The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't have a clue which firms I want to apply to because they all seem so nice! I got a nice e-mail from addleshaw goddard the other day so will probably apply to them just because of that!
chalks
Put together a target list of, say, 20 firms (although i'd recommend more) and start researching them on the net. Look at the law magazine websites. Look at the firm's own websites. Dig around and see what you can find out so that when you start putting together your application you can tailor it to them.

This sounds like a good place to start. This might be a stupid question but...how do people actually use the 'Training contract and Pupillage handbook' when deciding which firms to apply to. All the firms sound so good and they sound the same.

Also, do you have to register online with the firm that you are considering applying to in order to see what their application form looks like. There are only a few firms for which I have been able to download the application form for to see what it is like.

I will not be applying for a christmas placement as I am going on holiday during the times that most firms set their dates for the placement. Incidentally, for those of you who are considering applying for christmas vacation schemes the closing dates are fast approaching for most and have already past for a lot too (Lovells, I think).
Reply 22
Unfortunately, firms ARE very similar despite what their brochures say etc. The information you'll glean from websites and so on won't really help you decide which to apply to - it will help you in tailoring the application once you've decided to go for a certain firm.

At this stage, there's something to be said for adopting the shotgun rather than sniper rifle approach. Rather than trying to pick off an individual firm which takes your fancy, blast as many as possible and hope that you hit one.

You might just decide to go for a "type" of firm eg only the largest 20, or just the mid-tier firms, only those that undertake media work, the largest in your Uni city, the best at litigation etc as your way of narrowing down the pack of firms to a manageble bunch who you can apply to. Once you've got that "type" of firm identified, research all of them in as much detail as poss then blitz the applications.
Yeah, they all write the same things about themselves ... because they all know what undergrads want to hear and what impresses people. "We act for x FTSE clients, have these international offices, have massive trainee satisfaction, are big, in London, early responsibility... a firm which TRULY stands out" etc.

In terms of the online thing super many firms go thru sites such as "cvmail.co.uk" and the like, where you register for this site and then you can see their form. The firm wont know you have looked at it until you hit "submit", many of the firms actually use these services for the forms, I haven't seen many who rely purely on their own system.
Slaughters dont interview, so they are looking for extremely good from a form alone (for vac scheme). Also, they set very high standards regardless, and can afford to because they are so competitive.

Just hoping my 2.2 - 1st between first and second year shows a true reflection of what im capable of and they dont be gay and look at 1st year, when blatently they should be looking at the other one as far more important.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Slaughters dont interview, so they are looking for extremely good from a form alone (for vac scheme). Also, they set very high standards regardless, and can afford to because they are so competitive.

Just hoping my 2.2 - 1st between first and second year shows a true reflection of what im capable of and they dont be gay and look at 1st year, when blatently they should be looking at the other one as far more important.

The amount Slaughter and May spend on recruitment is tiny in comparison to other firms. Ashurst spend the most on their vac scheme apparently. I'd be surprised if they focused on your first year results; two partners actually said [I'm doing a year abroad too] that they're much more interested in where you're going etc.
Yeah I know, just they can look for any excuse to distinguish candidates. However, I think I have some pretty impressive stuff to write about this year abroad and bar management etc for responsibility, I picked up some pretty useful experience at key tasks.

Where's ur year abroad mate?
tomcoolinguk
The amount Slaughter and May spend on recruitment is tiny in comparison to other firms. Ashurst spend the most on their vac scheme apparently. I'd be surprised if they focused on your first year results; two partners actually said [I'm doing a year abroad too] that they're much more interested in where you're going etc.

The problem is, if you're not having a year abroad or anything (or if you're non-law and so applying later in your course) then you're applying in semester 1 of year 2, so unless you get your Christmas exam results early enough (I didnt) then the only results you have to submit are your first year results.

This is where cracking extra curriculars and a job, and volunteer work, and conquering Everest etc etc etc come in to distract grad recruitment from a 59% average! :wink:
Yeah my first year average was like 57 or something, I did poop! Semester 1 in january I picked up really awesome marks... including an 84 in one module, was wounded but then again I didn't apply for any mroe than 2 last year anyway, cos I knew there was no point what with only being like 2/4 year. They are recruiting for 2008, why waste time with ppl who aren't eligivle. Vac schems are just used as interviews, so they aint gonna waste money on ppl who aren't eligible, or I think ur really up against it. So i waited for my 2nd year grades, and now I give myself as good a shot as any (Bar some total legends).
ellewoods
The problem is, if you're not having a year abroad or anything (or if you're non-law and so applying later in your course) then you're applying in semester 1 of year 2, so unless you get your Christmas exam results early enough (I didnt) then the only results you have to submit are your first year results.

This is where cracking extra curriculars and a job, and volunteer work, and conquering Everest etc etc etc come in to distract grad recruitment from a 59% average! :wink:

Lol - I was only referencing that to Lewis (who is on a four year course).
So is a low 2.1 going to be a problem? :frown: Will they pay attention to the marks I've received in my essays so far this year?
Reply 31
So.... what (in the last two years) has been your greatest non-academic achievement? Also, why is it really important to you?

What happens if you get a question similar to the above and you are a normal person? One hears jokes about climbing Mt. Everest etc. but what, seriously, do they expect you to put? I want concrete examples, please.
Do law firms only do presentations at universitys in which they are interested in recruiting applicants from or is it more of a honourary thing (if that is at all possible)?

I am thinking of applying this week for vacation placements in either Easter or the Summer, is there any problem with doing that i.e. should I wait until after the new year etc?
I am going on holiday during the Christmas period so I will be unable to do a placement then.
superdillon
Do law firms only do presentations at universitys in which they are interested in recruiting applicants from or is it more of a honourary thing (if that is at all possible)?

I am thinking of applying this week for vacation placements in either Easter or the Summer, is there any problem with doing that i.e. should I wait until after the new year etc?
I am going on holiday during the Christmas period so I will be unable to do a placement then.

I think it's definitely good to apply early. The only reason to wait is if you think something will happen in between now and the deadline that would affect what you put on your application, e.g. exam results or extra work experience. Having said that, you may be able to provide the firm with an update anyway.
dragon_1706
I think it's definitely good to apply early. The only reason to wait is if you think something will happen in between now and the deadline that would affect what you put on your application, e.g. exam results or extra work experience. Having said that, you may be able to provide the firm with an update anyway.
So you can add material to your application form once you have sent it?
superdillon
So you can add material to your application form once you have sent it?

I think it probably depends on the firm. I'm sure one that I applied to last year had a facility for that, but I doubt they all do. It's probably not a bad idea to check with HR before submitting a form to be on the safe side.
Yeah don't wait, do them asap ... I am not sure if they contact your reference but that might save you if you didn't perform as well as you would like to in first year.

As to the question of what normal ppl have to put, I guess they want ppl who aren't just normal and have stuff. EVeryone will have something sporty or position of responsibility which gave them something good recently, if you don't have ANYTHING then ur not what they're looking for in a way, hence the question being there in the first place!
Do most applications ask for 2 references?
Academic and then either personal or past employer. Lots say the 2nd is optional actually.

As for amending the form, it tends to only allow you to update contact details, but im sure you could contact them directly ... but saying you forgot something wouldn't look very good. And by the time you get results you will probably have heard "come to interview" or "c ya". At which point they might ask how you got on in January, although I am aware that not many unis actually employ january assessments. You could always slyly mention that you were blowing 2nd year away thogh im sure.
Reply 39
To add to this discussion, I'd say just apply to the firms you're interested in. You never really know what will interest the law firms anyway. I made a mistake in my first year exam and got a third, but averaged a low 2:1 anyway and the law firms accepted my 'mitigating circumstances', though it was a mistake made by me. I thought my chances wouldn't be too high as a result and applied for 2 vacation schemes within the top 10. Got both and had to give up one due to a clash in times. So just apply, you never know, and I can say that a vacation scheme increases your chances of a training contract *exponentially*.

Latest

Trending

Trending