The Student Room Group

how long did it take you to say "i love you" in a relationship?

hi,

i've been in a relationship for a year now and my boyfriend and i are moving in with each other this week

we've yet actually to say "i love you". i didn't want to rush things, and i assume he hasn't said it for the same reason. we've been medium distance for the entire year we've been together. he lives around a 2-hour drive away from me, and although this isn't like an insane distance to have to travel to seem your partner, it wasn't really all that convenient at first since when we first started dating i was in year 13 and still attending sixth form, and he's doing an apprenticeship, so he's at work most days as well as attending college, so our schedules didn't really match up, but we made it work and i would usually stay at his for a weekend every 2 weeks, then during half terms i'd stay for a little bit longer

but now that i've finished my exams, gotten my results and am due to attend university in october we've spent significantly more time together, enough to even speak about the possibility of moving in together and now to actually moving in together. none of this is actually relevant to the question i asked, but i figured i'd explain our relationship regardless. my boyfriend is wonderful, we met by pure coincidence on some stupid app i've now deleted, and although i never really expected anything to become of it, since when we met i wasn't really in the best state of mind and was just looking for someone to sleep with (as bad as that sounds), but a few weekends spent at his place later and i decided that i would actually like to pursue something with him. he's very patient, so kind, loves to spoil and care for me, patient, and very mature, much more mature than me, as difficult as that is to admit lol it is very true, though i do my best to catch up to him and it works very well

back to the topic at hand, i get along very well with his family, his sister and i are like best friends and we speak every day. today she told me (after i'd bothered her about it) that my boyfriend plans to tell me that he loves me once we've moved in together. obviously, i didn't believe her at first, and i don't really know if i still do since i've never even given saying "i love you" a lot of thought, obviously every once in a while in our most intimate moments i do think about it, but for the most part i just figured it would happen eventually when both of us are comfortable enough with each other, but i never thought this day would actually come, it feels so odd

obviously, i'm very happy to hear about it, but i'm wondering, how long does it usually take people to say "i love you" to each other? is a year too short of a wait? i'm just asking out of pure curiosity, i do reciprocate the feelings and i'm so so so happy

so, how long did it take you to tell your partner that you love them?
Reply 1
things are different for everyone, i personally wouldn't say a year was too soon (i said it to my boyfriend after like a month tbh - it's been like 4 years now and we're still going strong) but it's all down to how you feel about it and how comfortable you are. i'm so glad to hear how happy you are and that you reciprocate the feelings - it really is such a lovely feeling to hear your partner say it for the first time and be able to say it back, i wish you and your boyfriend the best :smile:
Reply 2
Say it when you feel it. In my experience it’s usually said in the heady early days when it’s probably too soon to really know
I think it is easy to get hung up on this. It is mire important to think about how they treat you.

My parents were married for nearly 50 years never said it!
Original post by Anonymous
hi,

i've been in a relationship for a year now and my boyfriend and i are moving in with each other this week

we've yet actually to say "i love you". i didn't want to rush things, and i assume he hasn't said it for the same reason. we've been medium distance for the entire year we've been together. he lives around a 2-hour drive away from me, and although this isn't like an insane distance to have to travel to seem your partner, it wasn't really all that convenient at first since when we first started dating i was in year 13 and still attending sixth form, and he's doing an apprenticeship, so he's at work most days as well as attending college, so our schedules didn't really match up, but we made it work and i would usually stay at his for a weekend every 2 weeks, then during half terms i'd stay for a little bit longer

but now that i've finished my exams, gotten my results and am due to attend university in october we've spent significantly more time together, enough to even speak about the possibility of moving in together and now to actually moving in together. none of this is actually relevant to the question i asked, but i figured i'd explain our relationship regardless. my boyfriend is wonderful, we met by pure coincidence on some stupid app i've now deleted, and although i never really expected anything to become of it, since when we met i wasn't really in the best state of mind and was just looking for someone to sleep with (as bad as that sounds), but a few weekends spent at his place later and i decided that i would actually like to pursue something with him. he's very patient, so kind, loves to spoil and care for me, patient, and very mature, much more mature than me, as difficult as that is to admit lol it is very true, though i do my best to catch up to him and it works very well

back to the topic at hand, i get along very well with his family, his sister and i are like best friends and we speak every day. today she told me (after i'd bothered her about it) that my boyfriend plans to tell me that he loves me once we've moved in together. obviously, i didn't believe her at first, and i don't really know if i still do since i've never even given saying "i love you" a lot of thought, obviously every once in a while in our most intimate moments i do think about it, but for the most part i just figured it would happen eventually when both of us are comfortable enough with each other, but i never thought this day would actually come, it feels so odd

obviously, i'm very happy to hear about it, but i'm wondering, how long does it usually take people to say "i love you" to each other? is a year too short of a wait? i'm just asking out of pure curiosity, i do reciprocate the feelings and i'm so so so happy

I told my partner the very first few shifts we shared at work :smile:
Within a couple of months.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
Say it when you feel it. In my experience it’s usually said in the heady early days when it’s probably too soon to really know

yeahh, i feel like people are usually quick to say it, but then again waiting too long may not be the best idea, it's hard to find the right time so i think you're right, it's best to say it when you feel it
Reply 7
I think it is easy to get hung up on this. It is mire important to think about how they treat you.

My parents were married for nearly 50 years never said it!

50 years?? omg, i guess words aren't always necessary, you can easily just show your love for someone through actions and other things
Reply 8
When I know it, however long that is.

I'm very open with this. I tell family and mates I love em every day, it's not a big deal for me in any sense.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
yeahh, i feel like people are usually quick to say it, but then again waiting too long may not be the best idea, it's hard to find the right time so i think you're right, it's best to say it when you feel it

The dilemma of course is will it be reciprocated at the time. I have been fortunate that when I’ve gone first it has been. Although, I have learnt that love is not always for ever
hi,

I have also been with my boyfriend for over a year now and I said I love you first (lol) a month into our relationship and he said it back and that he had been thinking about saying it to me too. So basically whenever it feels right and you feel you love them, is when you say it
Reply 11
Everyone is different, and every relationship is different.
In one of my relationships we've never said that. It was obvious.
On my longest relationship we've said that a lot and pretty much since just dating. We still say that despite being apart. Because we do love each other but the relationship part doesn't work, we talk a lot and about deep stuff, so it often comes to the point of one needing support or motivation (usually me) and those three words are very helpful.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Kathy89
Everyone is different, and every relationship is different.
In one of my relationships we've never said that. It was obvious.
On my longest relationship we've said that a lot and pretty much since just dating. We still say that despite being apart. Because we do love each other but the relationship part doesn't work, we talk a lot and about deep stuff, so it often comes to the point of one needing support or motivation (usually me) and those three words are very helpful.

that's really sweet, even if the relationship didn't work out it's really nice that you're still very close
for me it'd be a month or two. whatever floats your boat, maybe he already feels it and does not need that explicit affirmation.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending