The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Prosection are specimens dissected for you by 'professionals', so you can see what you are looking for, rather than cutting through it :wink: So basically, exactly what the above says!
Reply 21
basicy u dont get to do it urself...now where's the fun in that?lol
Reply 22
Fluffy
Prosection are specimens dissected for you by 'professionals', so you can see what you are looking for, rather than cutting through it :wink: So basically, exactly what the above says!

In the entire two years of dissection i don't think that I ever cut through something I wasn't meant to :tongue:. It isn't like we are just left there with some notes we do have a demonstrator who helps us.
Reply 23
I'm sure you don't cut as well as somneone with 30 years of experience though :wink:
Reply 24
cazle
basicy u dont get to do it urself...now where's the fun in that?lol

You're supposed to don your gloves and delve in - feel things, note associations etc
Reply 25
Fluffy

thx:smile:
Reply 26
Fluffy
I'm sure you don't cut as well as somneone with 30 years of experience though :wink:

True but I feel that by exploring and trying to find the structures myself I learnt alot :biggrin:

I think that at the end of the day it is all down to personal perference. Personally I found it harder to remeber the aspects of the course that we learnt doing prosection that those that we did doing disection but could just be because I was used to disection.
Reply 27
Cardiff definitely does.
When I went on the open day we had to go and visit the dissection lab and see the professors and students dissection.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. :smile:
Reply 28
randdom
True but I feel that by exploring and trying to find the structures myself I learnt alot :biggrin:

I think that at the end of the day it is all down to personal perference. Personally I found it harder to remeber the aspects of the course that we learnt doing prosection that those that we did doing disection but could just be because I was used to disection.

By donnuing my gloves and delving in, I learnt a lot. What way is better? I suggest neither - it is the presence of an active process, that requires you to actually engage your brain that makes things stick. The 'down side' to prosection is that lazy arses who can't be bothered get the same experience as those who do no anatomy at all...
Reply 29
randdom

Yes, definitely...

We were 'talked through' different parts of the brain today and i hardly learnt anything because it all looked the same...
Reply 30
you were right, lol! Dissection is soo boring now! Cant be bothered to stand for two hours!
Reply 31
Fluffy

We kind of do both at Cardiff!
According to the rota, we have turns dissecting, helping the dissector-by reading the manual (read: chat about random stuff) and then have a look at prosections, radiographs etc.
This way, you have the not-as-good 'specimens' and the brilliant ones too. What more could you want?!:biggrin:

randdom, I know exactly what you mean. I too find dissection an amazing learning tool! :smile:
Cardiff do full body dissection in the first year i believe, southampton definately do prosection
Sheffield do
Reply 34
Phantom Phoenix
people from our course are famed for knowing sod-all in terms of anatomy. Hmm...that was encouraging. :p:

likewise on our course - apparently until a couple of years ago, anatomy classes were optional (!). i think it's meant to have improved now though - we get structured worksheets every week with everything we're expected to know on them.
edinburgh's prosection, and we don't do a massive amount in first year (3 sessions this semester, we get a bit more after christmas). Prosection has been really good so far in helping me to remember things, you can cover so much more in a 2 hour session if all the hard work's done for you :wink: Plus, it's not as if you can't learn by taking things out and holding them, I'm perfectly happy with prosection. Dissection just seems as if it would take much more time out of my already hectic schedule.
A lot of places use histology now, more than the traditional cadaver dissection. Or even computer sims. I think that's really stupid
Reply 37
Democracy
A lot of places use histology now, more than the traditional cadaver dissection. Or even computer sims. I think that's really stupid

Histology is important too though, I don't understand how it would be particually useful for learning anatomy though?
randdom
Histology is important too though, I don't understand how it would be particually useful for learning anatomy though?

Yeah true, but computer sims? That's just disturbing to learn your doctor has never actually had practice cutting someone before
Reply 39
we do histology too - but thats mainly about cells and tissues under the microscope than anatomy.

Latest

Trending

Trending