The Student Room Group

Web Design

Hey

I've gone back a few pages and haven't been able to find anyone applying for any kind of Web Design course.

Anyone already studying that? Or looking to?

I'm planning to take web design modules within my journalism degree, it'll stand me in good stead in that industry, I feel. And additionally, could always do a little freelance web design work on the side, if money is tight, am i right? I'm right.
I am :smile:
Original post by kingoftheting
I'm planning to take web design modules within my journalism degree, it'll stand me in good stead in that industry, I feel. And additionally, could always do a little freelance web design work on the side, if money is tight, am i right? I'm right.

Web design will usually come in handy for a journalist lol. I did actually consider journalism for a long while but I (this sounds SO personal statementish) didn't think it would fulfil my potential.

That is also what I thought, even though my course apparently has a high graduate rate for jobs. What made you want to do journalism? :smile:
Original post by Jibola240
I am :smile:

Yay! Another tekky lol.

Have you done any web design in A Level Media etc. beforehand or is it completely new for you? I did quite a bit when I was a kid, for fun, so I am aware some of what I learnt will be outdated, but then again, learning is what uni is there for :smile:
Original post by dottielottie
Yay! Another tekky lol.

Have you done any web design in A Level Media etc. beforehand or is it completely new for you? I did quite a bit when I was a kid, for fun, so I am aware some of what I learnt will be outdated, but then again, learning is what uni is there for :smile:

I didn't do any web design at A- level(I did do IT, but that was more office skills then any real computing lol). In my free time though, I did play around with the basics such as learning HTML, CSS etc. So I have some familiarity, but it's still quite new to me. Where do you/plan to study? If You don't mind me asking :smile:
There's still a little bit of confusion surrounding the difference between web design and web development, but just to add my two cents - if you would like to create web pages which allow users to interact with the site (and many web users expect that as a given these days), then you will need to learn how to use advanced CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) properties, code libraries (JQuery etc.) and Javascript (which is code rather than markup).

There are also technologies which are specifically used to handle data (PHP, SQL), but that tends to be the domain of 'back end' developers.

Basically, what I am saying, is that designing web pages can be really satisfying and interesting, but due to the sophistication of emerging web technologies which provide individuals with a 'rich' user experience, not to mention the number of different devices that users are accessing web content with, web design/development can get pretty complex!

This may be an exciting prospect for you though, particularly if you enjoy the variety of learning lots of different web technologies, and are able to combine a creative approach with logical thinking. There's loads of learning resources out there when it comes to web design, appropriately enough, many of them are on the web! Start learning some basic HTML Markup and CSS properties if you haven't already, and also start looking into the developer tools built into the browser, and project software which enables collaboration such as GitHub. That should give you a good head start.

Good luck with your applications!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending