The Student Room Group

Late intakes - What are they like?

Another thread from me, sorry.

Basically for Nursing Northumbria do a September intake and a March intake like most other uni's, despite applying for September I've been offered a place to start on March 2016.

Can anyone tell me what it's like to start later than the rest?
Do you get put into halls/flats with people who have been there since September?
Is it harder to make friends with you missing freshers week?

Thank you in advance, I'm just really worried because I love the uni and I want to go but I'm scared it won't be as good an experience now?
Original post by lorn.
Another thread from me, sorry.

Basically for Nursing Northumbria do a September intake and a March intake like most other uni's, despite applying for September I've been offered a place to start on March 2016.

Can anyone tell me what it's like to start later than the rest?
Do you get put into halls/flats with people who have been there since September?
Is it harder to make friends with you missing freshers week?

Thank you in advance, I'm just really worried because I love the uni and I want to go but I'm scared it won't be as good an experience now?

Hey there, well done on your offer! I'm in a simulate situation but with Teesside! I've been offered a place for the January intake and I'm also worried about this! Like when to apply for halls and what it will be like socially! I hope it'll be good for us still!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ollynicky
Hey there, well done on your offer! I'm in a simulate situation but with Teesside! I've been offered a place for the January intake and I'm also worried about this! Like when to apply for halls and what it will be like socially! I hope it'll be good for us still!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, same to you! I know, it's getting me really scared thinking they'll place you in a flat with people who have had a few months to get to know each other, have their own systems etc if you get me?
Original post by lorn.
Thank you, same to you! I know, it's getting me really scared thinking they'll place you in a flat with people who have had a few months to get to know each other, have their own systems etc if you get me?

Yup I totally get you! That is the same with me! Like I'm thinking who will I be out with and will they have already been there for months before me! Although I'm over joyed with getting a place I'm also a little nervous! And I was really looking forward to fresher's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yup I totally get you! That is the same with me! Like I'm thinking who will I be out with and will they have already been there for months before me! Although I'm over joyed with getting a place I'm also a little nervous! And I was really looking forward to fresher's!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really want to go here but my parents aren't keen on the distance, so they're not impressed that I have been offered a later intake and have to wait a year :'(

I'm not sure now whether to be excited or not... Or just go where they want me to go -.- and start in a few months!
Original post by lorn.
I really want to go here but my parents aren't keen on the distance, so they're not impressed that I have been offered a later intake and have to wait a year :'(

I'm not sure now whether to be excited or not... Or just go where they want me to go -.- and start in a few months!

Oh really why not? Were are you from like? Tbf aren't you old enough too make tour own decision? You can't choose something to please other people I've learnt that! This is my second time applying for children's nursing and I didn't think I was going to get in so other people wanted me to sort of give up and apply for something else! It was obvious I wasn't going to as all I want to so is children's nursing but hey luckily I got an offer today!

Honestly go with your heart in the short term your parents might be disappointed and let down but there nor always going to feel that way!

Good luck with what you choose! I only live a train journey away from Newcastle and its an okay place!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Oh really why not? Were are you from like? Tbf aren't you old enough too make tour own decision? You can't choose something to please other people I've learnt that! This is my second time applying for children's nursing and I didn't think I was going to get in so other people wanted me to sort of give up and apply for something else! It was obvious I wasn't going to as all I want to so is children's nursing but hey luckily I got an offer today!

Honestly go with your heart in the short term your parents might be disappointed and let down but there nor always going to feel that way!

Good luck with what you choose! I only live a train journey away from Newcastle and its an okay place!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Sheffield and I travel there on a frequent basis because my boyfriend lives there, so it's not THAT far... I'm 17 atm but I still class that as being old enough to make my own decision since I'll be 18 in a few months and this is MY future...

My parents are telling me not to let my boyfriend pressurize me into going there but in reality I feel as if they're the ones guilt tripping me into not going where I want to go?
Original post by lorn.
I live in Sheffield and I travel there on a frequent basis because my boyfriend lives there, so it's not THAT far... I'm 17 atm but I still class that as being old enough to make my own decision since I'll be 18 in a few months and this is MY future...

My parents are telling me not to let my boyfriend pressurize me into going there but in reality I feel as if they're the ones guilt tripping me into not going where I want to go?

Oh I see, its a travel away but sometimes gaining that independence is the best thing! And if you travel there frequently I don't see why they wouldn't want you to go to uni there!

You should go with you heart and with the university that suits you as a person as your the one going to be studying for the degree! I would say at nearly 18 your old enough to decide!

Yup it does sound like your parents are trying to control where you choose a little which is a shame because they should be confident that youll choose the right university for you! I'm 20 this year so my mam has no choice haha!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Oh I see, its a travel away but sometimes gaining that independence is the best thing! And if you travel there frequently I don't see why they wouldn't want you to go to uni there!

You should go with you heart and with the university that suits you as a person as your the one going to be studying for the degree! I would say at nearly 18 your old enough to decide!

Yup it does sound like your parents are trying to control where you choose a little which is a shame because they should be confident that youll choose the right university for you! I'm 20 this year so my mam has no choice haha!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... It's so stressful, I'm currently getting the silent treatment and disapproving looks off them? I've not even had a 'Omg well done for getting an offer!' off either of them yet and I got my offer yesterday!!!
Original post by lorn.
Yeah... It's so stressful, I'm currently getting the silent treatment and disapproving looks off them? I've not even had a 'Omg well done for getting an offer!' off either of them yet and I got my offer yesterday!!!

I can imagine it was stressful for me today because I got a rejection this morning and that was when everyone was telling me to change and go for something I'd actually get on!

Then all of a sudden when I got my offer tonight they all changed around! Im sure they'll come around sooner or later they might just need time! But honestly don't go somewhere for them! Go somewhere for you!!

I'll say it!! - well done on your offer hun, its amazing that you've got a place! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I can imagine it was stressful for me today because I got a rejection this morning and that was when everyone was telling me to change and go for something I'd actually get on!

Then all of a sudden when I got my offer tonight they all changed around! Im sure they'll come around sooner or later they might just need time! But honestly don't go somewhere for them! Go somewhere for you!!

I'll say it!! - well done on your offer hun, its amazing that you've got a place! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw bless, well done for staying determined though it's all payed off! Hahaha OMG THANK YOU!
Original post by lorn.
Aw bless, well done for staying determined though it's all payed off! Hahaha OMG THANK YOU!

Thank you! It sure has after all the experience I had done and stuff I wasn't changing to please someone else! It's my live to life no one else! You don't need to thank me just promise that you'll choose the right on for you! And enjoy the next 3 years!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thank you! It sure has after all the experience I had done and stuff I wasn't changing to please someone else! It's my live to life no one else! You don't need to thank me just promise that you'll choose the right on for you! And enjoy the next 3 years!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw I promise! !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending