The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Chances of getting into Neuroscience BSc? bristol

So i’ve noticed bristol do not require bio or chem a level to take neuroscience, but just require 2 science/maths subjects. I don’t take either bio/chem, but I take maths and psych so technically fit the requirements. I’m just exploring my options (and I know I wouldn’t be able to apply for neuroscience at a lot of places), but i’m just wondering what my actual chances are of getting into this course without having done bio or chem? I’m purely asking in terms of application (as if I were to get an offer I would start learning the content for those subjects anyways).

I’m aware I have not taken the ‘right’ a levels for neuroscience, but I’m just exploring my options.
Original post by Anonymous
So i’ve noticed bristol do not require bio or chem a level to take neuroscience, but just require 2 science/maths subjects. I don’t take either bio/chem, but I take maths and psych so technically fit the requirements. I’m just exploring my options (and I know I wouldn’t be able to apply for neuroscience at a lot of places), but i’m just wondering what my actual chances are of getting into this course without having done bio or chem? I’m purely asking in terms of application (as if I were to get an offer I would start learning the content for those subjects anyways).

I’m aware I have not taken the ‘right’ a levels for neuroscience, but I’m just exploring my options.

Bristol is unusual in that they publish an "Undergraduate Admissions Statement" for each course stating the criteria they use when making offers. The one which covers B140 Neuroscience (BSc) is here. In it they say:

"Applications are scored and ranked based on their academic record, according to their achieved or predicted results with the following weightings:
GCSE 20% | A-Level 80%"

(I was at their open day on Friday and I'm sure that say that when they score GCSE they take the best 8, and when they score A levels, they take the best 3 - if that's relevant to you.)

Note that they make no mention within the Admissions Statement of scoring some A level subjects more highly than others. So if you meet the "two core science/mathematics subjects", which means "Psychology, Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics (or Further Mathematics)" then you the same offer likelihood as another candidate who does and who scores the same as you.

Note that they also say "We may refer to the personal statement and reference to differentiate between applicants with similar academic profiles." So if they've decided to make 350 (or whatever) offers and your GCSE/A level score puts in the band which includes the 350th entry in their ranked list of candidates, then they'll look at your Personal Statement; otherwise they won't. If they look at your Personal Statement, they'll expect to see "Interest in and commitment to subject or a related biomedical science". That might be where someone who hasn't taken Biology would struggle.

Is seems to be a pure and clinical approach: Does the candidate meet the course requirements? If so, score by GCSEs (20%) and A levels (80%). Rank all candidates by these scores. Make offers to the top N (where N is somewhere between 325 and 450, looking at previous years).
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending