The Student Room Group

Swapping firm and insurance

Hi
I have an offer from UCL to study medical science I have firmed them and my insurance is pharmacy at Medway school of pharmacy. Is it possible to switch my firm and insurance even thought it’s been over 2 months since I’ve firmed ucl
Reply 1
Usually yes - phone UCAS on Tuesday to get the process started.

This is usually very straightforward - but just make sure it is what you want to do before you call.
Original post by StonePone
Hi
I have an offer from UCL to study medical science I have firmed them and my insurance is pharmacy at Medway school of pharmacy. Is it possible to switch my firm and insurance even thought it’s been over 2 months since I’ve firmed ucl

I did the same with a course at UCL and Southampton - call UCAS, they'll then get you to email UCL to get permission (they'll give it to you within a day or two) and maybe Medway if Medway isn't on the auto swap list! It's super easy and just requires a few emails :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PhantomMercy
I did the same with a course at UCL and Southampton - call UCAS, they'll then get you to email UCL to get permission (they'll give it to you within a day or two) and maybe Medway if Medway isn't on the auto swap list! It's super easy and just requires a few emails :smile:

Hi we’re you able to switch after the 2 week deadline?

Yes it is possible to swap after 14 days if you follow the process given above - phone UCAS.

Yup! I swapped a month or so after I had firmed!
Reply 6
Yup! I swapped a month or so after I had firmed!

I sent Medway an email that I am requesting a “thumbs up” from them to see if they can permit a swap between my firm and insurance but I still haven’t decided 100%. Even if they agree to it it won’t go ahead right? I would need to tell ucas and ucl first right?
I sent Medway an email that I am requesting a “thumbs up” from them to see if they can permit a swap between my firm and insurance but I still haven’t decided 100%. Even if they agree to it it won’t go ahead right? I would need to tell ucas and ucl first right?

You should have called UCAS first as they may tell UCAS that you wish to swap and give permission to them (that is what UCL did for me - I didn't have to email UCAS as they automatically sent the permission). However, without UCL's permission it will not go through. You need to be certain you want this before emailing UCAS and UCL. I would email Medway again and say you are only interested if a swap is possible so that they don't send UCAS anything.

I'm not an expert on anything but this was my experience - nothing a quick email can't fix though!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
You should have called UCAS first as they may tell UCAS that you wish to swap and give permission to them (that is what UCL did for me - I didn't have to email UCAS as they automatically sent the permission). However, without UCL's permission it will not go through. You need to be certain you want this before emailing UCAS and UCL. I would email Medway again and say you are only interested if a swap is possible so that they don't send UCAS anything.

I'm not an expert on anything but this was my experience - nothing a quick email can't fix though!

In the email to Medway I mentioned I am still considering my options but I’m just asking for a thumbs up so all that is left is to ask ucl and ucas for the change. I’ll call ucas tomorrow if I don’t want to go ahead with it
In the email to Medway I mentioned I am still considering my options but I’m just asking for a thumbs up so all that is left is to ask ucl and ucas for the change. I’ll call ucas tomorrow if I don’t want to go ahead with it

They wouldn’t give you the thumbs up. They need to notify ucas that they agree to the swap.

I don’t know any university ever refuse a swap - the only issue is getting agreement in a reasonable amount of time.

You have until July 21 to swap replies. In reality that means until the end of June (because there’s always a reasonable chance that ucas will need approval from universities in writing and the staff authorised to give that approval at each university may well be taking annual leave in July).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending