The Student Room Group

When to say I love you?

When do you personally think is the best time to say I love you? How soon is too soon? Share your stories of when you and your partner first said it to each other :-)
When the time is right. There's no guidelines for it (although I think there's universal agreement that it's not cool to say it to someone on the first date) and it's fairly subjective. In past relationships it's been within a few weeks, with my current relationship it was after a couple of months.

Although there was an occasion where my then-girlfriend was living in Brighton, so I got a train to hers, chilled, then got a train back. As we parted ways at the station her mum called her. She was just getting off the phone as I was getting on the train, and at the end of the call she said "I love you". I thought she was talking to me, so I replied in kind, only to find out later that her mum was the intended recipient of the statement :facepalm:
Reply 2
Well men and women fall in love at different times. As I man I could go out somewhere and fall in love 30 odd times by just looking at the people around me whilst women need to warm to the person and feel security and genuine personally attraction so...

When do you personally think is the best time to say I love you?
I personally -- and remember this is me and not what I'm saying it should be for everyone -- think it's after your second time of cuddling together. I feel that's pretty cute :3

"How soon is too soon?"
When I was younger (14ish) I used to make he mistake of saying it too early, but when younger that stuff works. Too soon is anything before you past a significant physical milestone e.g lip kiss or sex.

"Share your stories of when you and your partner first said it to each other :-)"
Okay I'll keep it very short.
We'd been dating for around a month. She said it to me in a jokey way after I made her laugh hysterically --> (*laugh*, "omg, I love you") so I told her to say it again. She did. More seriously, then I smiled, said it back and kissed.
Original post by Anonymous
When do you personally think is the best time to say I love you? How soon is too soon? Share your stories of when you and your partner first said it to each other :-)

You don't :rolleyes:
Original post by Drunk Punx
When the time is right. There's no guidelines for it (although I think there's universal agreement that it's not cool to say it to someone on the first date) and it's fairly subjective. In past relationships it's been within a few weeks, with my current relationship it was after a couple of months.

Although there was an occasion where my then-girlfriend was living in Brighton, so I got a train to hers, chilled, then got a train back. As we parted ways at the station her mum called her. She was just getting off the phone as I was getting on the train, and at the end of the call she said "I love you". I thought she was talking to me, so I replied in kind, only to find out later that her mum was the intended recipient of the statement :facepalm:

But yeh, pretty much this !
68.5 < x < 69.5 days into the relationship.

Any other time would be frankly ridiculous.
Reply 6
No such thing as too soon. You should say it when you're certain that you're in love with the person. I was very scared to say it to my girl though, I was about to say it, I was on top of her kissing her and she was smiling up at me, I was like this "I... Uhhh... I..." just couldn't say it! It was scary, I didn't know how she would react. But she's so sweet, bless her heart, she knew what I wanted to say and she hugged me and kissed me. Then later that evening when we went our separate ways, she texted me saying "I love you", I was so happy and relieved, and I texted her back the same thing. And that was the first time we said "I love you" to each other. This was on the third time we met. I was already in love with her from the first time I saw her. So I don't think there's such a thing as too soon. Just as long as you're sure of how you're feeling. Don't say it just for the sake of saying it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aqqqqq
(edited 9 years ago)
Agreed with the above. There is no such thing as too soon. If you mean it, say it. I'd rather be told a few months into dating than never because the person is too afraid to say it.
Reply 8
Say it just about the time you feel it might help you score.

Then remember to tip your virtual hat to me.
So many people thinking there's no time that's too soon? :eek:

It takes me a long, long, long, long time to even think about saying it. And then a bit longer to actually do so. I would also feel really quite uncomfortable if the other person said it quite early on. With my current boyfriend it was definitely long after we've been together for at least a year already, I think.
Two weeks for me. No such thing as too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm when you feel the time is right I guess? :redface:
There isn't really a specific guideline tbh
No such thing as too soon.
I had been with my current partner about a month or so before we both said 'I love you'.
2 years down the line we are engaged and happy.
Is there really no such thing as too soon? If someone said it when o felt like they didn't know me well enough to say it with certainty I'd be a bit put off tbh:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending