The Student Room Group

A Levels for Neuroscience?

Hi guys, basically I want to study neuroscience at university and am now faced with the daunting task of choosing my A Levels. I was originally considering taking English, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. However, despite being quite good at maths, I don't enjoy the subject whatsoever and my least favourite teacher will be teaching it. So, instead of putting myself through two years of pain I have chosen not to take it. My teachers are expecting me to take four A Levels, which leaves an option open for me. I understand that most courses will be available to me as I have picked both sciences, but I'm not entirely sure. Any input would be much appreciated:smile:
Reply 1
What do you think of psychology? I'm guessing it'd have a fair bit of relevance to your degree?
Reply 2
Original post by vela1
What do you think of psychology? I'm guessing it'd have a fair bit of relevance to your degree?
My Sixth Form doesn't offer it, unfortunately :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Na11Fine
My Sixth Form doesn't offer it, unfortunately :frown:

I'd say pick a subject you'll find relatively easy or interesting. Don't see any subject holding you back considering you have Chem and Bio.
Don't do maths if you don't enjoy it otherwise you'll find the next two years tedious and you run the risk of not doing as well due to a lack of enjoyment.

Biology and Chemistry are fine for a neuroscience degree so instead of maths I'd recommend you do something you enjoy and can see yourself doing well in. It doesn't matter you not having studied psychology as it's not a requirement for neuroscience.

I'm an A2 student studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with the hope of applying for neuroscience this year (woo gap year) so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 5
My sister does neuroscience at uni. She took Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. She dropped Geography at A2. Just pick any subject for your fourth one you are going to drop.

EDIT: Just seen that you don't like maths. Just make sure to pick the two sciences and pick anything else for the other two. Doesn't have to be relevant at all.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest