The Student Room Group

How big of a step up is it..?

I will be going to uni next year to study Maths [hopefully:biggrin:]
Was just wondering; how big of a step-up is it from A-Level? Is it manageable? And how good do you have to be.

At the moment I'm finishing off my A-Levels. Predicted grade for Maths is A* and I have faith in myself that getting an A* is more than possible.

Any ideas?

P.S I also do AS F-Maths and I'm going to be self-teaching FP2&3 once my exams are over
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
:bump:
Original post by edothero
I will be going to uni next year to study Maths [hopefully:biggrin:]
Was just wondering; how big of a step-up is it from A-Level? Is it manageable? And how good do you have to be.

At the moment I'm finishing off my A-Levels. Predicted grade for Maths is A* and I have faith in myself that getting an A* is more than possible.

Any ideas?

P.S I also do AS F-Maths and I'm going to be self-teaching FP2&3 once my exams are over

Doable and definitely easy provided you're not afraid to ask questions and provided you like a challenge and have good resources.

Just recently made a MASSIVE step myself to be honest :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Binary Freak
Doable and definitely easy provided you're not afraid to ask questions and provided you like a challenge and have good resources.

Just recently made a MASSIVE step myself to be honest :smile:

Massive step, how so?
Massive step, how so?

GCSE Foundation to the equivalent of C1/C2 Mathematics for the starter/refresher section on our UG course.. Then jumped from that to the equivalent of FP4 (AQA) all in the time frame of 6 weeks
Reply 5
Original post by Binary Freak
GCSE Foundation to the equivalent of C1/C2 Mathematics for the starter/refresher section on our UG course.. Then jumped from that to the equivalent of FP4 (AQA) all in the time frame of 6 weeks

I guess it's too late to escape :boing:

Good luck to you
I guess it's too late to escape :boing:

Good luck to you

I know right.. On many occasions I've thought of just giving up and getting that 40% just for the sake of my own ego.. But god damn it is beyond satisfying when you see what's going on and once you've solved it :proud:

Thanks.. You too :smile:
Depends on where you study tbh.

I've been told by some mathmos that the difficulty is insane and doing well in tests like STEP/AEA didn't necessarily mean that doing the degree would be manageable.

On the other hand, at some institutions, Further Mathematics may not even be required so you may spend some of the first year doing a recap of material you're already familiar with.

Either way, as long as you maintain a strong work ethic, it's likely your odds of doing well will be good.

Quick Reply

Latest