The Student Room Group

Sixth form stress!!!

Hi, I am a year 12 student who's just finished their first term at sixth form and all I can say is that I'm really stressed out. The school I go to is a grammar school that all I can say is a bit elitist in ways I won't discuss, I'm just finding it really unsettling like I don't belong. The school have so many strict rules that I and other's think are ridiculous like not being able to wear a normal pullover because its "too thick" (it was just thicker and only just compared to a normal shirt). I take OCR biology which I'm struggling with so much coming from a secondary that made me do combined, English literature which I'm adapting to just finding crime a bit difficult absolutely love tragedy, psychology which I'm doing well (A-) in despite the overwhelming amount of content and as politics which i love but i have a teacher who's above everyone and definitely shows that she's on her phone 24/7 even when we are presenting and makes us work everything out ourselves practically teaching ourselves other than that i actually love politics and am on my end of year target (B). We have to do 20 hours of revision a week not including homework, then homework itself which is a mountain and then they have an approach called flipped learning where you teach yourself the lesson before you go in and then when going to lessons you have to know answers to all these questions which for biology doesn't help and when you don't know it they have a go at you for not studying enough. I don't think i'm being unreasonable when i say 20 hours of revision a week, 3 hours of homework a night and then flipped learning for each lesson the night before is too much is it?? I know sixth form is stressful but i feel like other schools aren't like this, on top of this i have work which i can't give up because i need to pay for petrol to get to school and the abundance of workbooks and you wouldn't believe how much stationary i go through. If you guys have any advice that would help so much, thank you :smile:
personally i don't take bio, but judging from my friends who do take ocr bio the workload does not seem to get any lighter... is there the option of switching / dropping ? obviously if you're passionate about bio then take this advice with a grain of salt, but if you're struggling more than manageable then its best to switch subject while you still can
Reply 2
Original post by whalewithknees
personally i don't take bio, but judging from my friends who do take ocr bio the workload does not seem to get any lighter... is there the option of switching / dropping ? obviously if you're passionate about bio then take this advice with a grain of salt, but if you're struggling more than manageable then its best to switch subject while you still can

I would absolutely love to but my school will not let me saying it's too late and I shouldn't have picked it to start off with
Reply 3
Hi, hope you are alright. 3 hours revision per night seems a bit much, 3 hours is appropriate for exam season though. All I would have to say is work steadily to get all your A level course done and noted down and just revise at a healthy pace. Also, get started on your coursework during the summer. Don't write it just plan it! Trust me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending