The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
AMA

question:
is this you?

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by beyknowles
question:
is this you?

Spoiler

Yes it is me.
Yes it is me.

Q2: is this u

Spoiler

Q3: are you proud that you got an offer?
Reply 4
Original post by beyknowles
Q2: is this u

Spoiler

Q3: are you proud that you got an offer?

Yes but that is from a couple of years ago.
Yes I am proud but I expected to get this far,I don't think I will meet the offer though.

you look very pretty here. i think you'd be a very beautiful drag queen

OT: why don't your parents work? what is your career aspiration? have you always had a flair for academia? what motivates you?
I don't think I will meet the offer though.

why not?
Why do you have so many red gems? What did you do?
Why haven't your parents worked since the 1980s?
Do you feel that you come across as arrogant at all?
What are you planning to study at Cambridge?
AMA

favourite and least favourite body part?

and when applying to cambridge which factors count the most? GCSE grades, AS grades, extra-curricular activities, voluntary work experience, personal statement quality, confidence in interview.. ?
Reply 10
Original post by grassntai

you look very pretty here. i think you'd be a very beautiful drag queen

OT: why don't your parents work? what is your career aspiration? have you always had a flair for academia? what motivates you?

My mam quit work to become a mother then became mentally ill and then got took off Disability Living Allowance by the ATOS tests and then she went on JSA and then she was a carer for her mam and got Carer's Allowance but she died over two years ago and she went back on JSA and in one interview she was asked when she last worked and she said August 1986 and they wanted her to have worked recently.

My dad stopped working in 1984 I think due to mental illness and since then he divorced my mam and married another woman who gets money through her solicitor(something her rich parents set up I think) and through shares and stuff they don't really get that much each year and usually spend it too quickly but he still gets some disability payments and is applying for some sort of pension credits he is 64 now.

I am not sure about my career aspiration but I am interested in Meteorology/ doing pure maths research I want to solve some juicy maths equations.I have always been very talented at academia since I was a child and I am motivated by my obsession with academia, my love of Maths and the fact that I really want to get better grades than everyone else.
Reply 11
Original post by Pennyarcade
why not?

STEP is a really hard entrance exam only 44% of those who receive offers for Maths at Cambridge get in.
Reply 12
Original post by Chlorophile
Why do you have so many red gems? What did you do?

I have some very controversial opinions and I'm not afraid to speak them and a lot of it has to do with people not liking my obsession with academia and that B grades aren't very good at GCSE.
Reply 13
Original post by Multitalented me
Why haven't your parents worked since the 1980s?
Do you feel that you come across as arrogant at all?
What are you planning to study at Cambridge?

I have already answered this in a recent reply.I don't get why I come off as arrogant as generally I do better than I think I will do and my teachers seem to be obsessed with me, which sort of reflects on me I think.I am planning to study Maths.
Reply 14
I have some very controversial opinions and I'm not afraid to speak them and a lot of it has to do with people not liking my obsession with academia and that B grades aren't very good at GCSE.

GCSEs are only there to get you A-Levels, A-Levels are only there to get you degrees, and degrees are only there to get you your first work experience.
You were big-headed to people who had tried equally as hard but not "achieved" quite as much, despite the fact that many of them will probably go on to do better than you. That is why nobody liked your GCSE supremacist attitude and that is why you were negged to Andromeda.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by CJKay
GCSEs are only there to get you A-Levels, A-Levels are only there to get you degrees, and degrees are only there to get you your first work experience.
You were big-headed to people who had tried equally as hard but not "achieved" quite as much (despite the fact that many of them will probably go on to do better than you). That is why nobody liked your GCSE supremacist attitude and that is why you were negged to Andromeda.

I already have work experience?everyone is supposed to do some in Y10-some people backed out though.Your degree is suppose to get you a graduate job not experience.A grade B at GCSE shows you aren't really that good its only slightly above average and by getting a grade B you are making a whole lot harder on yourself to do well at A Level its a good indicator for success at A Level and most importantly grades are an indicator of how intelligent you are and good grades generally mean you perceive the world in an intelligent way because if you get lower grades then you are closer to the intelligence of an animal.
Congratulations on the offer ! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 17
I already have work experience?everyone is supposed to do some in Y10-some people backed out though.Your degree is suppose to get you a graduate job not experience.A grade B at GCSE shows you aren't really that good its only slightly above average and by getting a grade B you are making a whole lot harder on yourself to do well at A Level its a good indicator for success at A Level and most importantly grades are an indicator of how intelligent you are and good grades generally mean you perceive the world in an intelligent way because if you get lower grades then you are closer to the intelligence of an animal.

I have never heard of year 10 work experience. In my view, there is very little value any work experience could give you at that age.

A graduate job is experience.

Grades are not an indicator of anything but the ability to work in academia. There is no indication of potential whatsoever, and many people who get great grades go on to do nothing particularly spectacular. It demonstrates you have the ability to read a large book, then write about what you learned in that book which is, perhaps surprisingly to you, not that useful for the majority of jobs in the real world.

I'm sorry if I have disturbed your vision of what it means to be an animal.
Reply 18
Original post by CJKay
I have never heard of year 10 work experience. In my view, there is very little value any work experience could give you at that age.

A graduate job is experience.

Grades are not an indicator of anything but the ability to work in academia. There is no indication of potential whatsoever, and many people who get great grades go on to do nothing particularly spectacular. It demonstrates you have the ability to read a large book, then write about what you learned in that book which is, perhaps surprisingly to you, not that useful for the majority of jobs in the real world.

I'm sorry if I have disturbed your vision of what it means to be an animal.

What absolute rubbish you clearly don't know what you are talking about academia is about a lot more than reading and then effectively rewriting in your own words the key things that you learn from it, maybe in some dodgy degree subjects this might happen.For Maths degrees you have to face challenge problems that are unusual and assess your ability to apply what you have learnt to new scenarios and this is exactly what employers are looking for if you do well then they know whatever problems they need you to solve they can train you to solve them.
Reply 19
What absolute rubbish you clearly don't know what you are talking about academia is about a lot more than reading and then effectively rewriting in your own words the key things that you learn from it, maybe in some dodgy degree subjects this might happen.For Maths degrees you have to face challenge problems that are unusual and assess your ability to apply what you have learnt to new scenarios and this is exactly what employers are looking for if you do well then they know whatever problems they need you to solve they can train you to solve them.

Thank you for your explanation. I'm sure you'll understand I find it funny that you defend it so well when you make the claim that everybody else's job is as lazy and skill-less as I just made yours out to be. Don't you agree?

Quick Reply