The Student Room Group

Ombudsman... what is the worst thing that could happen?

I'm in my final year, everything was okay(ish) until December 2022. Then the problems started with 14 days without internet, followed by unjustified sanctions against me during online assessments, strikes, bed bug infestations (from March to June), rejecting my Special Circumstances Request, sanctioning me again according to stealth-edited policy, I was never removed from the "temporary" accommodation ban list, etc.

Not only was a response to each subsequent stage of the formal complaint late, but the responses often contradicted each other. For example, the university claimed that it had offered me a move to another hall in March, but when I challenged this, the university changed its story and claimed that only postgraduate students had this option after I moved out in June. It doesn't even make any logical sense.

The only "compensation" the uni offered me as a "goodwill gesture" was a full refund of late payment charges, but I had to chase it twice, and it took 63 days to get a partial refund.
I reached the final stage in October, the response was due by the 14th of November. After countless escalations and extended deadlines, the university responded today and offered me a compensation of £2200, claiming they already paid me £575 (they did not).

I asked the university to reconsider my SCR, investigate the contradictions, remove the ban (last year), etc. but the university is not willing to do any of that.

So what should I do? What would you do? Would you accept it and move on? Would you go to Ombudsman?
In an ideal world, what outcome are you after?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending