The Student Room Group

Architecture - important questions

I couldnt find an architecture sub forum so Im just going to ask here. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them:

1. Does an architecture degree require much group work? What percentage of the degree is group work?
2. When you eventually become an architect, is there room for independant work/ jobs?
3. Is Maths A level necessary for architecture?
4. Can Art History substitute Art A level?
5. Is work experience in architecture firms necessary?
6. What other work experience do you recommend if one cannot get the above?

Thank you!
Reply 1
I think all of your questions have been answered in the Architecture Society http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101007 :smile:
Reply 2
Worth mentioning that from what I've experienced with friends on architecture courses, there's enough work in the course during the year to keep you busy 25 hours a day.
Reply 3
Thanks :sigh: looks like Ill have to trawl through that masssive thread
Reply 4
University Courses would sound the correct place, if you looked at the announcements?
Reply 5
Thanks!
Reply 6
Note to users reading this. The sub forum was created after this thread was created
Reply 7
^ Yay :biggrin:
Reply 8
In answer to your question about architects starting their own practise once qualified, then there is nothing to stop them legally. "Architect" is a professional title covered by law in the UK, so if you've got your RIBA part III you can go off and start working as an "Architect". If you want to go off and do some interior design or small house builds before hand, you can do that too, you just can't call yourself an architect - you can call yourself an "architectural designer" or an "interior designer" or any variation, just not "architect". however, as prad has said, the key thing if you want clients that aren't just your friends and family is reputation. That said, it is generally agreed that there is a window of 5 years between starting as a salaried employ and getting out there and starting your own firm - those who don't get used to the monthly pay cheque and settle into a pattern of being an employee. I think the most attractive option for me would be to go and work for a small, young, dynamic firm that's doing interesting work and get paid peanuts, but a high level of responsibility early on, then either stick with them as they grow, or go off and set up your own small, dynamic firm and attract young, enthusiastic, talent in to join you.

glenn murcutt is probably the only example of a "super-architect" who works pretty much alone today - though in the past this was obviously far more the norm (when architects weren't like stormin' norman and eager to have their name and mugshot plastered over the press every two minutes and cared more about the ££££ to finance their private helicopter than the art itself). rant over, but you get the point - rrp, fosters, etc are a long way removed from the work of corbusier and aalto, and i don't think that its just a product of computers - its a product of mentality and motivation.

but that's a whole different topic.
Reply 9
Thanks for the good advice :smile:
jrhartley
In answer to your question about architects starting their own practise once qualified, then there is nothing to stop them legally. "Architect" is a professional title covered by law in the UK, so if you've got your RIBA part III you can go off and start working as an "Architect". If you want to go off and do some interior design or small house builds before hand, you can do that too, you just can't call yourself an architect - you can call yourself an "architectural designer" or an "interior designer" or any variation, just not "architect".

however, you could move to guernsey where you can just call yourself an architect and set up your own business. this is an absolute pain in the neck though, as qualified architects end up fixing the mess after the damage is done. so if you live anywhere in the world with this extremely old-fashioned law, make sure that you get work experience from a qualified architect.

[sorry just a tip for smiley :smile:. it took ages to find someone qualified where i live]

Latest

Trending

Trending