The Student Room Group

How often for an oil change

Scroll to see replies

I just LOVE changing oil
Original post by danty
Don't let you're step dad's friend service your car. Take it to Vauxhall.

It might cost more per service but it will retain a lot more of it's value when you come to selling a low mileage Vauxhall Adam with full dealer service history - and if that's in a few years then you'll see the benefits.

People who "service" cars do the oil and the filters - common service parts, but a dealer full service includes full fluid replacement (brakes, gearbox oil) and a general once over on the car by people who know what to look for on that specific car.

If you can't afford to get it done by Vauxhall, at least get it done by a reputable VAT registered garage that will stamp your service book for you.

~Matt

My step dads friend is the service manager at one of my local Vauxhalls. I wouldn't of just taken it anywhere...

He never did get back to us tho, so I'll be taking it to jct next weekend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danty

People who "service" cars do the oil and the filters - common service parts, but a dealer full service includes full fluid replacement (brakes, gearbox oil) and a general once over on the car by people who know what to look for on that specific car.

That's not true I'm afraid - the dealer will only follow the published service schedule, in just the same way as any other garage should do (I realise some may not, but they're the exception rather than the rule). A lot of gearboxes don't have a replacement interval for their fluid, but if they do it's likely to be somewhere around 100,000 miles. Brake fluid is replaced on an age rather than mileage basis, though it may be included in every other service. You shouldn't find a dealership doing work that isn't required - and if you do, stop using them, as they're charging you for unnecessary work.

As for a full dealer service history, that might be useful if you plan to sell the car whilst it's still quite new, but after a few years it's just having a record that the car has been properly serviced that matters.
To be honest JCT don't see to do much other than change the oil and the oil filter, the rest of the service is checks (vehicle checks, anti-corrosion check) Im assuming that the vehicle check would highlight anything that needs doing outside sorting the oil but it did seem that the dealership I actually bought the car from offered a lot more as part of the service but it's not exactly that close and Im getting a good deal at Jct so I'll see how it gets on there this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending