The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

India/WI and NZ/SL are the games I'm next excited about.
Original post by Mackay
India/WI and NZ/SL are the games I'm next excited about.

You mean Aus/SL? NZ/SL was played on the first day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moment of truth
You mean Aus/SL? NZ/SL was played on the first day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did! Had a brain freeze - I'm so used to thinking about Williamson's dreamy face that I automatically think he should be playing every day.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah I did! Had a brain freeze - I'm so used to thinking about Williamson's dreamy face that I automatically think he should be playing every day.

:rofl: Made me laugh more than it really should have.
Original post by Mackay

I saw some stat which showed that he has only hit 29 sixes in ODI cricket lol and to hit one in that pressure situation is madness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_K1NG
Lol Imran ain't much better.

Its always the lesser evil you should chose. Always. And IK is the lesser evil.:wink:
Original post by Wannabe007
Its always the lesser evil you should chose. Always. And IK is the lesser evil.:wink:

Yeah but tbh, he really wishes well for Pakistan
Once he gets the power, he will do great things
I saw some stat which showed that he has only hit 29 sixes in ODI cricket lol and to hit one in that pressure situation is madness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Joe Root reminds me quite a bit of him, actually. That may be hyperbolic at the minute, but I'm convinced Root has the ability to be great. He seems a steady head on an accomplished, confident set of shoulders. Just hope he gets some decent coaching and decent team-mates.

I'd be looking to build the Test and ODI sides around Root's batting and Buttler's keeping for the next decade.

Buttler is wasted that far down the order at a shorter format level, too.
For now, Buttler needs to come in with 15-20 overs to go. Use him flexibly.
Original post by Wannabe007

lol ok if you say so.
Original post by Mackay
Joe Root reminds me quite a bit of him, actually. That may be hyperbolic at the minute, but I'm convinced Root has the ability to be great. He seems a steady head on an accomplished, confident set of shoulders. Just hope he gets some decent coaching and decent team-mates.

I'd be looking to build the Test and ODI sides around Root's batting and Buttler's keeping for the next decade.

Buttler is wasted that far down the order at a shorter format level, too.

Root does seem a great talent. I have only really seen him against India in the tests in England in the Summer, and possibly in India the year before but he does have the temperament and technique to succeed in tests, although will be interesting to see him against NZ in May in tests in England against a quality attack. Would you get rid of Ballance and bring in Hales for the next two matches?

If England get through to the quarters they will most likely have to face India which considering you guys smashed us in the tri-series could go to your advantage, although India are playing much better at the moment. The main problem has been your bowling, Anderson has one of the best records with the new ball but in this WC he has been terrible and has only taken 2 wickets (I think).
Root does seem a great talent. I have only really seen him against India in the tests in England in the Summer, and possibly in India the year before but he does have the temperament and technique to succeed in tests, although will be interesting to see him against NZ in May in tests in England against a quality attack. Would you get rid of Ballance and bring in Hales for the next two matches?

If England get through to the quarters they will most likely have to face India which considering you guys smashed us in the tri-series could go to your advantage, although India are playing much better at the moment. The main problem has been your bowling, Anderson has one of the best records with the new ball but in this WC he has been terrible and has only taken 2 wickets (I think).

The issue with the bowling is that we all knew Anderson would come into the squad regardless of form, but he was injured pre-tournament which means he's now having to get back up to full fitness while playing a World Cup. It's not ideal.

Broad is sensationally out of form. Woakes' death bowling is really poor, too.

I'd bring in Hales straight away. There's no point in not trying to change it. I'd also look to bring Tredwell in as a different option, and give Moeen a bigger emphasis with the ball. He's our only bowler averaging less than six an over right now.
Original post by binarythoughts
Yeah but tbh, he really wishes well for Pakistan
Once he gets the power, he will do great things

The thing is, we've forgotten what great leaders are like because its been years since we last had one.
We dont realise if selflessly wishing well for ones country is great (which is absent in all parties except his) solely or also fruitfully converting the wishes into effective plans, strategy and action. Having said that, atleast aik party tou naik neeyati ka saboot dey rahee hay.
Lets have faith in him, we'll get better, In Shaa Allah
Original post by Mackay
The issue with the bowling is that we all knew Anderson would come into the squad regardless of form, but he was injured pre-tournament which means he's now having to get back up to full fitness while playing a World Cup. It's not ideal.

Broad is sensationally out of form. Woakes' death bowling is really poor, too.

I'd bring in Hales straight away. There's no point in not trying to change it. I'd also look to bring Tredwell in as a different option, and give Moeen a bigger emphasis with the ball. He's our only bowler averaging less than six an over right now.

You have to hope that Anderson can perform a lot better in the rest of the tournament (however many games that is) cause he is vital. It doesn't help having all 3 seamers in poor form at the moment though haha.

Hales is a good option, can give the line up the much needed emphasis at the top of the order, although as he hasn't played much international cricket recently he may not do much better than Ballance. It's still worth the chance though.
You have to hope that Anderson can perform a lot better in the rest of the tournament (however many games that is) cause he is vital. It doesn't help having all 3 seamers in poor form at the moment though haha.

Hales is a good option, can give the line up the much needed emphasis at the top of the order, although as he hasn't played much international cricket recently he may not do much better than Ballance. It's still worth the chance though.

I'd have had Hales in to open with Moeen, with Bell at 3 a long time ago. Unsure why Buttler's so far down the order, either. He has the potential to be a Gilchrist for us.
Hales, Ali, Root, Taylor, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler.

That batting order after the WC please.
Original post by Louis.
Hales, Ali, Root, Taylor, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler.

That batting order after the WC please.

Swap Buttler with Moeen imo.
Original post by Mackay
Swap Buttler with Moeen imo.

I could agree with that. Hales needs an aggressor with him up top because he likes to have a look early on and explode when he's set. Would be happy with Buttler starting or finishing* an innings, just think Root/Taylor/Morgan would be better coming in through the middle overs.

*By that I mean if a wicket goes down with less than 20 overs to go, Buttler should be the bloke you turn to
Original post by Louis.
I could agree with that. Hales needs an aggressor with him up top because he likes to have a look early on and explode when he's set. Would be happy with Buttler starting or finishing* an innings, just think Root/Taylor/Morgan would be better coming in through the middle overs.

*By that I mean if a wicket goes down with less than 20 overs to go, Buttler should be the bloke you turn to

Completely agree. It made no sense to hold Buttler back against Scotland, tbh. I wanted him to go straight out there at three and boost our run rate spectacularly. Hit out or get out.
^No KP in those line ups lads? lol

But yeah, surprised at how inflexible the batting line up has been. Seems bizarre someone as forward thinking as Morgan hasn't been open to send Buttler early on but think the mistake of not getting rid of Cook earlier hasn't helped Morgan get a feel for things in the job.

Latest