The Student Room Group

should I push for the higher paper or perfect foundation?

Hi guys, I'm an adult learner currently retaking my Maths GCSE in order to apply for a PGCE in Physical Education (need and A-C grade). I have the Mathswatch CD & my revision is coming along nicely, I have sat 2 previous foundation papers this week scoring between 80-90% in both would you recommenced just perfecting the foundation paper or pushing for the higher at this point, as I still have 2 3/4 months until my exam on the 2nd June. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bradford_Boy
Hi guys, I'm an adult learner currently retaking my Maths GCSE in order to apply for a PGCE in Physical Education (need and A-C grade). I have the Mathswatch CD & my revision is coming along nicely, I have sat 2 previous foundation papers this week scoring between 80-90% in both would you recommenced just perfecting the foundation paper or pushing for the higher at this point, as I still have 2 3/4 months until my exam on the 2nd June. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A B is always better than a C

So the higher is worth a shot ... Try a higher ... If you are getting 40% or better definitely go for it
Original post by TenOfThem
A B is always better than a C

So the higher is worth a shot ... Try a higher ... If you are getting 40% or better definitely go for it

Thanks for your advice Ten, I haven't yet revised any grade B material yet, so I very much doubt I will be around 40% if I sat a higher paper now. Will probably have a look at some grade B material this week then, and aim to sit a higher paper at some point next week, see how I get on.

Thanks,

I think it is best to aim high thus go for the higher, but before doing so try to perfect on your foundation paper.

Also since you said you have been scoring 80-90%, which i believe is a C then go for it because it is easier to pass on the higher(you need like 30%) eventhough the questions are quite demanding.

Anyway the ultimate decision is yours but i pesonally think that the foundation paper limits the opportunity for a higher grade than a C.
Original post by German123
I think it is best to aim high thus go for the higher, but before doing so try to perfect on your foundation paper.

Also since you said you have been scoring 80-90%, which i believe is a C then go for it because it is easier to pass on the higher(you need like 30%) eventhough the questions are quite demanding.

Anyway the ultimate decision is yours but i pesonally think that the foundation paper limits the opportunity for a higher grade than a C.

Thanks for your advice & reply German. I have heard from other sources also that a C is easier to attain on the higher paper than the foundation, seems strange? Can anyone else confirm this? Cheers
Thanks for your advice & reply German. I have heard from other sources also that a C is easier to attain on the higher paper than the foundation, seems strange? Can anyone else confirm this? Cheers

No prob.

This is strange but somehow works. I did the higher paper and passed so you can pass too since you have been doing well on the foundation paper.

As long as you understand the basics and a little bit over you should be fine.

Out of interest, what is the exam board you will be using?

Good luck in advance.:smile:
No prob.

This is strange but somehow works. I did the higher paper and passed so you can pass too since you have been doing well on the foundation paper.

As long as you understand the basics and a little bit over you should be fine.

Out of interest, what is the exam board you will be using?

Good luck in advance.:smile:

Cheers German, congrats on your pass :smile:. Just been looking over the Grade B stuff on MathsWatch (such a good study resource) & I would say that I understand the number & stats/probability content, the Algebra & Geometry look like a bigger jump, but I suppose I have 2 months to square that away. I am taking the exam through AQA.
why put a limit on your potential?
Cheers German, congrats on your pass :smile:. Just been looking over the Grade B stuff on MathsWatch (such a good study resource) & I would say that I understand the number & stats/probability content, the Algebra & Geometry look like a bigger jump, but I suppose I have 2 months to square that away. I am taking the exam through AQA.

Thanks. It's like everyone has been congratulating me for passing maths, like its just maths, its not rocket science.

Btw my exam board was Edexcel but its ok since there are not any major differences betwwen Aqa and Edexcel.

Anyway if you need any help you could post your questions on here and i am sure people on
here(even me if i remember stuff) could try an help you.

Good luck in advance and remember that with hard work there is no obstacle. :smile:
Original post by ChickenMadness
why put a limit on your potential?

Thanks chicken. Think I just got a little complacent with the foundation material knowing that I only need the C grade for a PGCE, but as you say: "why limit yourself"? Doesn't make any sense to settle for a C when I have almost 3 months to push for a B grade. Plus if your working in University admissions & you have a close call on your hands between 2 PGCE applicants one has a C & the other a B, guess who's getting an interview? I'll push myself and post questions on here if I have any problems, Thanks
Good luck in advance and remember that with hard work there is no obstacle. :smile:

Very true German. Although sometimes it does feels like rocket science to me :wink:
Go for higher, on foundation is it harder to achieve a C as you'll need around 70% and on higher its only about 50% and you could even go up to an A or A* :P. I would personally go for higher, push myself and it should help in the long run
Original post by Beast™
Go for higher, on foundation is it harder to achieve a C as you'll need around 70% and on higher its only about 50% and you could even go up to an A or A* :P. I would personally go for higher, push myself and it should help in the long run

A C on Higher will be much closer to 30% than 50%.
Original post by Mr M
A C on Higher will be much closer to 30% than 50%.

Thanks Mr M, just looked this up & would appear that a C grade on the higher is around 30%

Very true German. Although sometimes it does feels like rocket science to me :wink:
Haahha, i have felt like this before but i have practised which made things better for me.

:smile:

Haahha, i have felt like this before but i have practised which made things better for me.

Any study materials you recommend for the higher paper which really helped you?

Cheers

Cheers
Sure i will send you the link(s):smile:

Cheers

https://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/gcse-maths-takeaway/

Cheers

https://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/gcse-maths-takeaway/

Wow, are all these questions from past papers?

Wow, are all these questions from past papers?
Yes, of each topic individually.

Quick Reply

Latest