The Student Room Group

A paracetamol-related question.

Hi, guys!

Alright, so I am now suffering from a horrific case of flu, and I am being pumped with medicine. So yesterday, I was planning on taking some Lemsip (ugh, that stuff is disgusting), and Day & Night Nurse. But, both of these medicines contain paracetamol. Now, I am aware that it is not safe to take two or more things containing paracetamol. So, my question is this. How dangerous is it to take a higher than required dosage of paracetamol? What are the side effects of taking in too much of it?

Thanks! :biggrin:
If you can work out how much paracetomol is in each one you can space it out. The reason they say don't take two things with paracetomol in is so you don't accidentally overdose on it, which can affect your liver. Maybe try hot squash and sugar (instead of lemsip) and some paracetamol so you know what you're taking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some things that could happen to you in extreme cases of overdose:

Diarrhea

increased sweating

loss of appetite

nausea or vomiting

stomach cramps or pain

swelling, pain, or tenderness in the upper abdomen or stomach area

Wouldn't expect you to really face any of them in this case though.
Original post by EmmaLiu342

Diarrhea

increased sweating

loss of appetite

nausea or vomiting

stomach cramps or pain

In extreme cases of overdose with paracetamol you can develop fulminant liver failure and die and it's not a nice way to go.

Moved to health.
Reply 4
Original post by Sophi12
If you can work out how much paracetomol is in each one you can space it out. The reason they say don't take two things with paracetomol in is so you don't accidentally overdose on it, which can affect your liver. Maybe try hot squash and sugar (instead of lemsip) and some paracetamol so you know what you're taking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhh, I see! That makes sense now. I like to drink hot milk with honey, so I might drink that instead of Lemsip. Thanks!

Original post by EmmaLiu342

Diarrhea

increased sweating

loss of appetite

nausea or vomiting

stomach cramps or pain

Man, these side effects don't sound pleasant at all. Okay, will keep these in mind. Cheers :smile:

Original post by moonkatt
In extreme cases of overdose with paracetamol you can develop fulminant liver failure and die and it's not a nice way to go.

Moved to health.

That sounds scary. I hope I won't experience these any time soon. Thank you :smile:
Original post by TheArch
That sounds scary. I hope I won't experience these any time soon. Thank you :smile:

Sorry, my intention wasn't to scare you, but to clarify what an extreme overdose could cause. The suggestion someone's made about having a hot honey and lemon drink and taking paracetamol tablets rather than using something like lemsip is a good idea, as you would be able to be sure of how much paracetamol you're taking and you can make the drink to taste how you'd like it if you don't like lemsip.

If you want some more advice about medicines your local pharmacy should be able to advise you on what's safe to have :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
Sorry, my intention wasn't to scare you, but to clarify what an extreme overdose could cause. The suggestion someone's made about having a hot honey and lemon drink and taking paracetamol tablets rather than using something like lemsip is a good idea, as you would be able to be sure of how much paracetamol you're taking and you can make the drink to taste how you'd like it if you don't like lemsip.

If you want some more advice about medicines your local pharmacy should be able to advise you on what's safe to have :smile:

Haha it's fine, I know I would have to take a hell of a lot of paracetamol to be on the brink of death. Yeah, I much prefer hot milk rather than Lemsip.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest