The Student Room Group

Taking off my hijab

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by samba
It's not me who said that. Pretty much every muslim I know has told me it's a cultural thing and not part of the religion.

Are they wrong?

There is no right or wrong it is difference of opinion. You shouldn't insult them just because you don't like what they wear.
Original post by Radk
That's fine I appreciate that you've got an opinion.
I think that what they said comes across negatively.
So let's just agree to disagree.

If you're desperate to believe that you're a victim, then you will read that into people's words.

I can't stop you from perceiving persecution in every innocent comment
Reply 22
Original post by al_94
There is no right or wrong it is difference of opinion. You shouldn't insult them just because you don't like what they wear.

I'm not insulting them? :confused:
What do you see when you look at me
Do you see someone limited,
or someone free
All some people can do is just look and stare
Simply because they can't see my hair
Others think I am controlled and uneducated
They think that I am limited and un-liberated
They are so thankful that they are not me
Because they would like to remain "free"
Well free isn't exactly the word I would've used
Describing women who are cheated on and abused
They think that I do not have opinions or voice
They think that being hooded isn't my choice
They think that the hood makes me look caged
That my husband or dad are totally outraged
All they can do is look at me in fear
And in my eye there is a tear
Not because I have been stared at or made fun of
But because people are ignoring the one up above
On the day of judgment they will be the fools
Because they were too ashamed to play by their own rules
Maybe the guys won't think I am a cutie
But at least I am filled with more inner beauty
See I have declined from being a guy's toy
Because I won't let myself be controlled by a boy
Real men are able to appreciate my mind
And aren't busy looking at my behind
Hooded girls are the ones really helping the Muslim cause
The role that we play definitely deserves applause
I will be recognized because I am smart and bright
And because some people are inspired by my sight
The smart ones are attracted by my tranquility
In the back of their mind they wish they were me
We have the strength to do what we think is right
Even if it means putting up a life long fight
You see we are not controlled by a mini skirt and tight shirt
We are given only respect, and never treated like dirt
So you see, we are the ones that are free and liberated
We are not the ones that are sexually terrorized and violated
We are the ones that are free and pure
We're free of STD's that have no cure
So when people ask you how you feel about the hood
Just sum it up by saying 'baby its all good'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally wouldn't make much of an effort to befriend someone in a hijab. Only because it is an outward expression that they are clearly indoctrinated and hold views I do not agree with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by samba
I'm not insulting them? :confused:

You are clearly trying to make a mockery and ridicule them for how they dress.
Reply 26
Original post by al_94
You are clearly trying to make a mockery and ridicule them for how they dress.

No, I'm just describing what they look like as I didn't know the official term.
Reply 27
Original post by young_guns
If you're desperate to believe that you're a victim, then you will read that into people's words.

I can't stop you from perceiving persecution in every innocent comment

I'm not desperate to believe anything, you're just plucking stuff out of thin air there methinks.
Ok I can see what you're saying there.
I didn't quote the OP so when I wrote my OP I couldn't remember everything word for word, I wrote based on the impression I got.
My perspective on things and my experiences shaped my opinion, that is true.
But I still get a negative vibe from this reaction.
Like I said, I think it would be best if we just allow each other to form our own opinions.
Lol if they can't accept you for who you are then believe me they are far far away from being your true friends. Instead of worrying about some losers who want to spend some hot time with you, you should find some real friends who would accept you for who you are.
Not at all. One of my friends I hung around with in secondary school wore a hijab and it never bothered me the slightest. I don't recall assuming she would be a certain way cos she wore one. I just started talking to her and before I knew it we were friends. She stopped wearing it for years though (not sure why). Now she's married and wears one again.
(edited 9 years ago)
You're from Birmingham right?
Somehow you also being an only girl in hijab in that group does not compute.
Original post by samba
hijab = np
those darth vader outfits = nono

Why would you call it as 'darth vader outfits'?
For as long as I can remember, those niqabis or the ones with the burqas can still speak clearly without making some weird hissing sounds like they can't breathe or anything.
Original post by crosstalk
They do realize that wearing a hijab is a personal choice?! Also, I am quite surprised that they expect their friends to get 'trashed'. Surely there are other ways of having fun?!

At first I was quite taken aback when they said that but I guess drinking or get wasted is a part of the lifestyle here so who am I to judge right?

Original post by sdotd
least they told you
most would say it behind your back

You made a point but it had such a negative connotation to it; like racist or even discriminative. It's troubling to think how my hijab bothers them so much to a point where they need to devalue my self worth.

Original post by ThatPerson
I think you have to look at it from the other perspective as well. To me a Hijab signifies a conservative religious attitude - why would he ask you out if he believes you are committed to Islam's teachings, which expressly prohibit it? Again, why would they ask you to come with them to clubs when it also wouldn't be in tune with your religion?

How would I know? I am always a person with an open mind so for as long as I've been working with them, I still joke and laugh with them. It was fun. But that 'fun' is not necessarily associated with 'flirting' or anything. I believe I still keep my manners intact as any other practising Muslim would.
Also to the person who say "they are just the whispers of satan", I don't think it needs to be said, but I'll say it anyway: what absolute bull****.

Original post by young_guns
It's up to you, but I think it would be a mistake to dislike them or block them because of this. I think you're being a bit precious.

What they were saying, in their cack-handed way, was that they like your company and think you're cool, that you were different from their preconceptions of what a hijab-wearer would be like. It was supposed to be a compliment, admittedly ham-fisted in its expression.

And it has nothing to do with friendship coming at the expense of the hijab; it's a relationship coming at the expense of the hijab. That's very different. Just as you have your standards relating to your hijab, he has his standards that he would not date someone he believes is adhering to a superstitious and regressive practice. What he was saying, clearly, was that he liked you as more than a friend and wished it could have been more.

Look, if you want to feel all offended and go into the typical victimhood mode that many Muslims seem to thrive on, go ahead. These guys clearly liked you. You are welcome to turn that into a negative and hate them for their "Islamophobia" if you so wish

I don't hate them, never said I did. I was just really offended when they had to bring up my hijab as part of the issue. Regarding the 'dating' bit, I never expect that he would be attracted to me so I guess I just feel the need to take a step back to justify my initial intention when befriending them.

Original post by New- Emperor
It's not a probelm for me (White mail) if somone wheres a Hijab or not at the end of the day you are in the UK and there are a few cutral diffrences. maby you could adapd yourself without compromising you beleafs substuse the hijab for a hat maby or don't where it in halls just when you are in uni or somthing. Go out but just don't drink . One final thaught are you living on your own why not ask that guy out he obviously likes you but is a bit soried because he is not a Muslim and some ove the older genration Muslims forbit the daugters to date non muslims i don't think you should let that stop you adapt but don't change for anyone

Thank you:smile: I wouldn't mind hanging out with them but only at appropriate places. Simply because they often go to bars and that's like the last place I would wanna be in.
Original post by vanillapod
The people who matter won't judge you or will stop judging you whilst you explain they're prejudice. Don't change yourself for others; be confident in the decisions you make. You wear hijab for yourself and God not for random people on the street. I'm pretty sure you won't 'lose friends' by wearing a hijab. I, personally, would not want to be friends with people who didn't like me because of a head covering

Thank you very much for your kind words!:smile:
I'm glad the rest of my classmates are really open minded and friendly regardless of our cultural differences.
Reply 34
Original post by ResidentHillCry
At the end of last year that I was placed into a group of all males (they are locals) for a project. Initially, there was some awkward tension between us, especially when I was the only female and a hijabi. But I made an effort to not be awkward and joke with them in order to slash through the tense atmosphere. We hung out and laughed together to get the project done.

It was until a few days ago, when we all gathered in a group again, few of them told me they were quite surprised that I was such a fun person despite how I look. I asked them what do they mean by that. They said that it is such a shame that I have to conform to Islamic rules when they know I could have been a lot more outgoing than that; go out with them and get trashed on the weekends. One of them even went,'I really like you. I would have dated you if it wasn't because of your hijab'. I was so hurt. I never knew a friendship would come at an expense of 'taking my hijab off'.
The deadline is coming in about 2 weeks time and I couldn't bring myself to look into their eyes again. I knew I should have said something but I was literally gobsmacked. Knowing that I'm not in my own country, so I understand their ignorance on this issue, Now, I'm just off doing my own part in the group and not caring what the others are doing.

Do you reckon that I should say something back to them? I was just wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation? For non-Muslims, are you really embarrassed to be seen with your Muslim friends, especially the hijab-wearing ones? I know some who do.

Sister, do what you want to do. Don't let others judge you and be proud of who you are.

I have lived in Saudi Arabia for quite some time and have seen women who cover their faces, even their eyes. I was absolutely fine with it.
But that is not the case when I see a hijabi here in the UK. I do feel slightly uncomfortable, despite having lived in a very conservative nation previously.

As one of your ''friends'' said, I would feel slightly apprehensive dating a hijabi too, unless I have known her for a long time and if she seems liberal, then it's okay.

This is my opinion. But don't let yourselves be controlled by others. Do what makes you happy. If you feel like taking it off, then take it off.
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
I personally wouldn't make much of an effort to befriend someone in a hijab. Only because it is an outward expression that they are clearly indoctrinated and hold views I do not agree with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not like they wanna shove their beliefs down your throat upon the first meeting and turn you into a potential convert.
Reply 36
Original post by mkap
er if only you realised that Shaytaan is satan in Arabic :colondollar:

So you spell certain things in Arabic but the majority in English? Being from Londres I find that quite strange

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a way, those guys are just the product of their contexts. It seems like you've got a chance to teach them their preconceptions were misjudged. The more we do this the more peace can be built between all peoples. Maybe you could explain a little more about Islam, and your reasons for your choice in wearing a hijab, and they may become more understanding than you would've thought.
pics of face for further evaluation
Tbh, I can see where they're coming from. People who wear any form of religious dress in public tend to be more conservative in their religion, so if you're wearing a hijab, that's a sign that you're a stricter muslim, and something the majority of people will be uncomfortable with. If you're giving off this aurora of 'strict muslim' then their opinions are definitely justifiable. If that's not the type of person you want to be viewed as, drop the hijab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending