The Student Room Group

The conspiracy theory mindset - rethreaded

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by HigherMinion
I see. So you didn't want to actually ask anything serious about conspiracy theory

I do have serious questions. The question-in-chief is, "Why are conspiracy theorists so credulous? Why are they so resistant to logic?"

You wanted to debunk scepticism

If you believe your taking the Sandy Hook murderers' fake ID from his brother as evidence of a government conspiracy constitutes skepticism, then you don't understand the meaning of skepticism.

I'm out. Your decorum is atrocious.

Yet another word you of which you clearly don't understand the meaning.

I take it you are unable to actually respond to the substance of the points, like the fact that steel didn't have to melt in the World Trade Centre to cause the collapse. You will just go on believing jet fuel doesn't melt steel = gubmint conspiracy.

You are welcome to go if you are unwilling to respond when people challenge your unlettered conspiracy nonsense, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.
Original post by young_guns
I do have serious questions. The question-in-chief is, "Why are conspiracy theorists so credulous? Why are they so resistant to logic?"

This question can be answered at different levels. You have been given a high level answer

Looking for order in a chaotic world - rationalising horrible events that seemingly occur at random by constructing a singular, all powerful villain on which to lay the blame. It's basically a far simpler and, in some ways, comforting way of viewing the world.

However, if you drill down, the failure is not a failure of logic. It is a failure to balance evidence. Isolated pieces of evidence are regarded as determinative of truth or falsity rather than truth or falsity being determined by the cumulative weight of all evidence.

X must have happened or X cannot have happened because of ABC. To the conspiracy theorist there is no need to consider DEFGHIJKLMNO.

People who apply normal deductive reasoning consider all the evidence and then come up with an account that provides the best fit with all of that evidence.

You can see that with the conspiracy theories advanced in this thread.

What is very noticeable is that not one "classical" conspiracy theory ie a theory that an event was not due to the contemporaneous commonly accepted cause but instead to a group of actors who concealed their involvement and promoted the false account of events, has ever been demonstrated to be true. Where official explanations of events have been rejected those rejections have been the contemporaneous commonly held opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Captain Haddock
Looking for order in a chaotic world - rationalising horrible events that seemingly occur at random by constructing a singular, all powerful villain on which to lay the blame. It's basically a far simpler and, in some ways, comforting way of viewing the world.

They seem to be anything but comforted by it.

It's a strange one. They often claim to be fighting against the enemy - be it the state or whatever - yet paint their opponent as being of limitless evil and limitless cunning. It's all a bit hopeless.
So you didn't bother to research, instead you just decide to repeat it?

I'm sorry but that's idiotic. I've researched 7/7 extensively, I've never read anything about this bizarre claim that soldiers were "stationed" at the blast sites (you do realise the blasts occurred on the tube? That means an underground train), it makes no sense.

And what about the fact that the bombers were associated with Al-Qaeda, they recorded martyrdom videos which were released by Al-Qaeda after 9/11?

Has it occurred to you that if someone makes an outlandish claim, you should probably research it before repeating it, rather than credulously taking it at face value? Any sensible Londoner would intuitively know how stupid it is to claim the army was "stationed" on a particular underground train

I repeated it as an interesting observation made by someone else, I didn't say that I believed it :wink:
Like I said, it doesn't interest me enough to bother researching it. So I didn't. It's not me you need to "prove" this too, quite simply because I don't care about it :awesome:
I love the logic conspiracy theorists use all the time.

Anyone who refuses to accept certain conspiracy theories are sheeple. Say the conspiracy theorists who believe everything they read on the internet.

By far the worst sheeple are the conspiracy theorists themselves.
Reply 25
Crazies gonna crazy.

Chemtrails is one of my favorites, those cakes are particularly fruity. We did give Norwich a good spraying though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/series10/week9_aerial_spraying.shtml
(edited 9 years ago)
[video="youtube;4W85OnL4xtY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W85OnL4xtY[/video]

:h:
Hey folks,

There was a technical issue and the previous thread disappeared (not binned in moderation, the mods are not sure what happened to it). Here it is again

I'm interested to know what drives the conspiracy theory mindset, and why people are inclined to believe such nonsense? Are they credulous, even stupid? Or are there deeper psychological or cultural factors at play?

A few examples. One is the ridiculous claims about the Rothschild family. There is no doubt the Rothschild family, along with the Barings and Coutts families, exercised disproportionate power and influence in the 19th century. Before there were well-managed, state-owned/controlled central banks, these families acted as a kind of private International Monetary Fund, who often bailed out governments.

But by the mid-20th century, their power was had waned. The Bank of England was nationalised by the Labour Party in 1945 and assumed a much more active role in financial markets. The Austrian Rothschilds had their wealth stolen by their Nazis and didn't manage to get much back after the war. And the French Rothschilds' firm nationalised by the French state in the early 1980s. There's no doubt that they're a wealthy family, worth a few billion pounds. But beyond that, it's all just idle and baseless speculation unsupported by facts.

The 7/7 attack is another example. Conspiracy theorists tend to claim that these young men were actually working for the Security Services and thought they were taking part in a terrorism drill. This is fatuous, to say the least. Shehzad Tanweer and Mohamed Siddique Khan recorded videos explaining why they were going to be suicide bombers, and this video was released by Al-Qaeda shortly after the 7/7 bombings. This conspiracy would also require the existence of a cell within the Security Services who were undertaking these false flag operations, and who were completely unknown to anyone else working in the intelligence community.

Finally, there were bizarre claims that the Bali Bombings in 2002 (which many Brits tend to forget about, but 27 British citizens died in the attack, along with 88 Australians killed and a total of 202 killed overall) must have been an Israeli tactical nuke because the blast was so powerful, and that a potassium chlorate bomb (which was the blast material) was incapable of causing the kind of damage seen. With some very cursory research, I found out that the way the bomb was put together (2200lbs of chlorate in 12 plastic cabinets, with aluminum powder, TNT boosters linked with PETN detcord and RDX-electric detonators) actually caused a thermobaric effect, and the amount of explosive (equivalent to two Mk 84 bombs) was more than sufficient to cause the blast damage and burns caused.

Why do people believe this stuff? I've never met a well-educated, successful person who subscribes to this stuff; it always seems to be embittered, less educated people, often bigoted or highly religious. It's also strange to me that many Islamists manage to hold the two contradictory thoughts that they both support bombings/attacks on the West, but believe that when they do happen it must have been a CIA/MI6/Mossad conspiracy.

Most conspiracy theories fall apart with even cursory research, and the theorists appear to take any challenge to their account of events to be proof that you too are part of the conspiracy / a "government shill". Where there are inconsistencies or seeming mistakes in the government account of events, they don't take that to mean the government made a mistake, or was perhaps incompetent or even might be holding back information for self-serving reasons, they take it to mean the government must have been directly involved.

Conspiracy theories, and the general attitude of conspiracism, of overly-cynical attitudes to public service and our democratic system (including left-wing/Islamist conspiracism that asserts Western governments actions are driven by a desire to attack Islam or oppress the inhabitants of the Mid-East), is corrosive to the body politic, and these theories should be challenged.

Have you realised what the definition of a "conspiracy" even is?

It is anything that disagrees with the mainstream media.

Therefore people use the term "Conspiracy" as a derogatory concept is synonymous with the phrase "The mainstream media is my Lord and God."

Do you realise we live in a world where the President of the United States, President Obama is a Nobel Peace prize winner who authorised Federal forces to be able to kill any citizen in the continental United States with a drone strike which is even in violation of the constitution.

Do you realise that the new terrorists are people who disagree with the new Statist collectivist way of thinking and being dependent on the State?

Do you realise that you have been bombarded with so much false information that you are no longer even capable of critical thinking?

For example it's completely mad that World War II started by Germany making a claim on lands that it owned 20 years earlier with its own people living there and that was called wrong, and yet Israel was started by a kind of mythical claim (from potentially mythical books and without geographic references) from 2,000 years ago and this claim is considered legitimate.

I won't go into any of the things directly against your God, the mass-media (what you consider to be "Conspiracy") as I don't want to trigger a Pavlovian Classical Conditioning type reaction I.e. Make people salivate as opposed to think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Awful lot pointing to Israel's Mossad being behind 9/11 for to be considered a conspiracy?

Just dug this up but look at.

All this mess in the Middle East is being created by our governments.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous515
Awful lot pointing to Israel's Mossad being behind 9/11 for to be considered a conspiracy?

Just dug this up but look at.

All this mess in the Middle East is being created by our governments.

It's a knee jerk reaction you get from these people who react to Mossad 9/11 posts. They don't react as informed people having done any actual research or even considered the point. They act simply as people with a programmed knee jerk reaction.

Anything about the cause of wars, same I don't want to think about it, I'd rather be eating ice cream and debating whether we should transfer some of the national insurance burden to income tax of vice versa nonsense politics - yet they cannot state the cause of these wars.

They criticise people who have an opinion yet volunteer only silence and a programmed script.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Brinner405
X

Okay. Show me one piece of substantive evidence that clearly suggests Mossad is involved at all in 9/11.

Of course, you won't be able to. If anything, Israel tried to prevent the attacks by warning the US several times in the summer of 2001 (as other countries did) that there was an Al-Qaeda plot in the works and they expected it to be a big attack.

This is another aspect of conspiracy thinking; they are convinced that they are the clever ones, that only they know the truth and everyone else is stupid or naive. Of course, when you actually drill down into the details, their theory falls apart like a cheap suit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Anonymous515

There are certainly a lot of mentally ill people claiming that, but no; there is not a jot of actual evidence that supports the contention that 9/11 was carried out by Mossad.

If anything, the evidence points in the opposite direction; Israel warned the US government several times in the summer of 2001 that there was a big Al-Qaeda attack in the works.
Reply 32
Have you realised what the definition of a "conspiracy" even is?

It is anything that disagrees with the mainstream media.

Therefore people use the term "Conspiracy" as a derogatory concept

It's not "conspiracy", it's "conspiracy theory". There are real conspiracies because conspiracy is legal terminology and a criminal offence. Although it has fallen out of use in England & Wales, conspiracy is still regularly used as a charge in the US.

A conspiracy theory is an impausible and paranoid theory, unsupported by evidence or rational inquiry, that a secret cabal is behind particular events.

Do you realise we live in a world where the President of the United States, President Obama is a Nobel Peace prize winner who authorised Federal forces to be able to kill any citizen in the continental United States with a drone strike which is even in violation of the constitution.

Point taken. What does any of that have to do with proving 9/11 was carried out by Mossad / US government? Does any of that prove anything other than Barack Obama (like Bush before him) is really pushing the envelope of executive power?

Do you realise that the new terrorists are people who disagree with the new Statist collectivist way of thinking and being dependent on the State?

That's utterly idiotic. Show me a single person who has been added to the Disposition Matrix, or prosecuted under terrorism offences, merely for holding the (completely misapprehended and factually baseless) views you identified?

Do you realise that you have been bombarded with so much false information that you are no longer even capable of critical thinking?

:lol: This is hilarious. The only person obviously incapable of critical thinking here is you. You hold to beliefs like Mossad was responsible for 9/11 despite having literally not a jot of evidence that would support that proposition. You uncritically believe what you read on fantasist conspiracy theory websites; that is pretty much definitionally uncritical cognition.

and yet Israel was started by a kind of mythical claim (from potentially mythical books and without geographic references) from 2,000 years ago and this claim is considered legitimate.

What does that have to do with proving the conspiracy theories you're claiming? There are many arguments in the whole I/P debate, which is beyond the scope of this thread. I would draw your attention back to showing evidence that Mossad was involved in the 9/11 attacks.

I won't go into any of the things directly against your God, the mass-media (what you consider to be "Conspiracy") as I don't want to trigger a Pavlovian Classical Conditioning type reaction I.e. Make people salivate as opposed to think.

Oh dear, it's almost like you're holding up a mirror to yourself when you write those words. The only Pavlovian reaction here is the reaction you have been trained up to effect, by conspiracy websites, to bleat "sheeple" and the like whenever anyone challenges you on the complete lack of evidence to support your claims.

And undoubtedly you will now simply bleat more about conspiracy theories and sheeple and everyone else "not getting it", and completely avoid actually addressing the question of evidence.
Reply 33
There are certainly a lot of mentally ill people claiming that, but no; there is not a jot of actual evidence that supports the contention that 9/11 was carried out by Mossad.

If anything, the evidence points in the opposite direction; Israel warned the US government several times in the summer of 2001 that there was a big Al-Qaeda attack in the works.

Must have been awkward when all those Mossad agents ran to the cockpit and round a load of all qaeda guys there already. "come on guys we told you we we're doing this Tuesday, you had Thursday"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Aj12
Must have been awkward when all those Mossad agents ran to the cockpit and round a load of all qaeda guys there already. "come on guys we told you we we're doing this Tuesday, you had Thursday"

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: What's really irritating is that as soon as you point out these facts that punch a great big hole in their conspiracy theory, they either disappear, or throw up a smokescreen by bleating "sheeple" etc.

I thought it was hilarious that the commenter above accused us of lacking critical thinking skills; it's like being accused of slouching by the hunchback of Notre Dame

Therefore people use the term "Conspiracy" as a derogatory concept is synonymous with the phrase "The mainstream media is my Lord and God."

No, it means "that theory is incredibly stupid and has no real evidence to support it, therefore I reject it".

The vast majority of conspiracy theories I hear of are based on no real evidence, often relying on misquoted things, misrepresented evidence and sometimes outright lies.

Often they would be impossible to even pull off due to the scale of it - e.g. 9/11 being an inside job would require many people within the security and intelligence services to be in on it, which is just not possible to do without some information leaking out.
Its mostly psychological in my opinion. A combination of trying to create mental order from chaos and rationalize events.

If we look at the white genocide stuff then what they see is high immigration and low white birth rates but they can't understand why Labour and the Tories would take such a short term view of the economic benefits over Britain eventually becoming a black or Islamic country so in this sense its just trying to create a rational explanation out of the fact that politicians think short term. On top of that they need somebody to blame so look at a disproportionately influential group like the Jews and decide they are behind it.
Reply 37
Just use your common sense, if the Rothschilds and other Zionists had no power, how did they influence the West in creating the State of Israel for them? Why does the West continue to get invlolved in Middle Eastern wars for them and instead of fixing the issues, they intently try to make the situation more chaotic?

A global elite controlling us, that wants to destabalise the Middle East shouldn't even be discussion worthy, its happening right before our eyes. But I guess thats the power of propoganda and brainwashing.
Original post by Dracul
Just use your common sense, if the Rothschilds and other Zionists had no power, how did they influence the West in creating the State of Israel for them? Why does the West continue to get invlolved in Middle Eastern wars for them and instead of fixing the issues, they intently try to make the situation more chaotic?

A global elite controlling us, that wants to destabalise the Middle East shouldn't even be discussion worthy, its happening right before our eyes. But I guess thats the power of propoganda and brainwashing.

Maybe you so called right thinking people in this forum should offer up an explanation of the wars in the Middle East.

Posted from TSR Mobile

U.S. investigators and the controlled media have ignored a preponderance of evidence pointing to Israel's intelligence agency, the Mossad, being involved in the terror attacks of 9/11.

From the very morning aircraft smashed into the World Trade Center (WTC) and the Pentagon, news reports have indicated Israeli intelligence being involved in the events of 9/11 - and the planting of "false flags" to blame Arab terrorists and mold public opinion to support the pre-planned "war on terror."

Shortly after the destruction of the twin towers, radio news reports described five "Middle Eastern men" being arrested in New Jersey after having been seen videotaping and celebrating the explosive "collapses" of the WTC.

These men, from a phony moving company in Weehawken, N.J., turned out to be agents of Israeli military intelligence, Mossad. Furthermore, their "moving van" tested positive for explosives.

Dominic Suter, the Israeli owner of Urban Moving Systems, the phony "moving company," fled in haste, or was allowed to escape, to Israel before FBI agents could interrogate him. The Israeli agents were later returned to Israel on minor visa violations.

The Assistant Attorney General in charge of criminal investigations at the time was Michael Chertoff, the current head of the Dept. of Homeland Security. Chertoff, the son of the first hostess of Israel's national air carrier, El Al, is thought to be an Israeli national.

One of the Israeli agents later told Israeli radio that they had been sent to "document the event" - the event which took the lives of some 3,000 Americans.

Despite the fact that the Israelis arrested in New Jersey evidently had prior knowledge or were involved in the planning of 9/11, the U.S. mainstream media has never even broached the question of Israeli complicity in the attacks.

ISRAELIS FOREWARNED

On September 12, 2001, the Internet edition of The Jerusalem Post reported, "The Israeli foreign ministry has collected the names of 4,000 Israelis believed to have been in the areas of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon at the time of the attack."

Yet only one Israeli was killed at the WTC and two were reportedly killed on the "hijacked" aircraft.

Although a total of three Israeli lives were reportedly lost on 9/11, speechwriters for President George W. Bush grossly inflated the number of Israeli dead to 130 in the president's address to a joint session of Congress on September 20, 2001.

The fact that only one Israeli died at the WTC, while 4,000 Israelis were thought to have been at the scene of the attacks on 9/11 naturally led to a widespread rumor, blamed on Arabic sources, that Israelis had been forewarned to stay away that day.

"Whether this story was the origin of the rumor," Bret Stephens, the Post's editor-in-chief wrote in 2003, "I cannot say. What I can say is that there was no mistake in our reporting."

ODIGO INSTANT MESSAGES

Evidence that Israelis had been forewarned several hours before the attacks surfaced at an Israeli instant messaging service, known as Odigo. This story, clear evidence of Israeli prior knowledge, was reported only briefly in the U.S. media - and quickly forgotten.

At least two Israel-based employees of Odigo received warnings of an imminent attack in New York City more than two hours before the first plane hit the WTC. Odigo had its U.S. headquarters two blocks from the WTC. The Odigo employees, however, did not pass the warning on to the authorities in New York City, a move that could have saved thousands of lives.

Odigo has a feature called People Finder that allows users to seek out and contact others based on certain demographics, such as Israeli nationality.

Two weeks after 9/11, Alex Diamandis, Odigo's vice president, reportedly said, "It was possible that the attack warning was broadcast to other Odigo members, but the company has not received reports of other recipients of the message."

he Internet address of the sender was given to the FBI, and two months later it was reported that the FBI was still investigating the matter. There have been no media reports since.

Odigo, like many Israeli software companies, is based and has its Research and Development (R&D) center in Herzliya, Israel, the small town north of Tel Aviv, which happens to be where Mossad's headquarters are located.

Shortly after 9/11, Odigo was taken over by Comverse Technology, another Israeli company. Within a year, five executives from Comverse were reported to have profited by more than $267 million from "insider trading."

Through Israeli "venture capital" (VC) investment funds, Mossad spawns and sponsors scores of software companies currently doing business in the United States. These Israel-based companies are sponsored by Mossad funding sources such as Cedar Fund, Stage One Ventures, Veritas Venture Partners, and others.

As one might expect, the portfolios of these Mossad-linked funding companies contain only Israeli-based companies, such as Odigo.

Reading through the strikingly similar websites of these Israeli "VC" funds and their portfolio companies, one can't help but notice that the key "team" players share a common profile and are often former members of "Israel's Intelligence Corps" and veterans of the R&D Department of the Israel Air Force or another branch of the military. Most are graduates of Israel's "Technion" school in Haifa, Mossad's Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) in Herzliya, or a military program for software development.

The IDC, a private, non-profit university, is closely tied to the Mossad. The IDC has a "research institute" headed by Shabtai Shavit, former head of the Mossad from 1989 to 1996, called the International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism.

The IDC also has a "Marc Rich Center for the Study of Commodities, Trading and Financial Markets" and a "Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy." The cosmetics magnate Ronald S. Lauder, who is a supporter of Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and his far-right Likud Party, founded the Lauder school.

Lauder, president of the Jewish National Fund and former chairman of New York Governor George Pataki's Commission on Privatization, is the key individual who pushed the privatization of the WTC and former Stewart AFB, where the flight paths of the two planes that hit the twin towers oddly converged. Ronald Lauder played a significant, albeit unreported, role in the preparation for 9/11.

Pataki's wife, Libby, has been on Lauder's payroll since at least 2002 and reportedly earned $100,000 as a consultant in 2004. According to The Village Voice, between 1994 and 1998, Gov. Pataki earned some $70,000 for speaking to groups affiliated with Lauder.

THE PTECH CUTOUT

Ptech, a mysterious software company has been tied with the events of 9/11. The Quincy, Massachusetts-based company was supposedly connected to "the Muslim Brotherhood" and Arab financiers of terrorism.

The firm's suspected links with terrorism resulted in a consensual examination by the FBI in December 2002, which was immediately leaked to the media. The media reports of the FBI "raid" on Ptech soon led to the demise of the company.

Ptech "produced software that derived from PROMIS, had an artificial intelligence core, and was installed on virtually every computer system of the U.S. government and its military agencies on September 11, 2001," according to Michael Ruppert's From the Wilderness (FTW) website.

"This included the White House, Treasury Dept. (Secret Service), Air Force, FAA, CIA, FBI, both houses of Congress, Navy, Dept. of Energy, IRS, Booz Allen Hamilton, IBM, Enron and more," FTW reported.

"Whoever plotted 9/11 definitely viewed the FAA as the enemy that morning. Overriding FAA systems would be the most effective way to ensure the attacks were successful," FTW reported. "To do this, the FAA needed an evolution of PROMIS software installed on their systems and Ptech was just that; the White House and Secret Service had the same software on their systems - likely a superior modified version capable of 'surveillance and intervention' systems."

But did the U.S. government unwittingly load software capable of "surveillance and intervention" operations and produced by a company linked to terrorism onto its most sensitive computer networks, or was Ptech simply a Mossad "cutout" company?

Oussama Ziade, a Lebanese Muslim immigrant who came to the U.S. in 1985, founded Ptech in 1994. But the company's original manager of marketing and information systems was Michael S. Goff, whose PR firm, Goff Communications, currently represents Guardium, a Mossad-linked software company.

And Goff comes from a well-to-do line of Jewish Masons who have belonged to Worcester's Commonwealth Lodge 600 of B'nai Brith for decades. So, why would a recently graduated Juris Doctor in Law leave a promising law career to join forces with a Lebanese Muslim's upstart company sponsored with dodgy funders in Saudi Arabia?

"As information systems manager [for Ptech], Michael handled design, deployment and management of its Windows and Macintosh, data, and voice networks," Goff's website says. "Michael also performed employee training and handled all procurement for software, systems and peripherals."

AFP asked Goff, who left the Worcester law firm of Seder & Chandler in 1994, how he wound up working at Ptech. "Through a temp agency," Goff said. Asked for the name of the agency, Goff said he could not remember.

Could it be Mossad Temps, or maybe Sayan Placement Agency?

Goff, the original marketing manager for Ptech software, said he did not know who had written the code that Ptech sold to many government agencies. Is this believable?

Goff leaves a legal practice in his home town to take a job, through a temp agency, with a Lebanese Muslim immigrant who is selling software, and he doesn't know who even wrote the code?

AFP contacted the government agencies that reportedly have Ptech software on their computers, and IBM, to ask if they could identify who had written the source code of the Ptech software.

By press time, only Lt. Commander Ron Steiner of the U.S. Navy's Naval Network Warfare Command had responded. Steiner said he had checked with an analyst and been told that none of the Ptech software has been approved for the Navy's enterprise networks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending