The Student Room Group

A-Level English Literature

Hi I'm in year 13 and I'm still at a loss for how to improve my English lit grade. In parents evening and feedback, I'm constantly told that I'm not "thinking big enough", as well as how my analysis is not good enough. I never find it discouraging because I'm really enjoying the course and the classes, but I never have anything to say in class and my grades never seem to improve even though I try and change how I write each test and assessment

I was wondering if anyone is or was in the same or similar position to me, and if anyone has any advice on how to improve? :smile:)
Original post by pjf1215
Hi I'm in year 13 and I'm still at a loss for how to improve my English lit grade. In parents evening and feedback, I'm constantly told that I'm not "thinking big enough", as well as how my analysis is not good enough. I never find it discouraging because I'm really enjoying the course and the classes, but I never have anything to say in class and my grades never seem to improve even though I try and change how I write each test and assessment

I was wondering if anyone is or was in the same or similar position to me, and if anyone has any advice on how to improve? :smile:)

I wish I could provide support but I am in the same situation as you! I get told I am too vague lol. One thing that has helped is reading the SparkNotes before exams but apart from that I'm at a loss!!!
Reply 2
Hi to both pjf1215 and rowan_willow.
Have more confidence in yourselves! I wonder if you're thinking the problem is bigger than what it actually is. Start with small steps, and you can build on those.
Step One : make sure you're really familiar with the texts you're reading. No substitute for that. If you don't know them, you can't proceed.
Step Two : when you're given a title/topic to address, unpick the wording of it so that you end up with a clear and simple statement of what it is it's asking you to discuss. Once you've got something specific in your mind, it becomes easier to address. Coupled with text knowledge, you'll be able to think of particular parts of the text, relevant quotations and references, and maybe even similarities to other texts.
Step Three : Plan how you're going to take on the essay title. An A3 sheet of plain paper could be where you write down everything that you think you want to use. When you've done that, go back through your ideas, which should be accompanied by references and quotations, and see if you can group them into categories - eg character, theme - and colour-code them with a highlighter pen.
Step Four : This is where you start to raise your grade. Once you've done Steps 1-3, you've probably covered the obvious stuff, which gives you the basis for properly interrogating your text, through the lens of your title. Don't stick only with what you've covered in class. A higher-grade student will think independently, and question authorial intention etc. Remember, English Literature is a great subject to study because it gives you so many opportunities to have a different viewpoint (as long as you can reasonably support it with evidence from the text).
What I've said here is pretty general guidance. It would be helpful if I knew what texts you were studying, to see if I can suggest something more focused.
At the end of it all, though, I would suggest that - if you haven't done so already - ask your teacher. To say your responses are not suggestive of 'thinking big enough', or are 'too vague' is fairly vague in itself.
Anyway, think about what I've said. It seems basic, but maybe it will focus your thinking?
Reply 3
Original post by Wilf G
Have more confidence in yourselves! I wonder if you're thinking the problem is bigger than what it actually is. Start with small steps, and you can build on those.
Step One : make sure you're really familiar with the texts you're reading. No substitute for that. If you don't know them, you can't proceed.
Step Two : when you're given a title/topic to address, unpick the wording of it so that you end up with a clear and simple statement of what it is it's asking you to discuss. Once you've got something specific in your mind, it becomes easier to address. Coupled with text knowledge, you'll be able to think of particular parts of the text, relevant quotations and references, and maybe even similarities to other texts.
Step Three : Plan how you're going to take on the essay title. An A3 sheet of plain paper could be where you write down everything that you think you want to use. When you've done that, go back through your ideas, which should be accompanied by references and quotations, and see if you can group them into categories - eg character, theme - and colour-code them with a highlighter pen.
Step Four : This is where you start to raise your grade. Once you've done Steps 1-3, you've probably covered the obvious stuff, which gives you the basis for properly interrogating your text, through the lens of your title. Don't stick only with what you've covered in class. A higher-grade student will think independently, and question authorial intention etc. Remember, English Literature is a great subject to study because it gives you so many opportunities to have a different viewpoint (as long as you can reasonably support it with evidence from the text).
What I've said here is pretty general guidance. It would be helpful if I knew what texts you were studying, to see if I can suggest something more focused.
At the end of it all, though, I would suggest that - if you haven't done so already - ask your teacher. To say your responses are not suggestive of 'thinking big enough', or are 'too vague' is fairly vague in itself.
Anyway, think about what I've said. It seems basic, but maybe it will focus your thinking?

Hi i do othello and othello i was wondering if you could give me more focused advice.
Reply 4
Hi SaiPathala.
'Othello' is such an interesting play, for so many different reasons.
Do you have a specific essay/research title you need to be looking at? Based on that, it's easier to give more useful guidance.
Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by Wilf G

hi do you have anything for Hamlet, focused around Ophelia and Gertrude

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending