The Student Room Group

Selecting a level subjects

My daughter wants to do bachelor in interior design which a level subjects should she choose to support her decision.
Reply 1
I am not going into interior design myself but I took A-level Product Design (Design and Technology) and this would be a great aid going into interior design. The subject does focus on production and making of products, but there's large amounts of flexibility in what you make. 50% of the A-level is course work and you can make any product. I focused on furniture during my GCSE and A-level, which is crucial to interior design. Therefore, I think it would be helpful in aiding your daughter in understanding the products she may interact with when designing and it will give her a perfect opportunity to practice designing and making. Its a very creative and practical subject and I have really enjoyed it.

Alongside this I can imagine Art would be helpful due to its creativity, although not as design focused like Product Design, it would look good and she could focus her projects around interior design as there is a lot of of flexibility at A-level.

Maths would also be helpful as it is unavoidable in design, there will always be aspects of maths in your work, However, if she is not good at maths or doesn't enjoy maths I would not push her to do this as it is very tricky and would become very stressful very fast. Instead she could take core maths which is half an A-level and only one year (year 12).

I would recommend you start looking at different unis and what their entry requirements are as they will list any subjects that the require students to have studied at A-level.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation. This truly helped a lot. I’ll have her look into design and technology and also arts. The final decision would be of course hers to make. I really appreciate this amazing information. ^_^
Reply 3
Original post by Annanoor
My daughter wants to do bachelor in interior design which a level subjects should she choose to support her decision.

Subjects she enjoys and is reasonably good at!

It might be worth having a look at the entry requirements of different universities offering an interior design course it looks like some want art and design (or similar) at A level, and some don't seem to need any specific subjects.
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=interior%20design&studyYear=2024&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None
Also best to double check on the actual university websites :smile:
Reply 4
Understood. The link you shared is so helpful thank you so much for that. Also i think u helped us both make a decision. She’ll be taking arts and design thanks to your help. I appreciate it. ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest