The Student Room Group

Can't believe people are nice.

So, I finished sixth form not too long ago and am super excited to start my journey into the working world. But, here's the thing that's kinda messing with my head I can't help but feel surprised when people are genuinely nice.
You see, back in school and college, I had to deal with fake friends who I associated with but when it came to socializing outside people always "forget to tell me" about plans :/ (there was no one else)

my Year 11 experience with a group of teachers was... well, it was rough, to say the least. Those memories really left me feeling like I can't trust people easily.

I can't help but feel a bit shaken by it all. It's like, part of me expects everyone to dislike me or treat me poorly, you know?

I get it, not everyone's the same, and I really want to believe in genuine kindness, but those past experiences have left their mark. It's tough to let go of that belief.

I seem stuck in a bit of a corner and whilst I try and meet new people and make friends it's difficult when I'm constantly judging every single small action I do in an interaction
Original post by Anonymous
So, I finished sixth form not too long ago and am super excited to start my journey into the working world. But, here's the thing that's kinda messing with my head I can't help but feel surprised when people are genuinely nice.
You see, back in school and college, I had to deal with fake friends who I associated with but when it came to socializing outside people always "forget to tell me" about plans :/ (there was no one else)

my Year 11 experience with a group of teachers was... well, it was rough, to say the least. Those memories really left me feeling like I can't trust people easily.

I can't help but feel a bit shaken by it all. It's like, part of me expects everyone to dislike me or treat me poorly, you know?

I get it, not everyone's the same, and I really want to believe in genuine kindness, but those past experiences have left their mark. It's tough to let go of that belief.

I seem stuck in a bit of a corner and whilst I try and meet new people and make friends it's difficult when I'm constantly judging every single small action I do in an interaction

Hey, i went through the exact same experience. I realised the true colours of my friends and after that I felt all trust was broken. When i went to uni, i started feeling that there was no point on making friends. Even when poeple asked me to go out for lunch, i just kept giving excuses, because I felt i didnt want to waste my time but also I didnt want them to find out who i was, as i was worried they would judge me like my past friends. Fast forward now, I wish I actually let my guard down because life is only going to get lonelier.. I literally don't have any so called 'uni friends' because i was soo bothered about how they would view me and didnt even give them the chance to become friends. I am soo angry at myself for letting my past define me, and for not letting myself enjoy uni and make friends. I learnt that life is too short and when your feeling down and don't have anyone to talk to you, its the worst feeling ever. you will eventually learn that your will have no choice but to trust expesscially if your going to work a full time job.
Hey, I totally understand you, I also went through something similar and I just know I'll never trust people as much. It gets better overtime, but it's never going to be the same, I just accepted it. But I do have 2 really close friends and that's all that matters to me, I don't need hundreds of friends, I just need a few real ones.
Reply 3
I went through similar; I struggled to accept kindness or help from others because I felt like I didn't deserve it or that I didn't need it. It's hard to get out of that mindset. I constantly have to remind myself "You show so much kindness to others, let people pay you back".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending