The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Has happened several times to me (twice very recently). When i was little i got winded in a park and passed out. Woke up surrounded by people and someone who was apparently a nurse checking pulse etc. Apparently i'd be fitting.. was rather scarey. Asked if i had epilpsy etc.

Whenever i get winded like get knocked in a club or something accidentally i find it REALLY hard to breath and usually end up passing out just cause i cant breath. Wake up being picked up by my mates, but am usually find after a min or so.

I have also passed out when getting a blood test + peirced, i hate needles! but weird thing was, both times it happened AFTER they had actually finished, very weird.

I've just got so used to it now it dosent seem that weird when i wake up... Sometimes i even have dreams :biggrin:
Reply 61
To the people asking what its like etc, try it yourself!

Hyperentilate for 1 minutes (breath in and out really quickly). Then take a deep breath and hold it in while getting someone to push on your chest. Works a treat. Just make sure people are there to catch you. Your out for about 10 seconds and then wake up. Usually you'll have min dreams or be vagualy aware of your surroundings (still hearing people but unable to move/see etc).
I remember about... probably 12 years ago now, there was a fainting craze at my middle school. Basically people were turning each other round in circles, and then I think what happened was they crossed their arms over their chest and had their solar plexus pressed in. Something like that, anyway. It supposedly made you faint.

I tried it and it didn't work on me, but everybody was doing it.
Reply 63
I think for me it is mostly psychological (e.g. with needles etc - I don't faint every time I have an injection for example) but it can be caused by physical things as well, such as fainting from overheating (I've nearly passed out on more than one occasion after showering).
Reply 64
I nearly fainted this morning. I had really bad cramps at about 2 in the morning, so I went downstairs to get some paracetemol but about halfway to the kitchen my eyesight went and all I could hear was a really loud high pitched sound. So I took one paracetemol and took another one with me because I was so disorientated I was scared I might overdose by accident. At this point I couldn't see or hear anything and had a fever and all I knew was that I wasn't allowed to faint because nobody knew I was even up, so I crawled upstairs, hit my head on a wardrobe, and switched my parents light on. Then they called NHS direct and I got very annoyed with a nurse who kept asking me the same questions over and over again. And we all lived happily ever after.

I think it was period pains giving me low blood pressure that caused it. Not sure how that would work, but still. Get the day off work, so it's not all bad.

Short answer: no, but I think I came quite close.
I've fainted twice...both times were scary but quite humourous [well, at least to everyone who I told about it afterwards].

The first time was a couple of years ago in Woolworths. I was Christmas shopping with a couple of friends and I hadn't eaten all morning so I was really hungry. Our Woolworths has a cafe upstairs, so we decided to get some late lunch and just as I was queuing up with my shephards pie, I got really dizzy, hot, my vision blacked over and next thing I knew I was lying on the floor with someone yelling "SHE'S FAINTED!" and my arm was covered in pie as I had pulled it down with me apparently! Was really scary at the time, but my friends had a good time mocking me for fainting into a pie.

The second time was last year and wasn't as funny. I was in Disney World in the middle of the summer, boiling hot and I was queuing up [again] to order some food. It was really busy and I was standing there for about 45 minutes, hungry, which wasn't good. Anyway, I got the same dizzy feeling again and knew that I needed to sit down, but as it was so busy I couldn't get out, so I just kind of collapsed on my Mum's shoulder and I had to be dragged out and put under a fan. This time I cried because it actually did scare the hell out of me.

I often get the feeling that I'm going to faint, but now I've learnt to control it. I always take a bottle of water when I go anywhere now and always have a cereal bar or a snack with me to raise my energy levels if I forget to eat. And if I do feel dizzy I don't just ignore it, I sit down and put my head between my legs, which does work wonders :smile:
2 lucy
Really. That is bad. I would have fainted. lol.

Would have rather seen that, than spend a day in hospital.. horrible

Here's the info:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=318761
I once fainted at a gig. I started to feel a bit bad so walked towards the back of the hall, and the next thing I remember was being carried over someone's shoulder in the corridoor.

I've blacked out several times though. Once in a piano lesson I was halfway through playing something, the page went really blurry and I couldn't see anything, I came out in a cold sweat and had to lie down. Similar things had happened before, and I'm fairly prone to getting head rush when I stand up as well.
Reply 68
Fainted twice - was observing a hip operation and passed out in the corner of the room. SO EMARRASSING!! the aneasthitist saw me going and ran to catch me. it was really weird when i woke up because all the doctors who had been operating were around me but the oddest thing was that i couldnt speak for about 10 minutes haha
the other time i was having a blood test and my veins are aparently really rubbish and deep so they were wiggling the needle in my arm and it was so painful i looked down and passed out. woke up and they had to try and do it again!
Reply 69
ive fainted 4 times that i can remember :p: the annoying thing is that i know im going to faint 10-15 seconds before i actually faint but there is nothing i can do to stop it :mad:
I've only ever fainted once.. nearly fainted another twice but I sat down in time.. well it was the morning before 2 weeks of GCSE exams everyday *sigh* great timing. I don't know why, I think it was a combination of things.. I was hot, tired, probably a bit dehydrated, stressed out about exams and also something else that had a big emotional effect had just happened.. omg and apparently I didn't close my eyes!!! aaah scary to look at! haha. am I just wierd or has this happened to anyone else?
I've heard it can be from the things people have mentioned.. and like, low blood sugar, shock and heat are the most common.
xPunkx
I've only ever fainted once.. nearly fainted another twice but I sat down in time.. well it was the morning before 2 weeks of GCSE exams everyday *sigh* great timing. I don't know why, I think it was a combination of things.. I was hot, tired, probably a bit dehydrated, stressed out about exams and also something else that had a big emotional effect had just happened.. omg and apparently I didn't close my eyes!!! aaah scary to look at! haha. am I just wierd or has this happened to anyone else?
I've heard it can be from the things people have mentioned.. and like, low blood sugar, shock and heat are the most common.

i dont know about fainting with your eyes open, but someone i know was asleep with their eyes open!! it was on a minbus coming back from a trip and everyone was looking at her cos it was really odd!
I once fainted during a choir practise; this was about four days before we went away on tour. I can just remember singing, and then the singing stopped - but I didn't know why. I opened my eyes, blinked, and I was lying on the floor with everybody around me.
I was also given a jumper to put on my cut - but I had no idea where it was! I ended up putting it on my ear, only to later find that the cut was on my chin.

You could also see my skull because of the chin-cut =]

That was a surreal experience.
Anonymous
Hi, glad it doesn't bother you much you must be really strong as its whether you can cope that matters I suppose :smile: I probably sound pathetic to you and others who don't faint lol but its caused anxiety for years.

I have had bp, blood sugar checked several times after fainting and they appeared normal. Ive also had a full blood count which came back good so im wondering why the hell some people faint and others don't.

Absolutely not, you don't sound pathetic at all! It's natural to be worried about it, all I can suggest however is having a chat with your doctor and letting them know how you feel.
Reply 74
You would think you would learn, but as your a naturally anxious person you will most the time choose to think the worst when you feel anxious, but just try and tell yourself about the times you aint fainted, and youll find it helps.

Anonymous
Thanks for the help, you sure your not a doctor you sound really knowledgable.

Anytime and no im not a doctor :p: just knowledgable with psychology, anxiety disorders and mainly them sort of things.
Welcome to PM me anytime if you want to aswell, i promise to keep your name Anon to everyone else
I fainted once in junior school, never done it since, have felt like it many times though, was really dehydrated at an Oasis gig after drinking too much and the crowd body heat was taking its toll e.t.c. and had no food, also at another gig I went to but managed to pull through although at the latter, my vision actually went purple, really thought I was going then
Reply 76
I've fainted about 3 times ever. Last time was really recent, I was ill and went weighttraining just pushed it too hard i guess. It would be easy to dwell on that kind of thing but it's just something that happens sometimes and thinking about it loads will only make it much worse.
Getting really panicky about it is a psychological problem sometimes not a medical one which in my opinion makes it harder and more frustrating because it feels out of control sometimes
I'v fainted twice, once when I was at work as a reaction to pennicillin before they realised I was really allergic!

And the other time was when I was having a blood test, and I have amazing unfindable veins, so they had to try my other arm, and when they put it in, I slowly blacked out and was like I don't feel so good, the next thing I know I'm coming round and my body is shaking uncontrollably, I honestly thought I was having a fit, and the nurse was like, calm down it's ok, and I had to lie on the floor for ages (although I was already on the floor as I'd worked my way off the chair while I was out) then I had to wait in the waiting room until I felt completely better, but as soon as I started walking home with my sister who had come with me, I felt really sick and ended up throwing up. I couldn't really do anything for the rest of the day! And after all that I had to go back the next week for another blood test as they hadn't been able to get enough blood out of me before I fainted! Was honestly, the worst experience of my life!...although I'm completely fine with giving blood?!
Reply 78
Yeh I've fainted quite a few times.

My mum used to faint when she was younger so maybe its hereditary, also I have low blood pressure so that can contribute to it.

I went to the Drs about it over the summer but she refused to acknowledge anything apart from anxiety, now maybe that adds to it sometimes but the majority of times I've fainted have been completely random, no reason for anxiety. Silly woman.
Then I joined a gym and they did my health check and I got told I had low blood pressure and asked if I ever felt light headed or faint!

So guess I was right!
Reply 79
ive "blacked out" a few times (ie havent been able to see), happened once actually in the reception of my doctors surgery :redface: no ones ever seen a doctor faster through the NHS, let alone 2 at the same time! lol, apparently its cos of blood pressure, going from cold to hot or something.

only actually fainted once, nd only for a few seconds, i was giving blood in a church :redface: seriously, you cant imagine how terrifying it is to wake up surrounded by people on hospital beds, more people in white coats walking around and looking down at you, surgical curtains, blood bags, and a church roof above you - i thought id survived a bombing or something!!! Took three people to hold me down until i remembered where the hell i was, lol bp again :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending