The Student Room Group

GAMSAT or UKCAT?

Hey i'm just wondering if i could get some advice. Im currently studying Radiography and I'm 2nd year, & going to be predicted a First. I want to go on and and study Medicine after my degree and I have been toying between whether to do the GAMSAT or the UKCAT.

Obviously the two exams require drastically different amounts of revision so this decision needs to be made up very soon. I am just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on whether, as a Radiography undergrad, doing the GAMSAT might be more beneficial from a competitive point of view. If I did the UKCAT, I would be in direct competition with school leavers and people doing Biomed/Biochem. My course isn't as academic as I only have biology modules (no chem/pharmocology/physiology), however I get a heap of clinical exposure in theatre/A&E and so on. I just feel I would be up against some stiff competition in UKCAT unis. But jeez, I don't wanna revise for 6 months for the GAMSAT if I don't have to.

Any suggestions?

Alex
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Why not both? Maximise your chances!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did think about doing both but I decided that studying for the GAMSAT, UKCAT and then doing well in my degree would be too much work. I would rather do well in one or the other rather than getting average marks in both! But thanks for the reply.
Reply 3
Original post by fervor44
I did think about doing both but I decided that studying for the GAMSAT, UKCAT and then doing well in my degree would be too much work. I would rather do well in one or the other rather than getting average marks in both! But thanks for the reply.

The UKCAT requires about 4 weeks work, any more and you will just run out of materials. You'll probably peak too early as well.

If you come from a science background then GAMSAT should just be revision for you, it is less about simply knowing facts and more about your interpretation and reasoning skills.

Sit the UKCAT in July and GAMSAT in Sept and it's all spaced out quite well. You just need to brush up on science knowledge until summer and then hit UKCAT hard for 2 to 4 weeks, then focus on GAMSAT for the following 2 months. Certainly doable, I know individuals who did well and planned it out far less.

Competition depends on the medical school and whether or not you're applying for graduate courses
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending