The Student Room Group

A level subject help

So recently I had to choose my A-level subjects, and I chose:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

My strongest subject at GCSE is maths. My teacher is predicting me full marks in my maths GCSE exam (in the past 2 mocks I've had, I got 99% and 100%). So since I'm good at maths, I chose maths and further maths.

However, I don't really know what I want to do at uni/career. I'm interested in maths and economics, but not really in physics. I'm just doing it in case I decide to do engineering in the future. With these subjects, do I have a wide range of subjects I can do at uni?
Original post by Haamoo7
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

My strongest subject at GCSE is maths. My teacher is predicting me full marks in my maths GCSE exam (in the past 2 mocks I've had, I got 99% and 100%). So since I'm good at maths, I chose maths and further maths.

However, I don't really know what I want to do at uni/career. I'm interested in maths and economics, but not really in physics. I'm just doing it in case I decide to do engineering in the future. With these subjects, do I have a wide range of subjects I can do at uni?

Hi!
I completely understand where your coming from and even though I'm not a big maths fan myself, I think that its a good subject to take for the future. If you still don't know what you want to do when you go to university, maybe study maths. It gives you a broad range of things to do such as maths teaching, engineering,computing, accounting, banking etc. To do maths at university, its best to A-Level Further Maths as well. So I think Maths and Further Maths are good Choices.

Physics, however, maybe the wrong choice. You say that you want to do Physics incase you want to go into engineering? Right? No. If you don't like physics is highly unlikely your going to like engineering, so therefore I would avoid doing that for this purpose.

Economics is a good choice but doesn't open up a lot of options, Keep it, as you like it, but instead of physics, do something a bit different to keep your options open. Possibly English Lit, a language, History or Geography or even an arts subject such as Art, Music, Drama or Media. Not only will this subject open up door just incase you find that you hate A-Level maths, but it will also show universities that your a well rounded student, who has interest in lots of different things, besides maths.

Popular courses for people taking A-Level Maths include - Actuarial Science, Accountancy, Business Studies, Computer Science, Economics, Financial Services, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Statistics

p.s, you don't need physics for MOST engineering courses. Many just require maths and another science subjects (further maths would count). Heres what exeter says:

GCE AL Maths grade B and another science subject at grade B; IB Maths HL5 and another science subject HL5
Candidates may offer GCE AL Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths.

Hope this helped
Louis

Reply 2
Original post by LuiEmmitt
Hi!
I completely understand where your coming from and even though I'm not a big maths fan myself, I think that its a good subject to take for the future. If you still don't know what you want to do when you go to university, maybe study maths. It gives you a broad range of things to do such as maths teaching, engineering,computing, accounting, banking etc. To do maths at university, its best to A-Level Further Maths as well. So I think Maths and Further Maths are good Choices.

Physics, however, maybe the wrong choice. You say that you want to do Physics incase you want to go into engineering? Right? No. If you don't like physics is highly unlikely your going to like engineering, so therefore I would avoid doing that for this purpose.

Economics is a good choice but doesn't open up a lot of options, Keep it, as you like it, but instead of physics, do something a bit different to keep your options open. Possibly English Lit, a language, History or Geography or even an arts subject such as Art, Music, Drama or Media. Not only will this subject open up door just incase you find that you hate A-Level maths, but it will also show universities that your a well rounded student, who has interest in lots of different things, besides maths.

Popular courses for people taking A-Level Maths include - Actuarial Science, Accountancy, Business Studies, Computer Science, Economics, Financial Services, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Statistics

p.s, you don't need physics for MOST engineering courses. Many just require maths and another science subjects (further maths would count). Heres what exeter says:

GCE AL Maths grade B and another science subject at grade B; IB Maths HL5 and another science subject HL5
Candidates may offer GCE AL Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths.

Hope this helped
Louis

O okay. Thanks. Just wondering, if I did the 4 subjects that I stated, would I be at a disadvantage in any way? None of the subjects that I mentioned are a humanities subject. The subjects that are most appealing to me (for uni) at the moment are accountancy/finance/banking and computer science.

Oh, and I checked your account. You go to Bayside School? The one in Gibraltar? My brother used to go there for a few years.
Original post by Haamoo7
O okay. Thanks. Just wondering, if I did the 4 subjects that I stated, would I be at a disadvantage in any way? None of the subjects that I mentioned are a humanities subject. The subjects that are most appealing to me (for uni) at the moment are accountancy/finance/banking and computer science.

Oh, and I checked your account. You go to Bayside School? The one in Gibraltar? My brother used to go there for a few years.

Yes I do go to bayside in gibraltar.

You would not be in anyway at a disadvantage and you would still have a wide range of courses open to you.

Louis.
Reply 4
Original post by Haamoo7
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

There's a fairly wide range, for example anything science or technology based mostly looks at maths and especially further maths at the top unis. Just an example, I've had offers from King's College London, Nottingham University, Queen Mary and Kent to study Computer Science, all offers based on Maths/Further Maths ALONE. Now CompSci does of course involve maths, but there isn't really a direct link, and there's many other courses that would do the same, you're at no disadvantage, these are VERY strong A Levels, especially if you achieve top grades, you would receive offers from anywhere with those subjects, for courses ranging from engineering, CompSci and simply maths if you choose to go that path of course.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest