The Student Room Group

What happens if you sit the wrong tier paper?

Completely hypothetical, just doing random thinking instead of revising. If you were a foundation Spanish student, and your teacher accidentally did the higher speaking questions with you, and you accidentally got given the higher reading and writing exams with you, and you accidentally went into the wrong listening exam and did the higher paper, and you got like a grade 9 on all somehow. Would you just get a 9? Obviously the examiners marking wouldn't know you weren't supposed to be higher, but your school would so when they got your grade and it was a 9 even though you should be foundation, what would they do? Would they give you a 9 on higher, or think it was a mistake and give you a 5 on foundation, or send it back to be remarked or what?
Depends on the exam board I think, but generally you have to apply for special consideration for the exam you 'missed' but that's mostly admin so I'd expect your school to do that for you? Not sure. You'd also have to sit every exam in the same tier (e.g. all your papers would have to be Higher - you'd have to retake any previous Foundation exams, or vice versa if most were Foundation). That said, for the most part, as far as I understand it, I'm pretty sure you do get the marks you achieve in the exams you do. If somehow you get a 9 when you were only meant to be doing a Foundation paper then there's no reason you shouldn't be awarded that. If you want to look specifically at your exam board, I'd check their special consideration guidelines because that'll usually have the details in, as well as any other reasons you might not 'sit' the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest