The Student Room Group

AQA EPQ

I know that this is the year of EPQ for all university appliers!

I was just wondering how many words everyone has written and people who did it last year or previous years, how did it go?

Is it hard to gain marks and what will be assessed in particular!
Thanks guuuuys:smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
I know that this is the year of EPQ for all university appliers!

I was just wondering how many words everyone has written and people who did it last year or previous years, how did it go?

Is it hard to gain marks and what will be assessed in particular!
Thanks guuuuys:smile:

I have got 0 words so far...
When is the deadline?
Don't do it!

if it's not compulsory
(edited 9 years ago)
I did 8,000 words just waiting for feedback. I thought it was ok and I need all the extra UCAS points I can get but then again I am quite selfmotivated and am more into typing up coursework... Having said that if I was starting the EPQ now I think I would be considerably more stressed given the time of year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sky.high
I have got 0 words so far...
When is the deadline?

may
Original post by jessamelia
Don't do it!

if it's not compulsory

it's compulsory at my school...why do u say that?
it's compulsory at my school...why do u say that?

It's not compulsory at most schools... It's normally just an extra you can do. Some people think it's too much work and too time consuming so that's why she might be suggesting not to do it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got exactly one month today until my presentation :s-smilie: I've just started writing it this week but I've only done 550 words. I don't think I would bother doing it again, I was really keen last year but I didn't manage to do it in the Summer liked I planned, and I don't really have enough time to really be dedicated to it :frown: Because I do Italian GCSE it clashes with EPQ sessions so I don't really get any instructions off my school which I don't like! I mean I know how to reference etc. anyway, but I feel I'm still missing out by not going to anything on it.
None-still can't decide on a psychology topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I did it with AQA two years ago, we were told the written report should be 5,000 words with 10% +/-, so anything between 4500 and 5500.

I got an A* when I did mine and had just under (if I remember correctly) 5100 words.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by smozsolution
When I did it with AQA two years ago, we were told the written report should be 5,000 words with 10% +/-, so anything between 4500 and 5500.

I got an A* when I did mine and had just under (if I remember correctly) 5100 words.

wow! well done...ill probably write like 4,00 words...
I had to cut mine down 😂😂 So yeah the maximum allowed is 5,500. Congrats to the person who got an A* I have no idea if I am even going to pass this in honesty...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FindingHappiness
I had to cut mine down 😂😂 So yeah the maximum allowed is 5,500. Congrats to the person who got an A* I have no idea if I am even going to pass this in honesty...

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh i thought the maximum was 5,000..haha
You had to cut yours down?!...how much did you write?!...i couldnt go over 3,000:smile:
And i am sure you did fine...gd luck!
Are you in year 13? Can you epq be about anything and does it count as a full a level? I'm in year 11 and wash considering writing up my epq in the summer. Thoughts?
oh i thought the maximum was 5,000..haha
You had to cut yours down?!...how much did you write?!...i couldnt go over 3,000:smile:
And i am sure you did fine...gd luck!

I got told there was a 10% margin :smile: Yeah I did... I wrote over 8,000 words and had to cut it down last minute because I just left it for months aha. Really? I think I just overcomplicated mine tbh, I tend to overthink essays like this, Thank you, you too!
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Are you in year 13? Can you epq be about anything and does it count as a full a level? I'm in year 11 and wash considering writing up my epq in the summer. Thoughts?

1) Yes
2a) Yes it can, but within reason, you can't make your topic too broad or offensive.
2b) It counts as an AS, i.e. half an A-Level.
3) I think it's a bit early for you to be doing your EPQ, I would wait until the summer of Year 12, you'll be amazed how much you learn about essay writing in AS. The jump between GCSE and A-Levels is quite big (but not too bad if you work hard) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest