The Student Room Group

"far left" party Syriza looks to have won Greek elections.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30975437

Thoughts?

The gist of the party seems to be anti-austerity, rebuilding their social framework and standing up to the EU.

Will this help Greece or will it sink it even further into economic ruin? How will the EU react?

The Greek equivalent of Labour have also been utterly annihilated by a rival genuine left wing party that sprung up over night.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's going to be very close and they could very likely still miss out on a majority by a couple of seats. It will be interesting though, very good chance that they will be booted from the Euro as I don't think Merkel will back down.
Nationalism is the answer.
Reply 3
Good news.

Now interrailing in Europe will be even cheaper as euro devalues even more, especially on top of the QE that's coming.
Had this happened in 2012 I think the Troika would have had to back down. but now they've had two years to prepare public opinion for a potential Grexit, so it won't be as big a hit to prestige as it would have been (though would still be a big humiliation after all the effort spent trying to keep Greece in, as well as the fact that trying to blackmail an elected government doesn't look good). And on the other hand, whatever line they take with Greece will have to be done with similar situations in other EU countries, especially Spain, in mind.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30975437

Thoughts?

The gist of the party seems to be anti-austerity, rebuilding their social framework and standing up to the EU.

Will this help Greece or will it sink it even further into economic ruin? How will the EU react?

The Greek equivalent of Labour have also been utterly annihilated by a rival genuine left wing party that sprung up over night.

We'll see the euro bomb.

I think we'll find that they'll be a lot of talk about anti austerity, but they'll do what the German government tells them what to do.
Reply 6
Predicted to be just 1 seat short of a majority, big trouble ahead for the Euro & a potential disaster. I predict a Grexit and the big question will be the impact on Spain/Italy
Reply 7
Original post by Ace123
Predicted to be just 1 seat short of a majority, big trouble ahead for the Euro & a potential disaster. I predict a Grexit and the big question will be the impact on Spain/Italy

The cost to Greece will be absolutely shocking. aA situation to be avoided at all costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Debt slavery should be a crime.
If they are anything like Nick Clegg, I wouldn't worry at all.

They will break all their election promises.
(edited 9 years ago)
It will be fun to watch, Milliband's struggle to deliver to his backers would be nothing compared to the expectations Syriza have to match. A pound says they will not dare to renege on the debt, nobody will lend them a penny for a long while and they'd better be polite when asking for a face-saving tweaking of the dates.
Original post by Uilleam Uallas

What's debt slavery?
Original post by Uilleam Uallas

Yeah, that's what people who go overdrawn say... Presumably, it should be enshrined in law that someone else should take it on when it gets a bit much.
What are Syriza's policies on immigration, tolerance, and integration of ethnic minorities,

whilst at the same time respecting the rights of Muslims in their country,
and promoting justice and equality for homosexuals ?

Does anyone know ?
SO they want to keep the euro anyway but they want to end austerity which would violate the bailout agreements set out a few years back. So they want to have their cake and eat it, its one of those type of setups eh. Greece is just a mess, its quite literally become like its ancient ruins. Its quite saddening really, it used to be the heart of Europe culturally but look at it now.
Reply 15
It is interesting to see the stark contrast in the party support. On the one hand you have Syriza with the most support but then you also have Golden Dawn who have gained 7% and are now third. I wonder how it will play out.
Original post by Aj12
The cost to Greece will be absolutely shocking. aA situation to be avoided at all costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it won't. How can you become more bankrupt than bankrupt? Greece was on its knees and at the mercy of the EU regardless. If renegotiation doesn't go ahead because Merkel says no and the Greeks go their own way they'll be free to set up FTA's with the emerging global economy to suit themselves. Once other EU countries see that Greece has done this they'll want to have their cake and eat it as well. This is the start of the EU's demise and its hardly the start of the Euro's demise as that idiotic idea was doomed to fail from the off.
Original post by marco14196
So they want to have their cake and eat it, its one of those type of setups eh.

And they will as well and that why Merkel and co are in a state of despair over the entire situation.
The whole EU is pointless anyway,

You can trade and have immigration without being part of a union.
Original post by democracyforum
What are Syriza's policies on immigration, tolerance, and integration of ethnic minorities,

whilst at the same time respecting the rights of Muslims in their country,
and promoting justice and equality for homosexuals ?

Does anyone know ?

Everything you mentioned are not their responsibilties.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending