The Student Room Group

What makes a maths degree so difficult?

Scroll to see replies

University: theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory theory practice.
A level: theory practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

.....what I've heard anyway.

Original post by studyworm
If you know the answers, it's easy. If you don't, then it is hard.

:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by rayquaza17
Degree maths is more about understanding whereas a levels were just remembering how to answer questions tbh.

At my uni we only get like 3 past papers and we don't get full solutions for them, so you can't just hammer the past papers for uni.

But tbh uni maths is a lot better than a levels, I'm getting much higher grades now than I did during a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By understanding does that mean you have to memorize all the proofs?
Original post by Necrofantasia
By understanding does that mean you have to memorize all the proofs?

Can I give two different answers? Based on my experiences so far (so two years at Newcastle):

For pure maths:
No, there's way too many to memorise! :shock: Sometimes the proofs have like common steps or start off the same way so you should try and remember those though.
For applied maths:
We don't get as many proofs in applied modules so yeah you should really try and memorise them.

But there is a difference between understanding something and memorising something.

Bonus answer: for stats I personally tried to memorise the proofs since I didn't even understand any of it. I am so glad I never have to learn statistics ever again in my life. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest