The Student Room Group

AQA Physics: PHYA1 Tuesday 19th May 2015 (AM) and PHYA2 Thursday 04th June 2015 (PM)x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by durtydawg
Im almost 100% sure 27 was the correct angle for alpha, using the proper method people saying its 8.1 are getting confused because alpha is the angle of refraction but its a different angle of refraction to the 65 given to you in the question as 65 is the refraction from glass to block and alpha is the angle of refraction from the block to air

Yes. I'm sure no one has pointed out that 8 degrees is impossible, it is going into air, how the hell can it bend more towards the normal, it had to be greater than the angle of incidence (which was 25 I think) because it is going into a less dense medium.
:biggrin:
That paper was so hard in my opinion :/
Original post by liverpool2044
i got 27.4 and 54.4

same!
Original post by jhjamie
The angle of incidence was 65.

can you pleas explain to me how? i got 27 as the angle cuz the light was going from a material of high to low refractive index :s
Original post by QueNNch
α = 8.1
Theta = 35.5
for me. Angle α was (90 - angle of incidence)!!

Yeah I think that's what I got
Original post by particlestudent
Yes. I'm sure no one has pointed out that 8 degrees is impossible, it is going into air, how the hell can it bend more towards the normal, it had to be greater than the angle of incidence (which was 25 I think) because it is going into a less dense medium.

But alpha WASN'T the angle of refraction! It was 90 - angle and I'm sure it was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

8 degrees wouldn't bend more towards the normal. Remember the normal is at right angles to the slope.
Im 99% sure

Alpha 8.9
Theta 53/54

I checked both at the end of the exam...
Alpha was between the ray and the surface of the liquid, hence it was 90-(angle of refraction)

Also, whats the general consensus on grade boundaries ?
How many marks for an A???
Original post by Mattematics
I did breaking stress and Young's Modulus.

Other answers I can remember: v/t graph was a Z shape with the two descending gradients parallel. Think I got ~24kg for the mass of aluminium. Something like 54 for angle alpha (pretty sure it's wrong, I worked out the angle of refraction then subtracted it from 90). 0.4 or something for the distance to the screen. 10.1 for one of the ball questions.

I put 10 to 2sig fig because that was the least accurate value used in the question.... (They had used 2sig AND 3sig so I went with 2)
Grade boundaries predictions?
Original post by QueNNch
α = 8.1
Theta = 35.5
for me. Angle α was (90 - angle of incidence)!!

That's exactly what I got

It is 8 degrees, the angle of refraction was about 81 degrees, however it asking for the angle from the transparent substance to the angle of refraction. Therefore it was 90-81=8.1, around that value.
Original post by JC_Costales
I used the graph above that question and did v=u + at to get 0.25 seconds

Then I used s=(u+v)/2 x t , rearrange it and got 40

He must of been andy murray to smash the tennis ball like that
Original post by -jordan-
8 degrees wouldn't bend more towards the normal. Remember the normal is at right angles to the slope.

Yeah so surely because the angle from the normal is smaller, it is bending towards it........
Original post by mickel_w
Im 99% sure

Alpha 8.9
Theta 53/54

I checked both at the end of the exam...
Alpha was between the ray and the surface of the liquid, hence it was 90-(angle of refraction)

Also, whats the general consensus on grade boundaries ?
How many marks for an A???

Original post by Ayaz123

Same or less than last year's.
People did make mistakes because questions were tricky.
Original post by Ayaz123

People at my school agreed it was pretty easy so I think lowest for and A might be 78% (near 80% raw)
Original post by TripleScience
It is 8 degrees, the angle of refraction was about 81 degrees, however it asking for the angle from the transparent substance to the angle of refraction. Therefore it was 90-81=8.1, around that value.

I'm getting confused now:s-smilie:
Original post by Sniperdon227
He must of been andy murray to smash the tennis ball like that

i was laughing at that paper, i was thinking as to how the hell i got the answer
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm getting confused now:s-smilie:

same lol

are there any proper mark schemes made
was the volume 9x10^-5 or something along those lines

and mass of aluminium 23.9 so basically 24kg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending