The Student Room Group

AQA Physics: PHYA1 Tuesday 19th May 2015 (AM) and PHYA2 Thursday 04th June 2015 (PM)x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MysteriousKnight
Hi Guys!
Guys I got a few question with the January 2013 paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-QP-JAN13.PDF <- Paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-MS-JAN13.PDF <- Mark scheme

Can someone explain 4Aiii) Where do they get the 1.63 x 10^-19 in the MS ... it seems as if I'm missing something quite simple out but can't figure out what :/

6B) the table ... How did they get 2V for C-D

For 4a)iii) The kinetic energy after the collision is equal to the kinetic energy before - the kinetic energy it transfers to excite the electron.
Original post by joshohill
Haven't got time to do 6B with you right now but you are right about 4aiii . youre missing something very simple. The energies given in the diagram are in eV. You must convert to J to do your calculation. 1J=ev * (1.6x10^19)

In 4 a ii you worked out by simple subtraction that the energy was = 10.19 ev. But you had to convert that into joules using the equation i mentioned above. (ev*1.6x10^-19). As 1.6 x10^-19 is charge on an electron. Ev is electron volts and 1 electron volt is the work done in accelerating an electron through a potential difference of 1 volt.

That would then give you 1.63*10^-18

In iii it gives you initial energy of electron before incidence and in first part of a ii you worked out how much energy was taken to promote the electron up a shell from n1 to n2. So just simply subtract lost energy from initial energy :smile:
Hey guys, seeing as this is a physics thread, how're you guys going about revising and prepping for the unit 3 EMPA and both its tasks? My teachers haven't really told us anything about it and I honestly have no idea what to revise!😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rules here say you cant discuss content so I will help you within what I can. Try to revise all of your basic knowledge. Just make sure you get your units right and tables and graphs are easy marks. Generally people perform well in empa tasks. Hopefully your teachers have told you to do past tasks from the aqa website.
(edited 9 years ago)
Its against rules to know or discuss empa topics as you should not know the task. But as I said in terms of prep the onyl way you can prep is technique. Read examiners reports from past? Mark schemes?...
Okay will do! I would normally be a bit relaxed about it, but it's just that we haven't really done a mock and they haven't told us anything at all! But thank you so much for the advice!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries, just use the online resources :smile:
How's everyone feeling for unit 1? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

E to D and D to B.

To go between both of those energy levels, the same amount of energy has to be lost. Since energy is proportional to frequency, if they both require to lose the same amount of energy, they both will release a photon of the same frequency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
E to D and D to B.

To go between both of those energy levels, the same amount of energy has to be lost. Since energy is proportional to frequency, if they both require to lose the same amount of energy, they both will release a photon of the same frequency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I missed the last part earlier, "of the same frequency," and was completely baffled for about 10 minutes. :wink: Note to self: Re-read the question!
Original post by PotterPhysics
Thanks! I missed the last part earlier, "of the same frequency," and was completely baffled for about 10 minutes. :wink: Note to self: Re-read the question!

Indeed - every word counts with the unit one paper, I find.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed - every word counts with the unit one paper, I find.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, and don't misread questions either! If I had a penny every time that happened, I would be rich.
How much do we need to know about oscilloscopes in unit 1?
Original post by GrandMasti
How much do we need to know about oscilloscopes in unit 1?

Quite a detailed amount, I'd say, as six mark questions involving them has come up before (June 2012 comes to mind).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
for questions on suvat, can you use s= 0.5(U+V)t when they are talking about an object moving horizontally? thanks:smile:
Original post by boyyo
for questions on suvat, can you use s= 0.5(U+V)t when they are talking about an object moving horizontally? thanks:smile:

If the object is accelerating at a constant acceleration, then of course.

If there is no acceleration, that equation simply becomes displacement = velocity x time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
If the object is accelerating at a constant acceleration, then of course.

If there is no acceleration, that equation simply becomes displacement = velocity x time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clarifying that:smile:
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any good online resources/notes for revision on both Units 1 and 2?

Hope everyone is revising well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending