The Student Room Group

REALLY struggling.. Requesting Help with revision please.

Hello :smile:

I currently Study Geography, Psychology and Biology at A2..
I came into A level expecting to get B's or A's... I knew I could and I still know I can.. but I wasn't ready at the time and screwed myself over compeltely.. DDE is what I came out with but with kinda extreme individual grades :P
Geography U A
Psychology E B
Biology D D D

So I decided to carry on through into A2 and resit 4 of the exams.. Geo, Psych and 2 Bio exams.
This year, since October, I have stayed behind school (Everyday I finish at 1:15, except Tue which is 3) until around 5pm working (Last few weeks it has been until around 6-7pm) ...
But recently, I have been doing past papers and I'm not doing great at all... Really not happy and I am starting to get even more worried than I was before...

Pretty much, I have a few questions - I know it isn't too late yet to pull things back around but how? I am not sure what to do. I plan on doing a lot more past papers over the coming months and I plan on trying to do as much note work as possible.. I need to get B's to get into Uni. It shouldn't be too hard, but i feel I am making it harder than it should be..
In my mocks, I got an A in geography, D in Biology and a D in Psychology. (I didn't do enough revision for any of these topics in my opinion).. So i know I CAN do it. I'm just struggling like hell at the momemt...

What did you do/are you doing to revise?
I feel like I have never been taught how to revise, and i don't feel I know how I revise best... if possible, indivudal subject tips would be handy as well.

Thanks for any replies :smile:
Original post by Narippo
Hello :smile:

I currently Study Geography, Psychology and Biology at A2..
I came into A level expecting to get B's or A's... I knew I could and I still know I can.. but I wasn't ready at the time and screwed myself over compeltely.. DDE is what I came out with but with kinda extreme individual grades :P
Geography U A
Psychology E B
Biology D D D

So I decided to carry on through into A2 and resit 4 of the exams.. Geo, Psych and 2 Bio exams.
This year, since October, I have stayed behind school (Everyday I finish at 1:15, except Tue which is 3) until around 5pm working (Last few weeks it has been until around 6-7pm) ...
But recently, I have been doing past papers and I'm not doing great at all... Really not happy and I am starting to get even more worried than I was before...

Pretty much, I have a few questions - I know it isn't too late yet to pull things back around but how? I am not sure what to do. I plan on doing a lot more past papers over the coming months and I plan on trying to do as much note work as possible.. I need to get B's to get into Uni. It shouldn't be too hard, but i feel I am making it harder than it should be..
In my mocks, I got an A in geography, D in Biology and a D in Psychology. (I didn't do enough revision for any of these topics in my opinion).. So i know I CAN do it. I'm just struggling like hell at the momemt...

What did you do/are you doing to revise?
I feel like I have never been taught how to revise, and i don't feel I know how I revise best... if possible, indivudal subject tips would be handy as well.

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Well I'm currently doing my AS's and I find that I make notes or do essays to being all the knowledge together (might be good for psychology) or get a revision guide and I find reading it out loud like I'm teaching it to myself helps it stick, and if you don't remember it repeat it and say it in a different way (i know this sounds stupid but it really works!)
However, what helps the most is once you kind of know the knowledge do papers and look at the mark scheme because usually there are ways you can pick up marks easily when you know how just by using key words or something (for biology)
I hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 2
I did the same subjects and I was failing Geography. I write notes down, and re-write them so as to remember the key points. Something that helped me was making a timetable with what topic to revise and when. And I made sure to take breaks in between so I could have some time to relax and just think about it.
I'd say find what works for you, and stick to it. And with past papers it does take a while to start doing good at them. During my AS I was so worried about Bio mcq I did all the papers I could find. The first few times just take your time, but once you get the hang of it start timing yourself.
With psychology, read, read everything you're given. I'm not sure what "syllabus" you're doing (I did CIE) and we had case studies, and a lot of people don't bother reading the original studies, but for me making notes from those helped me a lot.

All in all remember to not push yourself way too hard :smile:
Hope I helped a little at least, feel free to message me if I can help with any notes or anything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending