The Student Room Group

How do you deal with loneliness?

So yeah basically I'm the kinda guy who has always struggled make many friends, I am slowly getting there by being a bit more confident in myself & putting myself in more social situations.

However, previously I've just ended up being quite lonely a lot & I just try to occupy myself with other things really, chatting to strangers online, watching random Youtube videos, listening to music, writing, reading, having deep philosophical thoughts etc :moon: Yourself? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't get lonely in the first place
Reply 2
By going on a forum called the student room...OBVIOUSLY
Reply 3
Original post by Multitalented me
So yeah basically I'm the kinda guy who has always struggled make many friends, I am slowly getting there by being a bit more confident in myself & putting myself in more social situations.

However, previously I've just ended up being quite lonely a lot & I just try to occupy myself with other things really, chatting to strangers online, watching random Youtube videos, listening to music, writing, reading, having deep philosophical thoughts etc :moon: Yourself? :tongue:

I thought I told you to get your **** together.
Anyway, find things you like doing in life. Do it. There'll be other people who like doing the same things. Make friends with them.
Reply 4
Original post by Kaiju

Reply 5
Just put yourself out there and try and make new friends. It can be hard at first but it usually works out :smile:
Original post by Leftee

:rofl2: This is such an appropriate response but I don't even know why.

And OP - when I get lonely I text friends/call my brother/chat to people online. Or just watch films and TV shows, they make me feel less alone for some reason.
LSD trip to la-la land.
Lift weights and listen to really depressing music. Total depends on my mood whether I go lift in a frenzy or go sit in a corner and cry to doom metal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaiju

Have you considered a career as a counsellor?
Reply 10
Original post by Birkenhead
Have you considered a career as a counsellor?

i did but they told me that a gold chain and a turtleneck wasn't appropriate work attire and i'm not about that scrub life
(edited 9 years ago)

I currently only have two proper friends. I get by ok :smile:
be around family.
Talk to people you're interested in and eventually if someone's interested in you too then you guy's will probably will hit if off and be friends - if not; keep it up, you'll meet enough interesting people to eventually over come or simply come to terms with yourself enough to be comfortable around people, in which case you'll attract the right people and they'll definitely be your friends. :smile:

Tl;dr - the trick is to be yourself around as many people as possible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just try and distract yourself as much as possible, that is what I try and do. Although, you will still be quite sad and feel lonely but it still helps :smile:
I don't tend to feel lonely, ever. Although I might be alone, it is always boredom rather than loneliness that gets me. I am a bit of a workaholic so tbh if it's outside of working hours I will just do some work whether I'm supposed to be doing that or not! Or I read a book. There are so many books out there, it's impossible to be lonely :biggrin:.
Story of my life.
Tbh, it doesn't really bother me though.
I can talk to people online better than irl. :redface:
Original post by Kaiju

I suppose the answer to anorexia is to "just eat something" then? Depressed people should "just cheer up"?
'Children who were never taught how to be happy alone only learned how to be lonely.'

You sound like me, thought I was the only one. I love my own company though, kind of weird. I don't get lonely. I must be really entertaining :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest