychology and my final year project requires me to go into an NHS hospital and sit in the canteen to monitor where staff sit. My supervisor has tentatively said she doesn't think permission is required from the NHS as the area is a public domain. I'm a bit weary of this approach, as the canteen is public domain I am guessing some people may be patients. Although my obs study is only interested in staff, I'm just wondering if my turning up each day for a week, possibly for an hour or two at lunch time, to record seating plans requires NHS permission?

I will fill in my ethics form before collecting data, but just wanted to query to see if anyone here had any ideas? I know the ethics board will say yay or nay but I just wanted an idea now, and not in a week after the ethics form has been reviewed.

Any feedback will be appreciated!! Thank you
Original post by BeckyPsyGradUk
Hi

I'm in my final year of PGDip psychology and my final year project requires me to go into an NHS hospital and sit in the canteen to monitor where staff sit. My supervisor has tentatively said she doesn't think permission is required from the NHS as the area is a public domain. I'm a bit weary of this approach, as the canteen is public domain I am guessing some people may be patients. Although my obs study is only interested in staff, I'm just wondering if my turning up each day for a week, possibly for an hour or two at lunch time, to record seating plans requires NHS permission?

I will fill in my ethics form before collecting data, but just wanted to query to see if anyone here had any ideas? I know the ethics board will say yay or nay but I just wanted an idea now, and not in a week after the ethics form has been reviewed.

Any feedback will be appreciated!! Thank you

Personally I would ask for permission, but obviously not from the canteen staff because then they'll show demand characteristics lol.

I don't know though.. it is kind of public domain, but then again it isn't because you're inside a controlled building where staff are not aware that there is the possibility of them being observed, whereas if you were observing what they do outside on a dinner break, this would 100% be public domain

I would say try to ask for permission but don't stress if not because if you get caught and they question you, you can just make it clear what you are doing and they shouldn't have a problem
Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending