The Student Room Group

Is the UK gaming industry dead?

Seeing though all the jobs are in north America..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
There's rockstar north in Scotland , its my dream to work there :smile:
Original post by Rugar Rell
Seeing though all the jobs are in north America..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study games programming.

Th UK games industry is not based in the UK itself due to tax reasons. Most game companies are based in either Paris or Ireland as they don't have the same taxes as the UK.

Of there are loads in America too, but these will be American companies. There are indie startups in the UK, but the generally tend to fail because of the taxes that the UK gives to gaming companies here. They have just tarted out so can't set up a company in France.

Blizzard Entertainment head office for the EU is in Paris and it's support is based in Ireland :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by gandall
I study games programming.

Th UK games industry is not based in the UK itself due to tax reasons. Most game companies are based in either Paris or Ireland as they don't have the same taxes as the UK.

Of there are loads in America too, but these will be American companies. There are indie startups in the UK, but the generally tend to fail because of the taxes that the UK gives to gaming companies here. They have just tarted out so can't set up a company in France.

Blizzard Entertainment head office for the EU is in Paris and it's support is based in Ireland :biggrin:

So basically if you want to work in the industry be prepared to pack up and leave the UK I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rugar Rell
So basically if you want to work in the industry be prepared to pack up and leave the UK I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a way, but you are helped... If you apply for a job in a company that lives in America or France (or wherever, the location doesn't matter) The company will help you find a place in the new country.

It doesn't matter that you live in the UK. If you get a job in another country they will help you move :biggrin:
Of course there are game companies in the UK.

Rockstar North, Creative Assembly, Lionhead Studios, Rare (what's left of it), Rebellion, Crytek UK, Jagex, off the top of my head.

Obviously not as big as America though.
Reply 6
Does anyone know what are the chances of an International ( Non EU citizen ) landing a job at any game company? I was unaware of these taxes, but do game companies like Rockstar north sponsor visa for internationals?
Reply 7
Original post by gandall
In a way, but you are helped... If you apply for a job in a company that lives in America or France (or wherever, the location doesn't matter) The company will help you find a place in the new country.

It doesn't matter that you live in the UK. If you get a job in another country they will help you move :biggrin:

Seems like a lonely life to me you probably have to travel alot and get shipped round

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Raysorb
Does anyone know what are the chances of an International ( Non EU citizen ) landing a job at any game company? I was unaware of these taxes, but do game companies like Rockstar north sponsor visa for internationals?

Well I doubt everyone at R* is America/British..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I work as a Junior Software and Games Programmer in the UK :smile: we don't make commercial game as in we don't make our own games, instead we take on work from clients inside and outside of the UK, we make games for entertainment and serious games for learning, but we also make applications for mobiles using game mechanics (We made the GAME Retail Augmented Reality Scanner application).

There are many jobs in the UK for games development although due to tax reasons it is true many company have there main bases in Ireland but Unreal have just opened a new office here in England.

The biggest misconception with the games industry worldwide is people thinking that all the games are made by large companies, when over 70% of games are made from small indie companies and many of them are in the UK.

Although I have worked in the games industry for the past 2 years I will be leaving my job to go and get my degree (I am 19 in May) this year.

The one thing to realise is, is that America is a lot bigger than the UK, so there are so many more jobs in almost every field there, but the UK has enough, although I personally plan to open my own business after I finish my Degree/Masters(maybe).

From what I have found is that UK games companies require a lot of experience to get into, that is why I went straight into it at a young age learning to program when I was 13 and managed to get a job by the time I was 16 (almost 17), the best way to get into it in the UK is to simply have the skills they want, learn as much as you can, I personally found having Unity3D and C# programming skills to be a massive help.

As a side note, many people in the games industry work from home as well as freelance Programmers or Artists and work alongside companies in many different countries and I know of a few people who while doing this have ended up opening an office in the UK as a UK base for bigger american companies!
Team 17 is in England!

So are Slightly Mad Studios (NFS Shift, Project CARS) and Codemasters.

As above though, you can be an indie wherever you want.
It has been on the wane for years. I grew up with computer games that are frequently made by British developers - Psygnosis (WipeOut, Lemmings, Anarchy etc), Bitmap Brothers (Xenon and Speedball etc) and even the likes of Criterion Games (Burnout) appear to be dormant. Didn't know Codemasters are British. Looks like nearly all of the racing games I like are British made: Fuel, Dirt 2, Burnout Paradise, Micro Machines, Grid, Pure, Split/Second, Lotus Turbo Esprit Turbo Challenge, MotorStorm, Forza Horizon (partly), Blur and PGR 4.
Original post by gandall

If you get the job. Which you won't if there is someone as good as you already in the country.
I still remember when gaming was getting utterly destroyed around 2005, all these great developers (mainly from the UK) suddenly dying or getting eaten up by EA. It was sad, we saw top franchises suddenly die. It was the beginning of EA turning to the dark side and ruling gaming as its emperor.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Calum.McManus
I work as a Junior Software and Games Programmer in the UK :smile: we don't make commercial game as in we don't make our own games, instead we take on work from clients inside and outside of the UK, we make games for entertainment and serious games for learning, but we also make applications for mobiles using game mechanics (We made the GAME Retail Augmented Reality Scanner application).

There are many jobs in the UK for games development although due to tax reasons it is true many company have there main bases in Ireland but Unreal have just opened a new office here in England.

The biggest misconception with the games industry worldwide is people thinking that all the games are made by large companies, when over 70% of games are made from small indie companies and many of them are in the UK.

Although I have worked in the games industry for the past 2 years I will be leaving my job to go and get my degree (I am 19 in May) this year.

The one thing to realise is, is that America is a lot bigger than the UK, so there are so many more jobs in almost every field there, but the UK has enough, although I personally plan to open my own business after I finish my Degree/Masters(maybe).

From what I have found is that UK games companies require a lot of experience to get into, that is why I went straight into it at a young age learning to program when I was 13 and managed to get a job by the time I was 16 (almost 17), the best way to get into it in the UK is to simply have the skills they want, learn as much as you can, I personally found having Unity3D and C# programming skills to be a massive help.

As a side note, many people in the games industry work from home as well as freelance Programmers or Artists and work alongside companies in many different countries and I know of a few people who while doing this have ended up opening an office in the UK as a UK base for bigger american companies!

Hi Calum,

Hope you don't mind me asking. I am a little worried about my son; he is doing a degree in Games programming and coming to the end of his second year. He now has to do a year in industry but is struggling to find a placement.

Any advice on where to look and how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by LMcD
Hi Calum,

Hope you don't mind me asking. I am a little worried about my son; he is doing a degree in Games programming and coming to the end of his second year. He now has to do a year in industry but is struggling to find a placement.

Any advice on where to look and how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

The best thing to do is simply looks for near by companies that do this kind of work and contact them all explaining his situation.
another good idea is to sign up to LinkedIn so that the companies you contact have easy access to his details and skill set.

Small companies are the best to work in to gain experience as you get to do a much wider range of jobs and projects and they also are always looking out for Uni students willing to work on a lower pay scale.

If he ever gets an interview it is best to bring some work in to show them to demonstrate his knowledge and even though he is a student, a company will still be looking for someone who can really work for that year without much training.

Quick Reply

Latest