The Student Room Group

Bought a laptop from Internet troll. Now I'm banned from everything!!!

I bought a new laptop from a store near me. It has been restored to network settings. I signed up to a few parenting forums a few weeks ago to get some advice and support. Since joining I have been deleted and told any subsequent attempts to sign up will be blocked as I am a previously banned member. Mumsnet have even put a comment on one of my threads that I'm a 'hair knuckled previously banned member' whatever that means. I find this disturbing as I have received great advice since joining and now others who have given me advice will probably think I am nothing more than a time waster.
Its clear the previous owner was a bit of an Internet troll but this now means I am barred from several sites. Two of four forums I joined have the IP as banned so goodness knows what else is barred.

Emailing the websites only confirmed that I had been barred due to activity that happened before I got my laptop and they are not willing to believe I am a different person on the same laptop. :-(

obviously being banned from a parenting forum isn't the end of the world but it is unjust in the circumstances so makes me angry.

What at would you recommended and how is it possible to change the IP address if at all?

i won't take the laptop back because of this as otherwise it's a great laptop. I've never heard of anyone else with the same problem but I doubt I am the only one who this has happened to.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mezza362
I bought a new laptop from a store near me. It has been restored to network settings. I signed up to a few parenting forums a few weeks ago to get some advice and support. Since joining I have been deleted and told any subsequent attempts to sign up will be blocked as I am a previously banned member. Mumsnet have even put a comment on one of my threads that I'm a 'hair knuckled previously banned member' whatever that means. I find this disturbing as I have received great advice since joining and now others who have given me advice will probably think I am nothing more than a time waster.
Its clear the previous owner was a bit of an Internet troll but this now means I am barred from several sites. Two of four forums I joined have the IP as banned so goodness knows what else is barred.

Emailing the websites only confirmed that I had been barred due to activity that happened before I got my laptop and they are not willing to believe I am a different person on the same laptop. :-(

obviously being banned from a parenting forum isn't the end of the world but it is unjust in the circumstances so makes me angry.

What at would you recommended and how is it possible to change the IP address if at all?

i won't take the laptop back because of this as otherwise it's a great laptop. I've never heard of anyone else with the same problem but I doubt I am the only one who this has happened to.

It might be because you're a troll?

What does "It has been restored to network settings" even mean?
Reply 2
Original post by Mad Vlad
It might be because you're a troll?

What does "It has been restored to network settings" even mean?

It means it's been restored to the way the laptop was when it came out the factory it was made by. All personal data removed.

If i was a troll I would know it and accept that's why I was barred. This issue is that the behaviour that got the IP address barred all happened before I even purchased the laptop so I have a laptop that is basically blacklisted from two sites I know of and goodness knows how many more due to the activity of the previous owner or even the owner before that if there were more than 1. Unless I had joined those forums I wouldn't have even known about its history.

Its definetly not fair and just wondering what I can do about it. If anything.
Forgive me if this is totally wrong... but I assumed that every time you turned off you machine your IP was altered? And that you IP changed depending on location? So if you go to Starbucks and use their free internet, you'll have a different IP address than your home?

I'm the 'Google it' generation I guess... but I found this? If it helps?

You could try contacting the computer shop that sold you the laptop, they might even be able to advise you or take a look :-)

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-ip

I hope you get this sorted, it's horrible that you have to suffer for someone else's problem.
It means it's been restored to the way the laptop was when it came out the factory it was made by. All personal data removed.

If i was a troll I would know it and accept that's why I was barred. This issue is that the behaviour that got the IP address barred all happened before I even purchased the laptop so I have a laptop that is basically blacklisted from two sites I know of and goodness knows how many more due to the activity of the previous owner or even the owner before that if there were more than 1. Unless I had joined those forums I wouldn't have even known about its history.

So, one of these highlighted statements is *******s. :erm: I have a feeling that it's statement 2.
Source: I'm a forensics expert.
Reply 5
Nice try but you might want to learn how ip addresses work before telling us a pack of lies.
Mate Paul O Grady could get banned from Mumsnet
Reply 7
I presume it's the IP address that's barred. What else could it be?
i have been barred based on activity which happened on the laptop before I got it. So it must be related to the laptop itself. The ban was made before I got the laptop and before I had even heard of the forum.

Obviously i I have a completely different internet, email and location to the previous owner.

I know it's not a big deal but I'm concerned about what others sites may be blocked.

If if you don't believe that's fine, hopefully someone else can advise me.
I presume it's the IP address that's barred. What else could it be?
i have been barred based on activity which happened on the laptop before I got it. So it must be related to the laptop itself. The ban was made before I got the laptop and before I had even heard of the forum.

Obviously i I have a completely different internet, email and location to the previous owner.

I know it's not a big deal but I'm concerned about what others sites may be blocked.

If if you don't believe that's fine, hopefully someone else can advise me.

Basically everything you have said is crap. Your IP address is not tied to the laptop, it's tied to your internet connection at that address (and in the case of dynamic IP addresses, even that isn't always true). Which computer you're using has **** all to do with it.

As every one else said, you're talking absolute bull****. Vlad over there is a forensics guy. Potally Tissed is software I believe, and I'm networks

Your IP address is not attached to your laptop. You won't have been barred from places, unless you've managed to get yourself banned. If you were actually "barred" then you wouldnt be able to access your account using these sites, using your mobile phone either, over WiFi

It sounds like you've been banned tbh, from those sites, and are looking for some sort of excuse to tell the mods.

Your internal IP address does not matter one bit. Within a "normal" home network, (and a few businesses, in a simplified way of saying things), you will receive an IP address from your ISP.

This will be an IP for the entire network.

Because of security reasons, and so that packets don't collide with each other on the internet, get sent the wrong way etc... we use something called NAT (Nat can go die in a hole ... even if it's amazing technology... ) to translate your public IP address to a private one (Or the other way around.. Maybe.. )

As a side note, I think if they did "go the wrong way" it would be kinda funny at times ie: if person A (being an old lady) wants to load up the BBC website, and person B wants to load up some...NSFW website, and then they end up getting the opposite data that they actually requested :tongue:

Yeah, your internal IP address may be the same as mine

You may have an IP address of 192.168.1.14 and I may well have the exact same one. Internal IP's simply do not matter.
I must say, I find it surprising that this thread exists still, unless the posting mods have no jurisdiction here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Don't really understand about the IP address but what I do know is that I have been banned from two sites due to activity before I got the laptop or joined the forum.

I know that forums like this have a system of banning members which means they can identify them and block them Again. This is what has happened. How they do it I don't know.

But in this instance, I am not the original user of the laptop.

Only other explanation is that someone used the same network as me and previously got barred from this site. but then everyone on the network would be banned.

Anyway, still hoping someone can give me a useful reply.

I know for a fact I'm telling the truth. I may not know much about technology, but I know that I didn't get barred from a forum that I never knew existed, because that, is completely impossible
Reply 12
I presumed it was related to the IP address but obviously that is incorrect. The email didn't say it was the IP. I made the conclusion as I didn't know what else it could be.

Just ts because it isn't the IP doesn't mean I'm lying. Just means im wrong about it being the IP. obviously something else relating to the laptop is barred.

whoever used that computer would be barred to. If I were to sell it on.
I presumed it was related to the IP address but obviously that is incorrect. The email didn't say it was the IP. I made the conclusion as I didn't know what else it could be.

Just ts because it isn't the IP doesn't mean I'm lying. Just means im wrong about it being the IP. obviously something else relating to the laptop is barred.

Delete your cookies and try again in like a day, otherwise could be that someone is using your internet (do you have kids with internet access? Password protected wifi?) and trolling forums and it coincidentally coincides with getting the laptop.
Reply 14

The only way it'd be you IP is if you'd been banned previously from that IP or range.

Try changing your IP and access a site you're banned from, just so you can prove to yourself it's not an IP ban. Alternative access it from another device through the same router.
Maybe you got banned for being such a lying twit.
Reply 16
Original post by Wahrheit
Delete your cookies and try again in like a day, otherwise could be that someone is using your internet (do you have kids with internet access? Password protected wifi?) and trolling forums and it coincidentally coincides with getting the laptop.

Thank you you so much for a genuinely helpful reply. I only have myself and my son who is only a baby at home but do have friends who visit a lot who have my password and use the Internet in my home. But they havent been on my laptop, just used my wifi. They have used my wifi since I moved into my home over a year ago.
I have used the laptop in friends houses using their wifi too.
If they were trolling forums on my wifi could that cause my laptop to be blocked?
Reply 17
Original post by pjm600
The only way it'd be you IP is if you'd been banned previously from that IP or range.

Try changing your IP and access a site you're banned from, just so you can prove to yourself it's not an IP ban. Alternative access it from another device through the same router.

So basically, the only way for my laptop to be banned due to orevious activity via IP, would be for the laptop to be used on my home network?

this definetly hadn't happened so wouldn't be the IP if this is the case. It wasn't a friend who orevious owned it but a stranger
Thank you you so much for a genuinely helpful reply. I only have myself and my son who is only a baby at home but do have friends who visit a lot who have my password and use the Internet in my home. But they havent been on my laptop, just used my wifi. They have used my wifi since I moved into my home over a year ago.
I have used the laptop in friends houses using their wifi too.
If they were trolling forums on my wifi could that cause my laptop to be blocked?

So the way I see it there's three possibilities: either the laptop hasn't been cleaned properly and the old cookies are still there, in which case deleting cookies or using private browsing should sort it; you've been hacked on a bunch of your accounts and they've just decided to troll you by getting you banned (in which case password reset on all sites/email would be necessary); or it's somebody using your wifi (either a friend or someone, maybe a neighbour, who has hacked into it and has decided to troll loads of forums. Sometimes if a forum bans an account they ban all up addresses that have accessed that account recently.

As others have said, they cannot/do not identify the device, but rather use either cookies (easily deleted, google it if unsure eg 'how to delete cookies in google chrome') or IP address (aka they identify your network/categorise all devices using your wifi as the same)

Safest bet is to reset your passwords, delete your cookies, leave it a few days and change your home network password
Could be mac address banned??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending